Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

361 - 380 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Yea, that's pretty much the same as Centric recommends. I just was pointing out new vehicle brakes seem to last a lot longer even though I don't believe auto manufacturers are taking newborn vehicles through these break in procedures.
They are expecting you to complete that by following their recommended break in procedure for a new vehicle. The assumption is always made that the procedure is for the engine - there are more mechanical items that need it as well.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
They are expecting you to complete that by following their recommended break in procedure for a new vehicle. The assumption is always made that the procedure is for the engine - there are more mechanical items that need it as well.
No doubt you're right but how many guys with over 100k mi on their factory brakes even read the manual let alone followed break in procedures for the brakes? Some people don't change engine oil knowing they'll trade in the vehicle in two years or so...:|

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
I've had all these parts installed about a year now. One of my calipers is starting to seize ever so slightly again. It'll pull to the right. It could be my factory rear caliper, not sure yet.

RR Racing increased their Willwood 6 Piston prices by $100. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. :D Those would pair nicely with my 37's....

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
No doubt you're right but how many guys with over 100k mi on their factory brakes even read the manual let alone followed break in procedures for the brakes? Some people don't change engine oil knowing they'll trade in the vehicle in two years or so...:|
I did, got me 180k mi on the OEM'S,

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
RR Racing increased their Willwood 6 Piston prices by $100. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. :D Those would pair nicely with my 37's....
I reached out to RR Racing and they said that the previous price was an introduction price. Although the price went up, I asked and they'll extend a group buy to us. I'll start another thread. The 338x32 rotor plus Wilwood caliper seems like a good option. No more seizing!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
James, run the feeler and see who bites while I see if the GB is okay. I don't see a problem with it if no one else is selling it. Did you check PureFJ?
Thanks! I did check PureFJ. It seems like PureFJ only offers Powerstop options and the TRD BBK.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I reached out to RR Racing and they said that the previous price was an introduction price. Although the price went up, I asked and they'll extend a group buy to us. I'll start another thread. The 338x32 rotor plus Wilwood caliper seems like a good option. No more seizing!!
Even with a discount those Willwoods are very high priced

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Even with a discount those Willwoods are very high priced
It's on par with TRD/stoptech etc. So are you saying it's expensive when compared to the DIY option of buying 4Runner calipers? Or are you saying that they're priced high because purchasing ala carte individually, the calipers are not as expensive as the kit makes it out to be?

I need to understand your reasoning because street seeing people with 4r brakes such as @cliffy have a seized caliper or @HeisKai have rusty calipers after upgrading.

Sorry I don't mean to muck up the DIY thread. Thanks for understanding

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah, The 4rnr brakes have bite but I believe them to be just as sticky. Time will tell if I just got a bad one. I only had two mild winters on them and they still looked fairly clean. I never tore the seized one apart to find out what happened since I needed the FJ for work the next day. Yes, I did change the brake fluid when I installed them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To confirm my understanding because I will order OEM front brakes parts today. I don’t want temanufactured calipers. I have 2012 FJ with 33 tires and a lot of weight from accessories

Calipers, rotors and dust shieldsfrom 2010 to 2015 Four runner.
The short studs are only an issue with the SOS Stoptech big brake kit.

Did I get it right? I would have gone with SOS stop tech if it wasn’t for the short stud comments on this and other sites. The work will be done by my dealer and I don’t want mess with modifications on the studs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
To confirm my understanding because I will order OEM front brakes parts today. I don’t want temanufactured calipers. I have 2012 FJ with 33 tires and a lot of weight from accessories

Calipers, rotors and dust shieldsfrom 2010 to 2015 Four runner.
The short studs are only an issue with the SOS Stoptech big brake kit.

Did I get it right? I would have gone with SOS stop tech if it wasn’t for the short stud comments on this and other sites. The work will be done by my dealer and I don’t want mess with modifications on the studs.
I outlined everything on page 30 > post #296

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am upgrading front only.

The referenced post gives details for rear brake calipers (if I read it correctly) and parts for centric parts. Most of the posts talk centric parts, autozone, premium vs non premium and remanufactured.

I am going with Front all Toyota new parts. The statement refers to 5th generation parts. I asked my dealer parts department for 5th generation parts. Honestly they weren’t sure on 5th generation. They said tell me the year. I said 2012, they asked me you sure you don’t need 2015.

It’s about $1500 so I want get it right. Yeah it’s a lot of money but this is my plan.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I would have gone with SOS stop tech if it wasn’t for the short stud comments on this and other sites. The work will be done by my dealer and I don’t want mess with modifications on the studs.
If that's all that's stopping you, aftermarket ARP or similar studs is really easy for a shop to do. Especially if they have 90% of it off already.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I am upgrading front only.

The referenced post gives details for rear brake calipers (if I read it correctly) and parts for centric parts. Most of the posts talk centric parts, autozone, premium vs non premium and remanufactured.

I am going with Front all Toyota new parts. The statement refers to 5th generation parts. I asked my dealer parts department for 5th generation parts. Honestly they weren’t sure on 5th generation. They said tell me the year. I said 2012, they asked me you sure you don’t need 2015.

It’s about $1500 so I want get it right. Yeah it’s a lot of money but this is my plan.

Not to discourage you but $1500 is a lot for something that is only marginally better it seems from the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
No discouragement. Hard to tell from all the reviews the benefits or negatives. Many viewpoints. My FJ has many upgrades - it’s a lot heavier. So it’s a choice. Spend $1000 on stock front and rears (rears need replacing) and find out all is good or spend the money, still feel it needs more and regret not trying. Or then try the modified brakes. With brakes, there are a lot of DIY. My preference on safety stuff like this is leave it to a certified tech. Also stiff hand joints....If I use Toyota parts purchased at and installed by a Toyota dealer I may have some sort of recourse if the brakes warp.
I have spent as much in accessories and upgrades in the FJ I to be at or more than I paid for it. That’s another story.......

361 - 380 of 405 Posts