Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
My name is John and I am an FJ-aholic.

Every since I saw the original blue FJ at the Detroit International Auto Show in 2006 I knew that I had to have one...

I fell in love with the color, styling, aftermarket bumpers, and yes, the IFS, because it posed pretty good for the pictures.

At this point though, I was a recent college grad and didn't have $30K burning a hole in my pocket. So I had to stick with my baby...

My 1993 Cherokee Sport was my intro in the world of 4x4's. The Red Rocket (don't make it sound dirty fellas) got me through college at KU and a couple years there after. To keep the spec simple, it had a 3in Skyjacker lift with simple 31x10.5's, Line-X, and stock everything else. It was easy to wheel, simply to operate, and fun to flex; that's why I will always have a soft spot for our Jeep rivals. Wish I still had it for the weekend wheeling...

On to the present. In January of 2010 my wife and I decided it was time for a new vehicle. Needless-to-say I already knew what "we" wanted...especially since I just saw the 2010 TT edition at the St Louis Auto Show the previous week. Later that month, after trying to convince her that the TT was worth the money and that she'd come to like the sandstorm color, we got a 2010 A/T Iceberg FJ :lol:

I am really in love with the all white and it was a color that we could both live with for a long time. This was the first FJ I ever drove on the streets (did the Toyota Off Road track at the St Louis Auto Show that year and loved it) and it was everything I dreamed of since 2006.

I would like to say I started using my "modding" money wisely from the start, buying the things that would make our FJ unstoppable and rugged, but I can't. My wife knew about my love towards my old Jeep and the mods I always wanted to do to it, but she thought that those boyhood dreams would end since we bought a "new", "expensive" vehicle. I don't think she realized or still realizes that stock is not in my vocabulary and I will always want to "mess" with our FJ.

So the first mod to get the stamp of approval from the both of us was... sunroof. It has been 20,000mi since the install and I am still happy and still dry as if it were day 1. A set of FJ Freedom Rear windows would be an INVALUABLE upgrade to compliment the sunroof...MAX AIRFLOW!!!

A Hollandia 790 sunroof was installed by Auto Air Co. in St. Louis, MO. Here's one pic but please see my write-up for further details.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ech/107210-sunroof-hollandia-790-2010-fj.html

Now that I was able to see the light in the world of mods, I turned my attention to some protection.

I decided to purchase a set of hybrid sliders from Demello. Great fit and clean lines drew me to the group buy for these sliders. Yes, there are beefier sliders out there, but these provided the protection I need and slight step for me to reach the roof of the FJ to get my bikes up there. Not the best pic of the sliders but head to Demello's website for a closer look.

**Also, if you have taken a closer look at this picture you'll see that some things are missing (window vinyl).
Please see my write-up that is building towards the look of project "Storm Trooper" = http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...al-tech/119074-black-tape-around-windows.html

Speaking of bikes, I am an avid triathlete and needed something to carry my bike. I purchased an OEM FJ rack from a member and installed it with new hardware to ensure leak free miles ahead. It wasn't too many miles though until I sold the rack to another member. As much as I liked the looks and idea of having a stock rack it really wasn't the answer for me. The answer for me was StornCo Yakadaptors. These nifty aluminum blocks allowed me to re-purpose all of my old Yakima equipment and give me a low-profile, simple way of carrying my bikes...this was all I needed in the first place. If I every need to haul gear I can borrow my friend's Load Warrior basket for the road trips. I highly recommend going the StornCo/Yakima route for all those minimalist roof rack enviers out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dig the sunroof! I miss having a sunroof like my old 4Runner had (and a rear window that rolled down)! I may have to look into getting one now.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
fyi i named mine first... please pick a new name!!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
fyi i named mine first... please pick a new name!!!!
Oh no...I even did a search to verify it. I guess not good enough... I just looked at your build page though and we have one thing in common that is rare...wait for more mods to find out.

Don't worry we will settle this peacefully :cheers:

My project name is two words rather than one, that will at least differentiate us :)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I just looked at your build page though and we have one thing in common that is rare...wait for more mods to find out.
Intriguing...

Nice rig, DIG the sunroof.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The build is finally here!

Show us the scratch from you wheeling, we need to see some carnage on the storm trooper. :rofl:

Looks great John, your mods are well thought out and done right.
Ha, I bought a new fender the next week to hide it from the wife. I will try to get that one pin stripe to show up in a picture...I need to man up and really dent something right? :rocker:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
haha all good or we can be the stormtrooper army... lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha all good or we can be the stormtrooper army... lol
I would like that...lets start a "storm trooper" thread for all the Iceberg guys.

That means that you will all be clones and horrible shots with lazer guns.
pew pew pew...miss

I plan on getting more pic up here over the weekend but I am working on a big writeup for a mod I did and want to get that done first...pics are promised though.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Awesome buddy!! Glad to see you have a build page now....bout time! Ha ha! I guess I should rename mine "Darth Vader" so we can take over the galaxy.....or maybe the Missouri trails. :)
Ha!! That's kind of funny...My first FJ was an all black with tint, and I was about to give a co-worker a ride home one night and he says "We're gonna take a ride in Vader...." I love it. :lol:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess we have 3 Storm Troopers. I have a 4runner so it makes it okay, right? Did you sign up for the Missouri 4x4 group, John? I think they're doing a trip on the 30th.
Yeah Corbin, you are part of the club. I need some more pics of your 4Runner too

nice rig !
Thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah Corbin, you are part of the club. I need some more pics of your 4Runner too
I haven't done anything to my 4R yet (except window tints). I'm waiting to do suspension, the tires and wheels. Then I'll go to work on the awful stereo system. Until I can get the suspension lift I probably won't be doing any trails, I've learned my lesson.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts