Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to remove the factory torx bolts that attaches the stock roof rack to the roof, I stripped the very last torx bolt head. How frustrating! I've tried the Grabit Pro extractor, and that didn't work. I'm thinking the bolt has too many threads for the Grabit Pro to work as designed.

I'm running out of ideas. I'm thinking of using as easy out, but I've read nightmare posts. I've also thought about buying a dremel rotary tool and carving out an edge so I can use a flathead. Any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I like the dremel idea.

·
Registered
458 Posts
1 you can try to use hex with 6 not 12 granules (I think its right word for it)
2 drill a little hole (depence on size of bolt) put smaller bolt in or self taping screw (with opposite tight threat)
3 before do that spray some wd-40
4 then try flat head screwdriver ....
5 try to heat up bolt sometime diff temp help to remove it
6 try to come from inside or between rack and roof to cut a bolt on part to remove

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I'd try the Dremel first, then drill it and use a quality easy-out if that didn't work. The trick to making an easy-out work is to be very careful to drill the hole centered in the bolt, then drill it out in steps until the remaining metal between the hole and the outside threads is fairly thin before hammering in the appropriate-sized easy-out. If you use too small of a hole and easy-out, or use a cheap Chinese easy-out, it will break.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Agree with 1911 on the dremel first, personally rather than flat head (hate em)
I do a cross and use an impact driver with Phillip head.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I had a similar problem taking off the factory grill guard. I used a dremel and a Large Flad head screw driver with vice grips to turn it and it broke the bolt:( Sound idea as it has worked before. I was so pissed and frustrated I cut the head off the bolt and threw it as far as I could.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
whatever you decide to do, I'd put the other torx bolt back in on that particular location before you go to hammering or whatever else you might try. I've read a few posts where the welds have broken on those tabs. If that happens you'll have to drop the headliner to fix it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the exact same thing happened to me yesterday! what a pain. unfortunately the dremel trick did not work for me, this is what I did:
1. drill out head of bolt till head falls off
2. remove trim around headliner in the area to get it to come down just enough to get your hand in
3. pull out bolt and backing plate
4. heat bolt to get it out while holding on with vice grips

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I don't blame you. Pulling the headliner is a pain in the butt. I know, I had to do it twice! :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mission accomplished. For those who have stripped out their Torx bolts here are a few pointers to get you out of a jam.

1) Don't use a ratchet style screw driver with interchangeable tips. Buy a torx specific tool with handle.

2) Soak the bolt with penetrating oil

3) Use a rotary tool and make a slot for a flathead.

Don't bother with a screw extractor. I preferred not to go the easy-out route.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
OOOOPS, missed your last post, that stated you got, good job..........Post a pic, Ive ran into this problem many times over the years and have retrieved many bolts without tools made to do such a thing. I need to see it and then will have some ideas.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Man, glad it came out for you. You saved yourself a lot of work and cussing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts