Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this problem? When I reach around 60 miles an hour I hear this strange noise that sounds like a cricket chirping except that it's constant (listen to it carefully in the video attached). It seems like it only happens when it's a nice day and moderate temperatures. Also it only happens when I get up around 60 miles an hour. Those are the ONLY two things I can associate with it. It's not the radio, It's not the steering, it's not the glove box. It's deep inside the dashboard and sometimes it sounds like it moves around...sometimes behind the speedometer, sometimes behind the radio, sometimes behind the glove box. It's driving me CRAZY but I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for the dealership to take it apart and still not figure it out. Anybody else have this issue? THanks!! (can't figure out how to post the video...so please hang tight)

·
Admin
6,901 Posts
Does it change tone if you change your fan speed?
Leaves, etc can get in the fan. It's behind the glove box.

Have you changed your windshield lately?
There's a piece of trim for the windshield at the roof that can make funny noises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same problem...not my blower mower. And no new windshield...
Thanks for the replay...so I'm not crazy, I read somewhere that it could be some sort of vents from the engine area or something but I've never read anything else about it..... Still trying to post a video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It says my video is too long to upload....but trust me, it sound just like a "long winded cricket".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it change tone if you change your fan speed?
Leaves, etc can get in the fan. It's behind the glove box.

Have you changed your windshield lately?
There's a piece of trim for the windshield at the roof that can make funny noises.
No, it has no relation to anything like that.... just has a mind of it's own.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,040 Posts
The 60 mph noise is usually the missing windshield reveal molding lower edge weather stripping that Winterpeg mentioned. It was horrible on mine, especially with a crosswind. Sometimes they just fall off, it doesn't have to be a new windshield.

FJC windshield header panel.jpeg

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
May be the HVAC blower motor's well-worn brushes are squeaking against the commutator, or there is a piece of debris that got past the cabin air filter and is contacting the HVAC blower's impeller. Next time it's chirping at a steady rate, press the FRESH/RECIRCULATE button to change the cabin air source, and see if there is any change in the chirping.

If that doesn't elicit any change, turn the HVAC blower motor on to speed 2 or 3, and see if that triggers any change in the sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May be the HVAC blower motor's well-worn brushes are squeaking against the commutator, or there is a piece of debris that got past the cabin air filter and is contacting the HVAC blower's impeller. Next time it's chirping at a steady rate, press the FRESH/RECIRCULATE button to change the cabin air source, and see if there is any change in the chirping.

If that doesn't elicit any change, turn the HVAC blower motor on to speed 2 or 3, and see if that triggers any change in the sound.
Nope.... did all that a year or so ago... there's no change. The windshield thing sound promising because it only happens in certain weather and possibly wind conditions. I wish I could get this video to upload.

·
Admin
6,901 Posts
An easy way to check would be to run a strip of tape along the molding.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the chirping noise in my dash. Tried many different solutions, but not much helped. It just went away on its own.
I did find some evidence that a mouse had been in on top of my cabin filter. I changed it out.
One thing that makes no sense, but seemed to make a difference, you may want to try. With the fan off, I would hear the chirping with the air controller set to come out the dash. When I switched it to floor, it went away. Makes no sense, but made the chirping stop. This is with the fan set to off.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased a FJ.....I have driven vintage VWs for the past 15 yrs daily.....sometimes a chirping noise would come from the dash....it was the speedometer cable....it would wear out and the fix was replacing it! Not sure if this would apply to a FJ speedo?

·
Registered
117 Posts
This sounds like the same issue I have on my 2007 FJ Cruiser (BTW it's for sale). Only occurs when you are driving.

Was driving me insane. Seriously. I discovered the source but have not had time to actually fix it. The issue is the inside door grab bar. As you drive, it starts to rattle which causes the squeaking. When driving, and the sound starts, push your knee hard against the bar and the sound should stop. Let me know if that works.

I need to pull the panel off and see what the heck is going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speedometer cables would make a noise like that in the olden days. I don't know if the FJ even has a speedometer cable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts