Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little back story on why I had an alignment done,
Just installed new Camburg UCA with Uni-Ball and some freshly rebuilt SAW 2.5” coil overs with 650lbs eibach springs... removed some Bilstein 5100 with a revtek spacer and stock coils,, As you can guess they truck wandered a bit at certain speeds and was a little squirrelly on panic stops. The cruiser feels amazing now, no-wondering at all, a firm but responsive ride. I’m super happy with how it rides/drives. Drives straight as an arrow down the roads and freeways, not twitchy or lazy feelings anywhere..
Now the weird part, as you can see from the alignment specs, the castor is nowhere near within spec? Doesn’t make any sense to me... the Tech says if he tries to get more Castor out of it the camber goes away!,,,, the FJ only has 132k miles and has never been wrecked, I check the wheel bearings and lower control arm bushing and its all in great shape.. what gives?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
:)

Since you've fitted aftermarket upper control arms, and lifted the vehicle, if you are concerned about the result, it might be wise to start with a call to the maker of those arms for their advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)

Since you've fitted aftermarket upper control arms, and lifted the vehicle, if you are concerned about the result, it might be wise to start with a call to the maker of those arms for their advice.
I contacted Camburg about the alignment and they said they build more caster into the arms and I shouldn’t have any issues with attaining OE spec At Least, they tell me most of the time they can get over 4 degrees out of them... I have a few buddies with the same arms and they all have gotten they’re alignments spot on, I think I’m gonna go to a different alignment shop and get a second opinion !!!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
"I’m gonna go to a different alignment shop and get a second opinion" - good idea.

By the way, are your lower control arms original?

Although you live in California, who's very mild climate might have left your LCA eccentric adjustment bolts in pristine condition, those of us in the rusty parts of America have found ours seized after only 80k miles. Remedy is to cut the old bolts off and then either salvage the old arms (maybe), or install brand new ones (which happen to come with a new ball joint, small compensation), in order to be able to properly align the front end.

I'm not sure even if frozen adjusters down there could cause your situation, just thinking out loud about a known issue in the area which might possibly be why your result is different from the other folks. Maybe ask the new alignment shop to check that out for you.

Best yet: ask them to disassemble those bolts and lather them with anti-seize for the future.

Norm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Man, I’m gonna replace the lower arm bushings with energy suspension bushings, I hade the cams out when I put in the uppers just to make sure they were in good shape and looked as best as I could at the bushings and they seemed fine, I’m not worried about putting in the new lower bushings cause it’s gotta be done eventually...
I just can’t get my head around how good the cruiser drives now with the caster being this far out.. I mean it really tracks straight and has zero wander on side streets or the terrible freeways we have out here..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts