Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post as a member and have gleaned a lot here-great site!

My question is, I've heard differing accounts as to whether you should shift into 4WD every so often to keep everything "lubed" and running smooth-this is assuming you don't get off road regularly.

I'd love to do more but, realistically, I get out there once every 3 months. Should I be doing some street driving in 4H every so many miles or is that myth?

Thanks in advance all.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Do NOT drive your 4x4 Automatic on the street in 4H or 4L. No No No No.

Take it to a dirt road, your neighbors yard, a Major League Baseball field, whatever you have to. This is a part time 4wheel drive system and you will chew up you drive train something fierce on the street.

And, no, wet pavement from rain is NOT good enough.

Welcome to the site!!:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
By the way, is that L.A. as in Los Angeles or Lower Alabama?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Growing up in Maine I owned an old school Bronco that saw a lot of 4wd on the street. Every winter that is. :rocker:

BirdMan

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
"OOH OOH OOH" (In my best Horshak voice)......

I heard a new one.....If you can't possibly find a dirt road or somewhere to pull the stick back in you can always drive down the road with the driverside wheels on pavement and the passenger side wheels off the pavement on the dirt shoulder.......lol....Oh yeah and if you do that prepare to be pointed at....lol....But it would work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Interesting. The manual (as I recall), doesn't really imply that you should take it off road to do the "lube drive". Certainly they don't want you to lock the rear differential on pavement. I've just been periodically putting it in 4 hi for a mile or so then back to 2 hi. Maybe once a week when I haven't been wheeling for a while. Usually on straight roads, always under 50 mph. Doesn't the variable, unlocked differential drive thingy (front & back) take care of uneven resistance left & right? ...or is it more that you have both a back & front wheel driving and aren't compensating for the front-to-back resistance variations between the front drive wheel and the back drive wheel? I really have no idea, but seems like I would have read a big bold CAUTION in the owners manual if this was really that bad.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Only if you see Detonation of your transfer case as a bad thing!!!!

It is called "binding" and it's really that bad. Might take 100miles and might take 100 feet.... If you don't believe us put it in 4hi on something grippy like hard pack dirt and turn the wheel......When you feel that unfamiliar tug that is binding.

Try using the search function....type in "binding" and see what ya get because there are some good technical threads on the subject.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have placed it in 4wd low a few times for a couple of feet on the street in a straight line... not to lube the drivetrain... but to engage 4wheel low so that when it's parked... it's much harder to tow.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The best thing to do is try to find a close "off road" place around your area and give it a little 4 wheel drive time. I will go about a month and a half without putting it in 4 wheel drive and it seems to work fine for me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Has the repo man been visiting???:jester:
I just remember some people doing that in college so their trucks with no permits would be left alone by school security because the wheels where too big to boot, a regular tow truck couldn't drag them, and they where too big for dollies to be placed under the front wheels & too big for flat beds.

I sometimes do it because I illegally park in front of my townhome's garage sometimes... speaking of which... check out this thread (sorry but way off topic)

MWerks Forums: So my Audi got booted, and this is what I'm going to do about it....discuss

Basically the guy forgot to put up his permit so his Audi got booted, so instead of paying the private company to remove the boots... he put the car on dollies... moved the car into his garage... now that the car was on his private property... he then turned it around and gave the tow company permission to take the boots (without paying the fine) if they want them back... even got backed up by the Police on this case... it's so funny!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I couldn't get back to the site til now but thanks to all for all the helpful replies. It didn't sound right to me but someone mentioned it to me as well so I thought I'd come to the brain trust here and get it right. I'll just have to get dirty more often-Big Bear next week.

It is So Cal not Bama-and I don't mind a little ribbing for a newbie question.

And I'm not sure on getting this in the signature but it's a '08 TTSE. No mods yet but tooling around on this site I can't see that it will be long.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting. The manual (as I recall), doesn't really imply that you should take it off road to do the "lube drive". Certainly they don't want you to lock the rear differential on pavement. I've just been periodically putting it in 4 hi for a mile or so then back to 2 hi. Maybe once a week when I haven't been wheeling for a while. Usually on straight roads, always under 50 mph. Doesn't the variable, unlocked differential drive thingy (front & back) take care of uneven resistance left & right? ...or is it more that you have both a back & front wheel driving and aren't compensating for the front-to-back resistance variations between the front drive wheel and the back drive wheel? I really have no idea, but seems like I would have read a big bold CAUTION in the owners manual if this was really that bad.
This is what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.