Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to cut the 19mm nut off the ball joint area of the UCA because of how over torqued it was. Does anyone know the inner diameter size so I can get a new one?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I wasn't able to find a castle nut that big at Ace, Lowes, or Fastenal. The dealership also had to order it which took a couple of days. Hopefully your dealership is larger than mine and it will work out. In a pinch you would probably get away with a quality nut that isn't a castle but expect to get a ride with someone to do it correctly.

If you cut the end off take that piece with you to see if others fit, make sure the threads are the correct size as this is a very important part (holds it all together).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't able to find a castle nut that big at Ace, Lowes, or Fastenal. The dealership also had to order it which took a couple of days. Hopefully your dealership is larger than mine and it will work out. In a pinch you would probably get away with a quality nut that isn't a castle but expect to get a ride with someone to do it correctly.

If you cut the end off take that piece with you to see if others fit, make sure the threads are the correct size as this is a very important part (holds it all together).
Will do thanks.

I didn't so much cut the end off as I did drill it off, hammer it off, and then air grind it off because I had no cutting tools. I'd have to sweep up the metal dust and put it in a plastic baggy in order to take it with me hahah.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm worried that little tiny arm that looks like it connects to the sway bar might had broke. Trying to tighten the nut on it simply turns the stud inside the arm.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

That piece there, I don't see anywhere to keep it from spinning with another tool on the other end.

So instead of using a socket, you're saying you stick an allen wrench into it to hold it, and then use an opened ended wrench? I hope the ball joint removed didn't damage that hole.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

That piece there, I don't see anywhere to keep it from spinning with another tool on the other end.

So instead of using a socket, you're saying you stick an allen wrench into it to hold it, and then use an opened ended wrench? I hope the ball joint removed didn't damage that hole.

Use 6mm Allen wrench to hold the bolt. The size of the nut (with super fine thread) is 12mm x 1.25 mm pitch.

The Toyota P/N is 90179-12144 - Nut with washer.

For temporary fix, go to your local parts shop/store and buy the lug nuts for Nissan cars which are 12mm x 1.25 mm pitch also.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Use 6mm Allen wrench to hold the bolt. The size of the nut (with super fine thread) is 12mm x 1.25 mm pitch.

The Toyota P/N is 90179-12144 - Nut with washer.

For temporary fix, go to your local parts shop/store and buy the lug nuts for Nissan cars which are 12mm x 1.25 mm pitch also.
I ended up using a 14mm x 1.50 pitch nut which threaded on perfectly and left enough room to throw a cotter pin on the bottom as well.

Are you referring to the sway bar link nut or the UCA ball joint nut?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I ended up using a 14mm x 1.50 pitch nut which threaded on perfectly and left enough room to throw a cotter pin on the bottom as well.

Are you referring to the sway bar link nut or the UCA ball joint nut?
Sway bar link nut, as shown with yellow arrow in the picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts