Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been searching for FJs for a couple of months now in Pennsylvania and finally found one that has almost no rust on it. It's got the off-road package with a couple of extra goodies like a full size Baja roof rack and some nice looking wheels and tires (albeit I think the wheels are a little too wide for my taste):

I took it on a test drive and did an in depth inspection and it all seems great, aside from what sounds like bad fuel injectors while accelerating. It spent most of its life in North Carolina and it looks like the previous owner (who brought it up here to PA) kept up with the fluid film. So in other words, I can't find any bad rust anywhere aside from some very light surface rust on the front lower control arms and the front crossmember. Oil changes seem to be kept up with, but I don't see any fluids checked records on the CarFax aside from when this dealer got ahold of it.

My dilemma here is the price: it's $31k with 120k miles and the dealer won't budge. And I currently lease a 2018 Taco SR5, with a buyout amount of $26.6k (which is a pretty good price from what I can tell). I am having trouble deciding if getting the FJ would be worth it since my monthly payment will be nearly the same as if I keep the Taco (though the insurance on the FJ is about $40 cheaper a month). Coupled with the likely higher maintenance cost on the FJ in the next ten years, my brain is telling me to keep the Taco but the FJ is in very nice shape and I have doubts I'll see another one this clean in PA.

Does anyone have any thoughts or two cents they could throw my way?

·
Registered
295 Posts
The market is crazy high on FJ’s at the moment.

I guess my $0.02 would be that, unless you have some strong need or desire to get an FJ, you’re probably in a much better place with the Taco from a financial and potential servicing cost. (My assumption is that since you are leasing the Taco, it has less than 120k miles).

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,129 Posts
Since you're asking FJ Cruiser enthusiasts if you should buy one, I guessing you really want to hear "Buy the FJ!" 😄

On a more practical level, as @SkidMarks71 says for less money you know exactly how the Taco was treated.
If you want an FJ, I think (of course) you should get one. However, I also think you buy one because you want one.
I don't know the practical/financial argument for getting an FJ works well in the current market.

If you decide to use your discretionary funds and get an FJ, then the next question is this a good FJ.
But, that's a different question.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you're asking FJ Cruiser enthusiasts if you should buy one, I guessing you really want to hear "Buy the FJ!" 😄

On a more practical level, as @SkidMarks71 says for less money you know exactly how the Taco was treated.
If you want an FJ, I think (of course) you should get one. However, I also think you buy one because you want one.
I don't know the practical/financial argument for getting an FJ works well in the current market.

If you decide to use your discretionary funds and get an FJ, then the next question is this a good FJ.
But, that's a different question.

Good luck with your decision.
I'd love for that to be the general feedback haha. I do really want to get one, but at the same time my brain is screaming that it's nuts to buy something 4 years older with 100k more miles for $5k more. And I also wonder how the value would depreciate if/when the current FJ craze ends.

The market is crazy high on FJ’s at the moment.

I guess my $0.02 would be that, unless you have some strong need or desire to get an FJ, you’re probably in a much better place with the Taco from a financial and potential servicing cost. (My assumption is that since you are leasing the Taco, it has less than 120k miles).
The desire is definitely strong, but I do have a hard time seeing how the FJ wouldn't cost me a good amount more over the next ten years (from ball joints, wheel bearings, water pump, etc). Plus as I said above, I don't know how much the value of the FJ will depreciate since the price on the 13s and 14s in particular seem to be really inflated. Whereas the Taco will be predicable in how quickly it will depreciate.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts or two cents they could throw my way?
You don't say what you plan on doing with the truck. Offroading? Overlanding? Daily driving?

The FJ you're looking at is overpriced. Get on AutoTrader, do a national search for 4x4 FJ's 2010+ under 100K miles and sort by mileage lowest.

I'd only buy an FJ -- any FJ, including the one you found -- if you absolutely positively had to have an FJ. Then you find the best deal on an FJ. If you're looking to overland / daily drive, I can show you any number of 2016+ Lexus GX's (i.e. a V8 luxury 4Runner) with 1/3rd the mileage for a little more than the truck you're looking at.

I wrote the guide on buying/selling FJ's and it's hard for me to recommend that anyone buy an FJ right now. First, because they're stupid expensive compared to trucks that are nearly as capable offroad but overall much better vehicles. And second, if Toyota comes out with a new Land Cruiser meant to go directly against the Bronco / Wrangler -- basically a newer/better version of the FJ Cruiser -- that's going to kill FJ resale just like the MkIV Supra killed the MkIII Supra.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts
I have both:
'07 FJ
'18 Taco

Although the Fj is 12 yrs older than the Taco, it drives better, runs better has had less issues.
If you dont need the box of functionality of the box....IMO ditch the Taco.

·
Premium Member
13,483 Posts
You don't say what you plan on doing with the truck. Offroading? Overlanding? Daily driving?

The FJ you're looking at is overpriced. Get on AutoTrader, do a national search for 4x4 FJ's 2010+ under 100K miles and sort by mileage lowest.

I'd only buy an FJ -- any FJ, including the one you found -- if you absolutely positively had to have an FJ. Then you find the best deal on an FJ. If you're looking to overland / daily drive, I can show you any number of 2016+ Lexus GX's (i.e. a V8 luxury 4Runner) with 1/3rd the mileage for a little more than the truck you're looking at.

I wrote the guide on buying/selling FJ's and it's hard for me to recommend that anyone buy an FJ right now. First, because they're stupid expensive compared to trucks that are nearly as capable offroad but overall much better vehicles. And second, if Toyota comes out with a new Land Cruiser meant to go directly against the Bronco / Wrangler -- basically a newer/better version of the FJ Cruiser -- that's going to kill FJ resale just like the MkIV Supra killed the MkIII Supra.
The new 300 for 2022 is destined for Global markets and the chances of it geacing th NA market are very slim.
The FJ will always remain a unique and desirable vehicle regardless of what the market brings.

With everthing that is happening within the market ( new models, market prices etc) have you updated your guide?

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
The new 300 for 2022 is destined for Global markets and the chances of it geacing th NA market are very slim.
The FJ will always remain a unique and desirable vehicle regardless of what the market brings.

With everthing that is happening within the market ( new models, market prices etc) have you updated your guide?
Alternately, Toyota sees the price of FJ's on the resale market and the hype around the Bronco and want a 2-ish door option for this market in addition to the 4Runner. Another LC that is the basis for the Lexus LX won't happen in the US market, there's no reason for them to chase the ~2500 sales/year that the 200 had. What I'm talking about is an LC that is a better version of the FJ, in the $50-60K range, using whatever powerplant they decide on for the 6th gen 4Runner (likely 3.5L hybrid). And if we're lucky, it'll have removable doors and removable roof panels, but that would require Toyota to do something exciting, which they just aren't doing these days. If they do this, see my reference above about MkIII vs MkIV Supra. Does anybody buy an FJ when the new Land Cruiser is a Bronco clone, with removable doors and roof panels? Not for $69K they don't.

I had 3 Toyota engineers in my FJ on our Summit 2019 Stony Pass run asking questions about my 5th gen 4Runner. They're working on the 6th gen right now. If I had a nickel for every time they said "overlanding", I'd be rich. Toyota sees the market here, the question is whether or not the beancounters who run the company (the same ones who let BMW build the new Supra) let them build something for it more interesting than the 4Runner.

Most of what's in the buy/sell guide is still applicable -- the process of buying/selling/valuing -- and if I did add anything it would be that FJ's now are largely overpriced and to seriously consider a lightly used Lexus GX instead. But I just haven't had the heart to put that in there yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies all!

I'll be passing on this FJ, but I think I'm also probably going to lean towards keeping the Taco unless I see a really good deal on an FJ or if one of the other vehicles I'm interested in (1st gen Sequoia, 100 Series Landcruiser / LX470, etc) shows up near me. Perhaps in a few years the crazy prices will come down and the 2013s/2014s will be more reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts