Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
5 tornadoes on the ground at one time in central OK last night. We got lucky, one storm went above us and one below us.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seems like the wind we get here in NM ends up as tornados in tornado alley. We were steady blowing at 45 mph yesterday, calm today and 5 days more of high winds after that. Maybe something to keep an eye on. Hope you and yours all make it safe until it calms down. God Speed.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Irving got heavy rain, high winds and a bunch of hail.

this was pretty consistently sized for a good 5 mins.
Oh snap!
Is that a single piece of hail, or did you wad up bunch in your hand to make that item?

I know I've seen even larger hail before, but if it were falling that large for 5 minutes straight, there'd have to be a lot of extreme damage.

We had quarter sized hail in MN one year and it broke our living room windows while we were at work during the afternoon, and there was still ice on the floor when we got home. Our car also got quite a bit of damage and we ended up getting a pay-out from insurance. If it had been as big as that thing in your hand, I think things inside the house would have been destroyed and the car would have been totaled.

Good luck to all down there. I hope you are all safe.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
thats a single piece. We were getting softball sized hail all over the metroplex
Softball?
I've heard of fish tales, and I think this is a bit of an exaggeration in the hail category. I've played softball, and if there was softball sized hail falling "all over the metroplex", I would have heard of it, because my folks live in Frisco, and my brother lives in Coppell.

I had a half hour conversation with my brother today, and he didn't mention such an event at all.....and that (softball sized hail) is definitely something he would mention.

Now, if you mean that, in some places, there was a piece (or a number of pieces) of hail as big as a softball (in one dimension or another), I could accept it, but if it were falling like that, consistently, all over the place, for an extended period, the DFW area would be declared a new disaster area for sure (or was it, and I just missed it?).

I mean, even quarter sized hail can destroy the roof on a house if given a good chance. Softball though?....that would almost certainly take out the upper story (OK...maybe not when you guys have so many brick houses, but still). Also, every car parked outside during such a storm would be totaled....not just in need of repair for hail damage (softballs).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, got a new MB C350 a month ago... turned it in to get fixed today... $4500 of damage. windshield had a shatter the size of your fist... other cars were worse, one the hail stones made holes completely thru the sheet metal

Edit: the FJ... Has a small ding in the roof... LOL...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Softball?
I've heard of fish tales, and I think this is a bit of an exaggeration in the hail category. I've played softball, and if there was softball sized hail falling "all over the metroplex", I would have heard of it, because my folks live in Frisco, and my brother lives in Coppell.

I had a half hour conversation with my brother today, and he didn't mention such an event at all.....and that (softball sized hail) is definitely something he would mention.

Now, if you mean that, in some places, there was a piece (or a number of pieces) of hail as big as a softball (in one dimension or another), I could accept it, but if it were falling like that, consistently, all over the place, for an extended period, the DFW area would be declared a new disaster area for sure (or was it, and I just missed it?).

I mean, even quarter sized hail can destroy the roof on a house if given a good chance. Softball though?....that would almost certainly take out the upper story (OK...maybe not when you guys have so many brick houses, but still). Also, every car parked outside during such a storm would be totaled....not just in need of repair for hail damage (softballs).

I'm in the Dallas Ft Worth area this week and there was softball sized hail here and there, but most of it was about the size of a golfball.

I saw a picture on the news of bunch of vehicles and home damaged by the softball stuff and it was utter devastation. Saw a suburban that looked like it got hit by a predator drone.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Irving got heavy rain, high winds and a bunch of hail.

this was pretty consistently sized for a good 5 mins.
Damn... I moved to D/FW back in January '00 and I remember thinking 'Wow, look at all these really nice car dealerships with their canopies over all their vehicles on the lot...' Of course I learned rather quickly that a 'chance' of hail meant it was certain to happen somewhere close by. I moved back south in mid-'05, but when I look at the roof of my GTI I still call it my Golf ball.

My heart goes out to those in peril's path during these storms. :mecry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well my 2 month old FJ didn't survive the storm. It looks like a big silver golf ball. I noticed a few, but when I took it to a paintless dent repair shop and they put their voodoo light on it, my stomach got very upset. They said looks like around 5000$ of repair work. No glass damage, just dents.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Well my 2 month old FJ didn't survive the storm. It looks like a big silver golf ball. I noticed a few, but when I took it to a paintless dent repair shop and they put their voodoo light on it, my stomach got very upset. They said looks like around 5000$ of repair work. No glass damage, just dents.:mecry:
Ouch. I just learned to live with mine. Fortunately the dents got less obvious as the black paint started to fade.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I'm in the Dallas Ft Worth area this week and there was softball sized hail here and there, but most of it was about the size of a golfball.

I saw a picture on the news of bunch of vehicles and home damaged by the softball stuff and it was utter devastation. Saw a suburban that looked like it got hit by a predator drone.
That sounds about right.
What a bummer for those that got the big stuff.
I mean, even te slightest dent in my pretty Sandi would be strangely irritating (as in, no one else would probably understand why it bothers me so much), but $5000 damage like beddow976 said....I suspect my heart would like to snap in two.

...My heart goes out to those in peril's path during these storms. :mecry:
likewise

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just got back after being out of town. I made sure our FJ was under the carport at home before I left.

I am real glad I sprung for the extra $$ for covered parking near the airport. My Mini escaped damage. There was a lot of destruction on the uncovered spaces at and around DFW.

The storm knocked a big branch out of one of our trees and my wife's car has a few dings. I needed to trim that tree and her car already had a few dings, so no big deal.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
After the storm came through, I woke up to several downed trees and lots of debris I'm the fields. Neighbors said a small tornado came through. They lost trees, sheds, and shingles as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts