Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello tech afficianados. I'm looking for a little help / guidance regarding the stock trailer hitch for the FJ Cruiser, in particular the 2011 FJ 4x4 auto. I have a '07 KTM 690 SM, dry weight listed at 339.5 lbs. Will the stock hitch hold-up / be safe and suitable for a motorcycle trailer carrier for this bike? I've attached a link to the carrier I would purchase (Boss Tilt Down Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier). I recently received Issue 08 - 2011 FJ Cruiser brochure and it only lists the towing capacity (5000 lbs). Any guidance regarding the hitch and MX carrier will help immensely.

Boss Tilt Down Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier with Lights Boss Hitch Cargo Carrier B350DBC

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there,

Have you ever been able to figure this out? Were you able to use the carrier on the FJ with that much weight?

I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment and was wondering what you ended up going with.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Yes the tongue rating is 500lbs. You will be fine. I use a hitch carrier for my son's Suzuki 250.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You're pushing the limits carrying that much on the Class 3 , you might want to considering upgrading to a Class 5 hitch. You have to figure its rated to 500LBs AT the tongue , with the carrier you're adding 1-2FT of leverage to the load you're carrying.

Also is that carrier you linked is way more expensive than it needs to be. Check these out.

Lightweight Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier - The AMC-400

The SMC-600 Motorcycle Hauler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts