Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase the OME FJ3-FRCC lift tomorrow a.m. and I am not going to be adding aftermarket tires just yet. I have the stock 265/70/17's and was wondering (I did do a search but only found a few pics) if anyone is running this setup on there daily driver? Pics would help a bit, but I am just wondering what it will look/drive/feel like without say 285's or something...Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I think if you go to my build up thread you will see what you are talking about.

Nope, just checked, scratch that. I had to wait to get my tires as well. It doesn't look that out of the ordinary. You are going from 31.5 tires to 32.5-33" tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice rig, but I was talking about stock tires not your 34 swampers or anything. I only have 900 miles on my rig and don't feel like shelling out more dough for tires, I would rather get some use out of them. I didn't see anywhere in your build up with your rig having stock size tires. maybe I missed em'? thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Very nice rig, but I was talking about stock tires not your 34 swampers or anything. I only have 900 miles on my rig and don't feel like shelling out more dough for tires, I would rather get some use out of them. I didn't see anywhere in your build up with your rig having stock size tires. maybe I missed em'? thanks for the response.
haha yeah, i thought i had the pics of no lift, lift, lift and tires. bt i guess i forgot to add that one to the build up, let me check photobucket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome ya that'd be great. How long did you run your rig without bigger tires? And did it look terrible or no? I am just trying to weigh out my options. I want to dump money into things I need not new tires when these ones have only a few hundred miles. I know it would be beneficial but ahh who knows.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
here ya go: OME Mediums on with stock rims and tires

I think it looks fine if you are on a budget like i am and can't do all of your big mods at the same time. I drove on stock tires for about 1-2 months. I didn't mind the way it looked, i just wanted the added traction. For a comparison, here is it with 285 BFG at's.

and stock:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey layonnn perfect!!! Thanks for the pics I really appreciate it. I don't think it looks terribly bad. I just feel like if I can get away with not spending another grand or more on tires for a few months I can use it toward something else. I guess. Ehh. But I am going to run the 884 coils up front because as of now I do not want a bumper or winch. I know later on it will change. But hell I am 20 years old and just looking to get my foot in the door with what I have...Thanks again greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've ran my FJ with stock tires for a while too. I have Walker Evans 3" lift. They lift the FJ to the same height. I have some pics in my build up thread (in sig.). It looks a little goofy, but you'll have great flex! :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hey layonnn perfect!!! Thanks for the pics I really appreciate it. I don't think it looks terribly bad. I just feel like if I can get away with not spending another grand or more on tires for a few months I can use it toward something else. I guess. Ehh. But I am going to run the 884 coils up front because as of now I do not want a bumper or winch. I know later on it will change. But hell I am 20 years old and just looking to get my foot in the door with what I have...Thanks again greatly appreciated!
No worries. If you do decide to go ahead with a bumper and what not, the coils are not terribly hard to change out to a higher rate spring. I originally had 885's then added a winch, so i switched to 886's springs. There are plenty enough thread on here to instruct you on doing the install yourself. Most places will charge at least 400 for the install.

You may even be able to find someone on here selling some slightly used, more aggressive tires for a sweet deal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I have been browsing a bit and have found numerous topics that have instructed me on what to do. It seems like most people start out small with the FJ and then continue to progress. I will be doing the lift with a few buddies that own a tire shop in town we will be doing it after hours for a cheap price. But, after that I hope I will be inclined to do mods with one or two others when back in Chico. Thanks for the info again.

And I will look around for tires, ideally I would like to find a set of rims with tires mounted making it easily available to switch them out on my own terms. But only time will tell.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad I found this thread. People left and right trying to help me out. This an awesome community to be apart of! I appreciate Fjamming your help and hope in a few months I can take those rims and tires off your hands...I hope that Nor-Cal as meets so I can definitely introduce myself soon. Thanks again for your time and information. :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts