Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Big Bear and my rear shock busted. I was doing an easy trail when I hear clanking in the rear. Well my Fox Shox Came apart. Where the shock attaches at top, the stud pulled away from the shock body. I am so angry. I saved my money for 10 months for a quality product and this happens. I hope I can get this fixed before August 9th trail run. I all try to post pics.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
something like this??

this happened to FJPiper on our Mohave road run, funny thing is we barely went 10 minutes on some mild terrain at low speeds before it busted.
We ended up removing the bottom half of the shock (one bolt and a hi lift handle for a pry bar) and he ran the next 2 days without incident, albeit slightly bouncy.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Beat me to it Mike....I thought that sounded familiar....I gunna check mine.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yeah this is the 3rd person, I know of that it has happened to but in 8 months I have had no issues....Just checked mine.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Are the Fox shocks rebuildable like the Walker Evans? I hope you get it fixed soon too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, that gotta hurt.:mecry:....especially when you pay good money........I always thought they had a great rep and a great production......seems like quality is job number 2 lately.....good luck with the mfg or retailer....:bandit:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
No matter how cheap or expensive the product is. $hit is going to break eventually.:flame:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
No matter how cheap or expensive the product is. $hit is going to break eventually.:flame:
True, but when the same spot breaks on different peoples rigs it leads one to believe there may be a manufacturing flaw, perhaps only a certain batch, or a design flaw. we dont see this happening with other rear shocks. Yes some do fail due to either design, installation or straight up abuse, but to break off at the top mounting stud on mild terrain is unacceptable and should begin to warrant an enginering investigation.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
True, but when the same spot breaks on different peoples rigs it leads one to believe there may be a manufacturing flaw, perhaps only a certain batch, or a design flaw. we dont see this happening with other rear shocks. Yes some do fail due to either design, installation or straight up abuse, but to break off at the top mounting stud on mild terrain is unacceptable and should begin to warrant an enginering investigation.
prob a flaw on the fox shocks.bad batch.steel didnt harden well on that spot.should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
This whole shearing off thing with fox's is getting kind of old..

Anyway, you don't need your shock to get you home. You can drive without it. It's just going to be a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Anyway, you don't need your shock to get you home. You can drive without it. It's just going to be a bumpy ride.
X2 I rolled without a shock on my jeep once coming back form the kern.:bigthumb: side to side:rocker:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This isnt an epidemic, we have sold hundreds of these shocks and have run them on the toughest trails in the country, its only the second one we've heard of having this problem. Fox makes a top quality product and stands behind their parts 100%.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts