Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys. I met strange problem while refreshing my Engine.

I have 2 FJ cruiser, One of them have an accident and useless for me, but the engine is OK. So to make my story short and clear, I will refers to my engine as (Engine 1) and (Engine 2), and they all indeed 1GR-EF with oil filter in the upper right side of the engine, Stock Engine..

My problem is : while disassembling my engine and bought a replacement parts for it, such as:

full sealing set with upper and lower gaskets
Main Bearing Set - size 3
Engine Rod Bearing Set - size 3
Engine Piston Ring Set - Standard
Engine Timing Kit.

I starting to assembling the engine and everything fits great except this two parts:

1- The Main Bearing (It came with two cups size) 1-4 and 2-3
2- Rod Bearing

it does not fits like the Original Size, the issue with the width only.

The new bearing I bought are smaller size between 3mm to 2mm.

I opened [engine 2] to see if the bearing are the same, and I found that it has the smaller one. like what I bought. not like the engine 1 which has wider bearing for both The Main Bearing and Rod Bearing.

Note:
Both engine for sure Stock.
From the repair manual catalog the main bearing width are 22.4 (for cup 1 and 4) and 19mm (for cup 2 and 3) (it has 2 size..

• Main bearing differences:

• Connecting Rod Bearing:

# I search everywhere dealer , online et cetera. and couldn't find it. there all said the old part number are replace with another part number witch is the bearing I have (the smaller size) .. I even search by my VIN.. there is no existence for the wider bearing anymore.. It is really a very strange problem....

I also, thought wider bearing means better, why Toyota did that ?

smaller width better ? or I couldn't find the part with my good experience ?

What you think guys? any explanation?

#

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Your pictures aren't showing up. Could be a difference in design due to the parts supply change. Wider isn't better if the narrower is more efficient. Maybe @norm356 could answer being an insider in the industry.

Did you order Toyota or aftermarket? Might want reach or an aftermarket supplier to see if they have appropriate sized bearings because the 1GR-FE was a powerplant for several different toyotas: 4runner, prado, etc

Just an idea. Also check your block vin matches dash vin. Sometimes people swap engines across models and the history is lost on the next buyer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your pictures aren't showing up. Could be a difference in design due to the parts supply change. Wider isn't better if the narrower is more efficient. Maybe @norm356 could answer being an insider in the industry.

Did you order Toyota or aftermarket? Might want reach or an aftermarket supplier to see if they have appropriate sized bearings because the 1GR-FE was a powerplant for several different toyotas: 4runner, prado, etc

Just an idea. Also check your block vin matches dash vin. Sometimes people swap engines across models and the history is lost on the next buyer.
Thanks jamesepoop
(I fixed the pictures, Sorry)

I buy OEM only , I search by Models, VIN number, engine type, etc.. they all the same and part numbers the same too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those original connecting rod bearings seem undersized. Toyota probably changed them at some point. Maybe those new ones are from the late dual vvti engine?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those original connecting rod bearings seem undersized. Toyota probably changed them at some point. Maybe those new ones are from the late dual vvti engine?
Nope they fits all models..

the bearings thickness has 4 numbers.
from 1 to 4 and because there is no wearing and my engine in good shape , I chose to replace it with same number, which is no.3 .

The problem with the widths of the bearings.

I think Toyota replace it all with smaller one because it’s better,
Smaller one will let the oil pass better ,, That is my guess..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts