Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread.

But, I'm about to buy some spacers. Are the ET style nuts required for all of the front spacers?
For some strange reason, the front wheel studs are shorter than the rear (at least on my '07) I have the ET style from All Pro on all 4 wheel spacers + I use ET style lugs for all wheels. Can never be too safe.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The substance is the "permanent" loctite to use on the studs during install -see instructions. It should drive slightly different due to the new track width, but you shouldn't really notice much of a change. If you have new steering vibrations, I would check everything and make sure the spacers and lugs are all on their tight and correct. Torque spec is something like 80 lb-ft (states in the instructions I believe).
I read the spec of the gun and it says max of 400lb-ft

·
Registered
501 Posts
I read the spec of the gun and it says max of 400lb-ft
The gun might be capable of 400 lbs but this does not mean the technician used enough torque. You should make sure he didn't use too much torque as well. If you ever get a flat tire and can't get the wheel off, you will be mad.

Imagine it's late at night and it's raining cats and dogs. You try to loosen the lugs on your flat tire but they're too tight, which, causes the wrench to slip and you bust your knuckles. You get real angry and start turning all green and junk and your muscles begins to swell up, ripping your clothes to shreads. You then flip your FJ over while you cuss the technician and run off into the woods. Hours later you wake up in the middle of nowhere, half naked and wondering what happened.
So, unless you wanna trot thru the woods in you're tightie whities, make sure your lugs are properly torqued

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The gun might be capable of 400 lbs but this does not mean the technician used enough torque. You should make sure he didn't use too much torque as well. If you ever get a flat tire and can't get the wheel off, you will be mad.

Imagine it's late at night and it's raining cats and dogs. You try to loosen the lugs on your flat tire but they're too tight, which, causes the wrench to slip and you bust your knuckles. You get real angry and start turning all green and junk and your muscles begins to swell up, ripping your clothes to shreads. You then flip your FJ over while you cuss the technician and run off into the woods. Hours later you wake up in the middle of nowhere, half naked and wondering what happened.
So, unless you wanna trot thru the woods in you're tightie whities, make sure your lugs are properly torqued

YouTube - The Incredible Hulk Opening Theme
you were right I just had my tiers balanced also had my wheel spacers reinstalled for a long reason... idont wanna bother saying
anyhow the guy had a tuff time getting couple of lugs off with the gun :rofl::rofl:
all should be warned from this problom

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Any tech worth their pay always uses a Torque wrench when a spec is given. No offence to any quality tire shop guys on here but most of the people you will run into at a tire shop are minimum wage tire swappers and rim scratchers. Not the type of guys I would have doing critical work on the running gear of my FJ. As I said there are some good guys out there (about 10%) but if you saw them running your spacers in with an impact gun and no torque wrench you didn’t have one of them working on your FJ.
Im the guy that goes to a tire shop gets tires installed, pays, goes to the parking lot getout my own Torque wrench and checks the torque before leaving.. I have been a mechanic for many many years.. OCD doesnt describe me when it comes to maintenance....Many shop have become Lax and rely on their impact settings to insure its on tight and right...ALways request wheels be hand Torqued!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts