Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the stud length with SOS, the post from the individual that installed the SOS kit said he found the studs engaged too few threads.

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
Welp, I no longer recommend rebuilt calipers. These are centric and I've had them on for about 1 year. Bleeder screw and line is tight. Looks like I'm gonna have to fork out some dough to get it fixed this weekend. It explains the left pull I was getting this week though!

New Toyota calipers are about $155 ea? These are $50 but I think it may be worth it to get the good stuff from Toyota.

20190526_100815.jpg

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Welp, I no longer recommend rebuilt calipers. These are centric and I've had them on for about 1 year. Bleeder screw and line is tight. Looks like I'm gonna have to fork out some dough to get it fixed this weekend. It explains the left pull I was getting this week though!

New Toyota calipers are about $155 ea? These are $50 but I think it may be worth it to get the good stuff from Toyota.

View attachment 1080660
What do the Stop Tech run ?

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
$1250 for 4 ?
Nah that's just the front calipers, lines, pads. The stoptech kit adds rotors but then you're stuck buying their expensive rotors if you need to replace them. The RR Racing Wilwood kit uses rotors from the 5th gen 4runner like we use in this thread. Nobody makes a rear kit that I know of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All new Toyota parts for front 5th generation 4Runner parts with calipers, rotors, shims, pads, fitting kit and dust shields ran me $1100 out the door with discount from dealer. Rear I went stock with TRD pads. All in except for front pads which should arrive Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the "pulsing" is from uneven pad transfer. I may dish out the cash for Ferodo DS 2500 pads in the future. They are freaking expensive, but one of the first Evo tuners in the 9's could not believe how much bite they had/smooth they were on OE Brembo calipers and rotors in my Evo when they tuned it.

On another note, I think the only way to get away from the seizing calipers is to get away from the OE design. The RR set looks good with OE rotors.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You could be right on pulsing.. Mine did not start doing it until after a caliper seized. Although upon inspecting the pads by eye, I couldn't tell any difference in wear between the pads.. looked even that is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At dealer now getting new genuine Toyota 5th generation 4Runner brakes installed in front (with dust shields). I ended up getting AllPro stainless brake lines from Pure auto. Standard rotors plus TRD pads will go in rear. I attached a picture of the front brakes. Don’t know how long the calipers will stay silver 🙂. I had dealer install so i get the 1 year parts and labor warranty (against stuck calipers and warped rotors). I have a platinum warranty but don’t know if Toyota will cover 4 runner parts in my FJ under that warranty. Based on a post in these forums, I signed up for the Colorado FJ get together in September. Will have 1 -2 people in truck with me so will see how they do. I will give a report after I get some miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update. The dealer tech can’t install the All Pro rear stainless lines cause the fittings are different. Am I missing something? Contacted Pure Auto. The rubber lines will stay in place for now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It turns out the brake lines were correct. The tech was looking for short lines from the the steel line to the calipers. I will have to look at ordering those and getting them installed later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered all the brake parts from the dealer except the lines. When I had my Tacoma 140amp alternator installed by them, I ordered the alternator from them. My dealer supports the local Toyota truck and off road community. Persons talk about getting the best deal. It’s my belief and practice, if we want dealers to support us and survive, we need support them. So I spend my money there and support them. May cost me more but to me it’s important if we want to continue to have this level of support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered all the brake parts from the dealer except the lines. When I had my Tacoma 140amp alternator installed by them, I ordered the alternator from them. My dealer supports the local Toyota truck and off road community. Persons talk about getting the best deal. It’s my belief and practice, if we want dealers to support us and survive, we need support them. So I spend my money there and support them. May cost me more but to me it’s important if we want to continue to have this level of support.
Can you share part numbers? I'm thinking of going the same route, with the 5th gen 4r calipers/rotors up front, and want to make sure I get the right ones.
I get supporting your Toy dealer, but even they are not all equal. Sounds like you have a good one in your area.

TIA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took the part numbers from an earlier post in this thread. I will dig out the receipt by tomorrow and post. I went with standard rotors/TRD pads in rear. The dealer offers special service pricing to people on the Chicago FJ Cruiser forum, they support the local community. From working on my FJ they are now experts in installing skids, aftermarket rear trailing arms, Tacoma towing alternator install, 140 amp fuse, installing submarine mod, brake upgrade, gps tracker install, custom alignment to get rid of rubbing. Its good PR because I took my sister from far away and she purchased an RAV4 there based on the experience with them. She drives there for her service too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the part numbers from an earlier post in this thread. I will dig out the receipt by tomorrow and post. I went with standard rotors/TRD pads in rear. The dealer offers special service pricing to people on the Chicago FJ Cruiser forum, they support the local community. From working on my FJ they are now experts in installing skids, aftermarket rear trailing arms, Tacoma towing alternator install, 140 amp fuse, installing submarine mod, brake upgrade, gps tracker install, custom alignment to get rid of rubbing. Its good PR because I took my sister from far away and she purchased an RAV4 there based on the experience with them. She drives there for her service too.
Thanks. That would be helpful. I'm looking to do this BBK with OEM parts (except for the pads.)

Very cool that about the Chicago FJ forum discount. I'm in the Denver/Boulder area. Not aware of any similar situation.

Cheers.

381 - 400 of 405 Posts