Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: Stolen catalytic converter

eeeekkkkk....apparently your gas and your CC or the new hot tickets for thieves......

crazy.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

Yeah.. They don't intend to sell the gas, so they don't have to store it. They just keep what they need (tools) in the "ride" and when it needs gas, they stop at the first lonely collection of cars and fill her up.. Ron

Been hearing that too...glad I got BudBuilt beefy gas skid ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts

In SoCal I have heard that 4Runner, Tacoma and FJ catalytic converters are being stolen because they have titanium in them. I have no had mine taken, but given the economic conditions, I take few chances and try to park my FJ in my garage when I am home.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Have not had mine stolen personally, but have had friends have their cats stolen off their 4th gen 4Runners.:flame:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

In SoCal I have heard that 4Runner, Tacoma and FJ catalytic converters are being stolen because they have titanium in them. I have no had mine taken, but given the economic conditions, I take few chances and try to park my FJ in my garage when I am home.
reoccurring urban legend. It may have happened to a guy someone knew in high school who was related to my cousins uncle.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
We have taken reports of catalytic converter theft. It IS a problem Mike. So is drilling into fuel tanks. It's happening, but not at the rate the internet would have you believe.

Copper and brass plumbing and wire theft is more of a problem than fuel and cat theft.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
It's a sporatic problem around the country and needs to be nipped in the bud. I say again, nipped in the bud.

I think the scrap thieves are having a more lucrative time stealing other forms of metal such as copper. Locally, they cleaned out an electrical contractor of many thousands of dollars of wire last summer and also caused a small blackout when stealing wire and equipment from a substation (don't know how they managed not to get shocked to death but I wish they had :devil: )

·
Registered
229 Posts
A co-worker of mine had the converter cut off his Tacoma about two weeks ago. His truck was parked in the employee lot, in broad daylight, near the intersection of two relatively busy streets. This was in the Nashville, TN area.

·
Registered
150 Posts
shows how bad times are right now for folks to go to so much trouble for so little pay off. haven't heard about it here yet but there have been more smash and grab type stuff going on. you don't want to leave stuff in plain view inside.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

My bro in law has a 91 4Runner and had his stolen at Wal Mart here in So Cal in middle of the day. He went in with the kids,came out, backed out and then noticed that the aftermarket exhaust was louder than normal. He then noticed some bolts where he was parked. All of this in a busy parking lot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.