Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the rear end if my 2010 FJ has been rattlin.
I remove the passenger side after market panhard rod after removing the 1/2 inch bolt and nut.
Testing the bolt, it has jiggle room in the frame mount holes and also in the jonny joint.

I don't care about to the rod cuz I'm getting a better one.

But is the bracket on the frame messed up because the holes are too big for the bolt??? If so, you what is your recommended solution??
Seems like not a good situation because as I offroad, the holes will get hammered more and more by a bolt that is loose in the holes and it will get bad bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an idea but how about welding thicker metal on the outsides of the bracket then drilling the proper size holes. You might need a longer bolt once completed.
That's also what I was thinking. I'd get the thickest and hardest that I can find. New super hard bolt and flange but too. So I got to find a good welder who also can get that kind of plate metal. Maybe a guy that works on tractor equipment =D

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
RuffStuff Specialties Fix It Weld Washers Bolt Hole Repair Kit (Set of 6 Washers) (1/2") Amazon.com: RuffStuff Specialties Fix It Weld Washers Bolt Hole Repair Kit (Set of 6 Washers) (1/2"): Home Improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those specific RuffStuff washers won't work for the Panhard rod brackets because they are intended for use on 1/4" thick plate. RuffStuff does offer 'standard' weld washers in multiple sizes without the 'bushing' feature that should work fine for this repair. Another option is to use weld-on 'teardrop' reinforcing plates that are available from many different fabrication supply houses.

To ensure absolutely correct alignment, have the welder position the reinforcing washers with a longer bolt while the Panhard rod is installed, tack-weld the washers in place, then remove the rod for the final welding.

There is no need the "thickest and hardest" metal you can find; the bracket itself will always be the weak link. The reason the original holes got elongated was because the Panhard rod bolt was not properly torqued and regularly checked for tightness.

Weld washers without 1/4" long bushing feature:
Weld washers.JPG

Teardrop weld washer:
Tear-drop weld washer.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for your help and knowledge Sparky.
I was unaware of the teardrops and is my top choice for the repair. While drifting off to sleep last night I thought of the same method for aligning them.
Also I think that I installed the rod wrongly originally. The end with the heim joint probably should have gone to the axle side and the end with the bushing to the frame ( passenger) side. And keeping the tork.

Shoot, or I may have the washers welded on. And I did find them from ruffstuff without the bushing feature.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those specific RuffStuff washers won't work for the Panhard rod brackets because they are intended for use on 1/4" thick plate. RuffStuff does offer 'standard' weld washers in multiple sizes without the 'bushing' feature that should work fine for this repair. Another option is to use weld-on 'teardrop' reinforcing plates that are available from many different fabrication supply houses.

To ensure absolutely correct alignment, have the welder position the reinforcing washers with a longer bolt while the Panhard rod is installed, tack-weld the washers in place, then remove the rod for the final welding.

There is no need the "thickest and hardest" metal you can find; the bracket itself will always be the weak link. The reason the original holes got elongated was because the Panhard rod bolt was not properly torqued and regularly checked for tightness.

View attachment 1135243

Teardrop weld washer:
View attachment 1135244
These chrome alloy USA made look good: Flat Weld Washer 1/2 Bolt Hole For Reinforcing A Steel Plate Or Repairing An Ovaled Bolt Hole

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Come on guys. Welding those flat ones will be a pain to weld at that location. Weld the 1/4” to a 3/16 plate flush on the inside. Bolt everything together and tack. Weld the plate in with out worries of damage to insert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

View attachment 1135243

Teardrop weld washer:
View attachment 1135244
I meant to reply to you instead of sparky. Thank you for the excellent advice and knowledge. I appreciate that you were here to help me out . - Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts