Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 424 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I have a Man-A-Fre SS Brake Hose Kit I bought years ago that I never installed. Anyone know if this kit will be compatible with the 4Runner calipers or will I need to purchase new SS lines?

Also, are you just eating the caliper core charge (RockAuto), or is returning the FJ core OK?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
I have a Man-A-Fre SS Brake Hose Kit I bought years ago that I never installed. Anyone know if this kit will be compatible with the 4Runner calipers or will I need to purchase new SS lines?

Also, are you just eating the caliper core charge (RockAuto), or is returning the FJ core OK?

Thanks.
I assume the SS lines will still fit. If the stock lines fit the new calipers, then the SS stock replacement lines should still fit I would think. I was planning on replacing all the lines with SS while I was at it too....

The 4runner guys have success getting their core charge back, Centric doesn't seem to care which calipers they receive.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I assume the SS lines will still fit. If the stock lines fit the new calipers, then the SS stock replacement lines should still fit I would think. I was planning on replacing all the lines with SS while I was at it too....

The 4runner guys have success getting their core charge back, Centric doesn't seem to care which calipers they receive.
Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
What a great alternative! I can put this kit together as a "package" with all Centric/Stoptech parts, as well as offer different rotors and pads combos if people want.

No need for drilled rotors on a truck, but slotted rotors will help keep pad wear even which all but eliminates the chance that pad material will build up on the rotor causing the dreaded brake pulse / warping. Stoptech slotted rotors are much less prone to cracking compared to the drilled or drilled/slotted
Do you have a link for that? I don't seem to find it on your web

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
It seems the Centric 142 series front calipers are impossible to find right now. I can find a few 142 rears and lots of 141 fronts, but I can't find a single place to purchase 142 series fronts from. :(

Is this just a waiting game until more hit the retailers again?

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
It seems the Centric 142 series front calipers are impossible to find right now. I can find a few 142 rears and lots of 141 fronts, but I can't find a single place to purchase 142 series fronts from. :(

Is this just a waiting game until more hit the retailers again?
I didn't even know there was a 142 series "posi-quiet" calipers. What's the difference? Looks like newer parts?

FWIW I didn't see any in stock either...

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I didn't even know there was a 142 series "posi-quiet" calipers. What's the difference? Looks like newer parts?

FWIW I didn't see any in stock either...
The 142 series come preloaded with PosiQuiet pads, all new pistons, hardware, boots and seals, and are Zinc Dichromate finish, or O.E. colored powder coated.

I'm going to toss the brake pads and use Akebono pads. I've also read that the "finish" isn't that good so will go with the G2 Brake Caliper Paint. So far I've got everything in my cart ready to purchase, except the front rotors. Can't find them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Purchased:

5 - TRD Pro SEMA Matte Black

1 - CENTRIC 142.44587 RR Caliper
1 - CENTRIC 142.44588 LR Caliper
2 - CENTRIC 120.44174 Front Rotors
2 - CENTRIC 120.44128 Rear Rotors
1 - AKEBONO ASP976 Front Pads
1 - AKEBONO ASP606 Rear Pads
2 - SB7100-SS Speed Bleeder Front
2 - SB1010-SS Speed Bleeder Rear

Going to wait it out for the front calipers. Hopefully some will show in the next few months. Not in a hurry since I also have to purchase 5 new tires to fit the 17" rims. :crying
1 - CENTRIC 142.44287 FR Caliper
1 - CENTRIC 142.44288 FL Caliper

I think I ordered the right stuff...

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Doesn't look like the 142 series fronts will be available anytime soon, so I ordered the 141 series fronts.

1 - CENTRIC 141.44287 FR Caliper
1 - CENTRIC 141.44288 FL Caliper

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone else figured out if this setup is significantly better than than the stock fjc brake setup?

I'm running on stock 17in rims if that matters so I'm guessing it'll be the 142 better than 141s?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Has anyone else figured out if this setup is significantly better than than the stock fjc brake setup?

I'm running on stock 17in rims if that matters so I'm guessing it'll be the 142 better than 141s?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Think of the 142 as the "premium" version of the rebuilt caliper. The 142 has all of the hardware replaced, including the pistons. They also have a zinc dichromate finish, so you don't have to paint. Unfortunately, the 142 series is not yet available for the fronts ATM. Just make sure you paint the 141 series before putting them on. I'm going with the POR-15 Caliper Painting Kit in red.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I just installed some TRD front brake pads a few days ago. Seriously they made a pretty big difference by themselves. I really want to get some SS lines and these rotors and calipers and see how awesome they'll be. Gonna have to wait awhile before trying the rest of it though.
I've got all of the hardware now for front and back including SS lines. Will do a front caliper, rotor, and wheel test fit on Saturday and hopefully get the calipers painted too.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I'm not due for brakes for a while yet by then i can get the 142 calipers or i can wait till they come out and do the change over then...are the dust covers a dealer item only? also if someone could post an updated list using the 5th gen Lexus GX470/4Runner Sport parts that would be great and it sounds like it way worth getting the SS brake lines too

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not due for brakes for a while yet by then i can get the 142 calipers or i can wait till they come out and do the change over then...are the dust covers a dealer item only? also if someone could post an updated list using the 5th gen Lexus GX470/4Runner Sport parts that would be great and it sounds like it way worth getting the SS brake lines too
SS brake lines are worth it. I replaced all my lines total of 6 lines. Brake Pedal feedback has improved a lot from stock. Its more responsive by not having the lines expand like the oem rubber hoses did

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 424 Posts