Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought my FJ a few weeks ago and it does not come with a towing hitch stock.
Firstly. Can someone enlighten me what the stock towing hitch is supposed to look like? Does it go thru the frame?

Secondly, I bought the Curt brand hitch and the bolts for the stock recovery point were rusted so bad that when I tried to get them off, I sheared off the head instead.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this and recommendations other than having the weld nuts drilled out and re-tapped?

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
The OEM hitch mounts to the rear cross member.
Many owners go with a third party frame mounted hitch as the OEM receiver can't be used with weight distribution hitches . Here is a post from a recent thread that may help; photos of the OEM hitch installed are here.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience to pass along on the weld nuts.

Reactions: Kotaix

·
11,278 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up returning the Curt hitch and purchasing the OEM trailer hitch as I won't be towing weights that require a weight distribution setup at this time. This will allow me to bypass the broken bolt. It's also much simpler to install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will for sure, they are pretty corroded. I could not get the bolts for the Curt hitch to start in the weld nuts even after going at them with a stainless steel bottle-style brush.

I'm considering putting a helicoil in there to get proper grip on the bolts that face to the rear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The OEM hitch is amazing as long as you don’t use a WD hitch. It can easily handle 500 lbs of downward pressure. The only thing to keep in mind is when you get close to the 500 lbs tongue weight and don’t have WD, handling goes downhill a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the OEM hitch off of ebay (comes in a Toyota genuine parts box). I went to install it and it didn't fit exactly right. The hitch does not make a 90 degree angle, it's slightly less than that so if the lower bolt holes are exposed, the upper 4 bolt don't line up, and the hitch does not fit flush against the frame.

When I went to install it, the tack welds snapped on the first bolt that is supposed to be tightened and the whole bolt-nut combo started spinning, the threads on the bolt were partly damaged from rubbing against the hitch holes because of the misalignment problem.

Anyone had any luck getting Toyota to warranty their parts or assembly in this type of situation? Should I take this to the dealership to get them to fix the problem or am I better off going to a private shop instead of wasting my time with Toyota?

Thanks for the help so far everyone

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
at this point, a partially installed, years old accessory part, the problem is that your own vehicle weld nut snapped off, it might be a challenge getting an OEM to take responsibility for it

the key will be: who's the best shop to work out a problem like this? Typically, it will be your local 4WD truck shop, not a dealer who specializes in quick turnover with 2 year old Priuses and Tacomas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The saga of the towing hitch is finally over after a month. I had a local body shop install the hitch but even after that the light still didn't work because they didn't install the two under hood fuses in the fuse box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts