Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hoping you can help. About 2 weeks ago climbing a hill the motor started making a strange tick at 2000 rpm . Completely goes away under 2000 rpm. It went away for a bit and is now back every time I accelerate hard or have the truck under load, but only between 2200 and 3000 rpm, it doesn't increase in speed as the rpm goes up, and does not make the sound while in park or neutral just holding the rpm up. It is only under load.

The dealer says it is normal. My mechanic and I can't figure it out.

Anyone have any ideas??

It is a 2007 with 130,000 miles. 4x4 w/ automatic

All and any help is appreciated.

Have a great day!!

Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas...?

It's driving me crazy

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Exhaust manifold or head pipe leak? They can make a tick sound and be most noticeable in certain RPM ranges at times!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, but would it only be under load?? In park or neutral in the driveway it doesn't make the sound

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Does this problem occur in 4x2, 4x4 H, and 4x4 L, or is it limited to 4x4 positions?

Have you checked the electrical connection that engages the front differential? The 4x4 light on the dash is only a clue, but a flickering would be some confirmation. However, the engagement problem may exist, even if the dashboard light is constant. If the tick occurs when in 4x2, then I would not suspect the front differential.

A remote possibility would be to check the breathers on the differentials. I think this to be an unlikely culprit, but breathers should be inspected one a year or so.

I trying to think of a ticking sound whose frequency isn't tied to engine rpm.

Maybe if you could get someone to observe you driving up the hill while the engine is loaded and listen to help identify the source of the tick. Sitting in the driver's seat isn't always the best place to listen for a problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Law Dog! It is in 2wd where I notice it, and I had my mechanic take it for a drive with me and he hears it , and says he doesn't know what it is either, he is thinking a shield vibration, but cand find any that are loose.

I hear it coming from front right while sitting in the drivers seat, and my mechanic hears it front left while sitting in the passenger seat.

I did have Keith at bamf put on a new exhaust prior to this happening, but it was cat back. I did notice he didn't use any of the spring bolts just regular bolts and double nuts. I hadn't thought of that until I was typing this, but maybe??? I don't know, that could be the cause?? Exhaust leak there??? But that is center and I am hearing the noise from the front.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Your new exhaust sounds like you discovered the first thing to check out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Law Dog, agreed.

I didn't even think of that until I was typing the response. I am going to check that in the morning.

Everyone said Keith at bamf knows his stuff so I didn't think about it, but if it is exhaust related, that could be it.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
If you are close to Keith, I'd have him go for a ride with you. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey joabmc,

No unfortunately Keith is about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

But hoping to go see him soon

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had noise I couldnt in my locate driving me crazy in my FJ, It turned out to be my exhaust donut right at my trd cat back, After replacing the springs and donut its all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts