Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I just bought a 2007 FJ and it’s stuck in 4wd. I think the actuator is stuck or broken. I have an appointment next week to get it looked at. Can I drive it A bit stuck in 4 wd? I have heard yes and no sides of that? Any input would be great. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Hi and welcome from Oregon :)

I take it that this is a 5 spd automatic? Is the green 4WD indicator on? I've accidently driven on the pavement when I forgot to shift out of 4WD, not far and it becomes obvious when you turn tight. Not a good thing to do on dry pavement. In an emergency you do what you have to.

I changed the lube in the diffs and put many thousands of miles (60K+) on since then and have had no issues. I don't forget anymore.

It was like that when you bought it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I just bought it. The 4wd was stuck on and the computer needs replacing...all dash lights are on. Computer is on the way and heading to the mechanics on Wed. I noticed the tight turning really seizes it up. I am careful not to make and tight turns and drive minimally. It’s a 6 speed manual. I got it for really cheap! It’s in wonderful shape other than those things.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
I'll have to let the 6 speed guys address this. The 6 speeds are AWD all the time. Not sure about when you lock the center. What are the dash indications?

How do you know the computer is bad? Lights could be about anything. Did you get the codes read? I'd do that first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full time awd? I didn’t know that. When I brought it to my mechanic, he said he knows the FJ from the previous owner. The computer was bad and the O2 sensors as well.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Glad you got it for a good price. How many miles?

Good that you got a mechanic you trust. Mine retired and left the area. I'm still looking.

There are many knowledgeable folks on the Forum. Give them some time to see your post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohhh high miles! Very high.... 400,000 km. The owner drove it from Nova Scotia to Florida often. Looking at it, you would never know. And it runs wonderfully. I have other old Toys with over 500,000 Miles! So I jumped on it for $4,000Cad certified as well!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yes I just bought it. The 4wd was stuck on and the computer needs replacing...all dash lights are on. Computer is on the way and heading to the mechanics on Wed. I noticed the tight turning really seizes it up. I am careful not to make and tight turns and drive minimally. It’s a 6 speed manual. I got it for really cheap! It’s in wonderful shape other than those things.
Sounds like there is some confusion going on. If it has a 6-speed MANUAL transmission, where did you get the idea that it has an "actuator" associated with the 4WD system, and that 4WD mode can be "stuck on"?

The 6-speed MANUAL transmission versions are FULL TIME 4WD, they are ALWAYS in 4WD mode. They do have a lockable center differential, and you do not want to drive on pavement with the center diff locked ('HL'), you will bind up the drivetrain just like you can do by driving an auto trans FJ on high-traction surfaces in 4WD mode. On high-traction surfaces, drive ONLY with the transfer case in the 'H' position.

As for replacing "the computer"(you mean the engine ECM?) because "all the dash lights are on" ... what makes you think that the 'computer' is defective? There are many different fault conditions that can turn on the Check Engine, Traction Control, Stability Control, ABS, or other instrument panel warning lights, and very rarely would this be caused by a "bad" ECM.

You need to do some troubleshooting, see if any OBDII codes are present, etc. before just blindly throwing parts at the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mechanic told me that there was a computer issue. He did a read on it recently...before I bought it. I just found out that it is full time 4wd. The 4wd shifter is in neutral. When I turn, it really hangs up badly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like there is some confusion going on. If it has a 6-speed MANUAL transmission, where did you get the idea that it has an "actuator" associated with the 4WD system, and that 4WD mode can be "stuck on"?

The 6-speed MANUAL transmission versions are FULL TIME 4WD, they are ALWAYS in 4WD mode. They do have a lockable center differential, and you do not want to drive on pavement with the center diff locked ('HL'), you will bind up the drivetrain just like you can do by driving an auto trans FJ on high-traction surfaces in 4WD mode. On high-traction surfaces, drive ONLY with the transfer case in the 'H' position.

As for replacing "the computer"(you mean the engine ECM?) because "all the dash lights are on" ... what makes you think that the 'computer' is defective? There are many different fault conditions that can turn on the Check Engine, Traction Control, Stability Control, ABS, or other instrument panel warning lights, and very rarely would this be caused by a "bad" ECM.

You need to do some troubleshooting, see if any OBDII codes are present, etc. before just blindly throwing parts at the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
If your transfer case shifter is in neutral (N) you will not move.

Are you positive the transfer case lever is pulled all the way back in the H position? Sounds like you have a bit of a mix up with with the position of the lever.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yeah, definitely some confusion here ...

This is what your transfer case shift lever should look like if you have a 6-speed manual transmission. The 'H' position (#1) is for all normal driving on high-traction surfaces (paved roads, etc.)

The 'HL' position (High range, Locked, #2) locks the center differential, and this is to be used ONLY in extremely low traction conditions (glare ice, deep snow, etc.) where you cannot maintain headway in normal 4WD ('H').

The 'N' (neutral position, #3) completely disconnects the transfer case from the engine, and the vehicle will not move on its own power.

Low range, Locked (LL, #4) introduces reduction gearing for even more traction and the ability to crawl at very low speed to reduce tire slippage.

Does your transfer case shifter look like this?

Manual transmission transfer case shifter.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Are you positive the transfer case lever is pulled all the way back in the H position? Sounds like you have a bit of a mix up with with the position of the lever.
I’m going to have to play with it. My other 4wd is a Chevy with a push button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, definitely some confusion here ...

This is what your transfer case shift lever should look like if you have a 6-speed manual transmission. The 'H' position (#1) is for all normal driving on high-traction surfaces (paved roads, etc.)

The 'HL' position (High range, Locked, #2) locks the center differential, and this is to be used ONLY in extremely low traction conditions (glare ice, deep snow, etc.) where you cannot maintain headway in normal 4WD ('H').

The 'N' (neutral position, #3) completely disconnects the transfer case from the engine, and the vehicle will not move on its own power.

Low range, Locked (LL, #4) introduces reduction gearing for even more traction and the ability to crawl at very low speed to reduce tire slippage.

Does your transfer case shifter look like this?

View attachment 1129853
Well **** me! Haha I will check this in the morning. I think this is the issue. Thank you! I will let you know once I check it. I’m sure you are right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I think it was in hL. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Let's go back and start all over again.

1. You just bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser, you are unfamiliar with this vehicle, and you have made some observations:

1. "The 4wd was stuck on and the computer needs replacing...all dash lights are on."

You thought the 4WD was "stuck on" because you felt the driveline binding when you were trying to turn? If you had the transfer case lever in HL, you had the center differential locked, and that will cause the driveline to bind if driven on hi-traction surfaces. If the binding disappears when you shift to H, this problem may be solved ... but maybe not.

2. "... all the dash lights are on."
Can you be a bit more specific as to exactly which warning indicator lights are on (see below)? Knowing which lights are on will give you an indication of a real problem, or driver misuse/error.

3. Question: is this vehicle equipped with a rear differential lock? If so ... from the Owner's Manual:

"The following systems do not operate when the rear differential is locked. It is normal operation for the ABS warning light, VSC OFF indicator and slip indicator to be on at this time.
• ABS
• Brake assist system
• VSC • TRAC "

Is it possible that you also have the rear diff lock engaged, and that is causing further sensation of "binding", and also turning on multiple warning indicator lights that have nothing to do with a defective engine ECU?

If so, immediately fire your grossly incompetent "mechanic".

Here are all the possible indicator lights ... not all are present on a manual transmission model. Note that a little "x" over the center or rear differential indicates that they are locked.
07 instrument warning lights 1.JPG

07 instrument warning lights 2.JPG

·
Registered
999 Posts
I thought the rear locker had some kind of safety or interlock that prevented engagement in the high range. Forget the hack option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I
Let's go back and start all over again.

1. You just bought a used 2007 FJ Cruiser, you are unfamiliar with this vehicle, and you have made some observations:

1. "The 4wd was stuck on and the computer needs replacing...all dash lights are on."

You thought the 4WD was "stuck on" because you felt the driveline binding when you were trying to turn? If you had the transfer case lever in HL, you had the center differential locked, and that will cause the driveline to bind if driven on hi-traction surfaces. If the binding disappears when you shift to H, this problem may be solved ... but maybe not.

2. "... all the dash lights are on."
Can you be a bit more specific as to exactly which warning indicator lights are on (see below)? Knowing which lights are on will give you an indication of a real problem, or driver misuse/error.

3. Question: is this vehicle equipped with a rear differential lock? If so ... from the Owner's Manual:

"The following systems do not operate when the rear differential is locked. It is normal operation for the ABS warning light, VSC OFF indicator and slip indicator to be on at this time.
• ABS
• Brake assist system
• VSC • TRAC "

Is it possible that you also have the rear diff lock engaged, and that is causing further sensation of "binding", and also turning on multiple warning indicator lights that have nothing to do with a defective engine ECU?

If so, immediately fire your grossly incompetent "mechanic".

Here are all the possible indicator lights ... not all are present on a manual transmission model. Note that a little "x" over the center or rear differential indicates that they are locked.
View attachment 1129922
View attachment 1129923
i will spend some time tomorrow now I have a bit on knowledge from coming here. I will post my findings. Thank you for your input 👍

1 - 20 of 33 Posts