Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Should not be an issue but make sure you have the spare and a plug kit is always good. Of course, plenty of others will be carrying spares, plug kits, and air tanks/compressors. Be careful and watch out for the "sharpies" that can cut a sidewall.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Should not be an issue but make sure you have the spare and a plug kit is always good. Of course, plenty of others will be carrying spares, plug kits, and air tanks/compressors. Be careful and watch out for the "sharpies" that can cut a sidewall.
What he said, you want have a problem with NOT making the trail, you'll only be more susceptible to punctures. Buy a repair kit and read the directions before you come!

And like Steve said, I bet 80% of FJ's the first year were completely stock.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Air down, be extra careful when you lose traction, and watch for sharp rocks as well as anything that will pinch the tire. Oh, and never underestimate A-TRAC!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
You will be fine but be prepared to get the mod bug bid time. Either way if you get stuck you will have lots of help.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Both of my younger brothers ran their completely stock FJ's last year on these loops with out much problem at all. No Lift, stock street tires, etc. I did, of course, look way more cool with my BFG's and Revtech lift!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I did the first two Summits on stock tires, rarely did I even air down. I've done black Bear twice, Imogene 5 times, Alpine loop, etc. I think you will be fine.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Believe it or not, as far as tires go, I think it may be the West side of Ophir that would pose the most threat.

Granted, it's the easiest trail in the region. However, it's got a lot of sharp, skree-slope type of rock lying around on the trail....in fact, from what I recall when we did it a few years ago, there's a long stretch where we were just driving over skree on our way down the West side.

The only thing I'd recommend, regardless of whether they are stock or after-market, is that tires have a good amount (I know, that's vague) of tread left. What's a lot? I don't know....I would just prefer not using worn-out tires when going over the 'sharpies' everyone's talking about....they are occasionally unavoidable.

Still, I absolutely echo what everyone else has said.
If you're a careful driver, you will have no problem.
It's mostly dirt/gravel-ish types of roads anyway.
Just bring a repair kit, and don't be afraid to ask for help out there.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I had worn down dunlops and kept up easily with everyone. The trails at the Summit are very easy. It's about the views, not dificulty. That being said I still got a pin hole sized puncture that I easily fixed with a repair kit (bring one).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts