Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During some mild off-road action in Death Valley recently I suddenly heard a strange tinny scraping sound from under the FJ. Annoying, it would come and go, but we finally tracked it down to a loose heat shield above the muffler. Seems like Momma Toyota didn't use large enough washers under the nuts, and the plate broke loose from its four mounts points by breaking away the aluminum.

The fix? Four fender washers, 1/4" center hole and at least 1" OD, but 1-1/4" would be better. You can get by with four, but better to use eight making a heat shield sandwich at each of the four mounting locations. Nut is a 10mm, and you'll need a short extension and a cool muffler. As far as I can tell, the shield can't be replaced without removing the muffler, so a fix in place makes good sense here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Awesome......I has been chasing that sound. Will take a look, thought it would be exhaust. Seemed to do it most when cold

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome......I has been chasing that sound. Will take a look, thought it would be exhaust. Seemed to do it most when cold
For awhile, mine only made the noise at highway speed during sweeping right turns. :)

It all depends how the plate gets wedged in place when it's loose since it's largely trapped in place.

From the looks of it, the broken mount points are partially the result of corrosion, likely accelerated from the muffler heat, but I think the fender washers will solve the issue.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Holy Crap......

That has to be some sort of a record!

Glad you found the noise and showed it whose boss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts