Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear door was closed with the hook from a motorcycle strap partially wedged between the floor and the door near the side of the door with the latch. Now the door is stuck closed. If you try to open the door from the outside, when you try to squeeze the handle, it doesn't move. Its stuck in place. I have tried to get on the inside and dislodge the end of the strap, but I can't even get it to move in the slightest. I cant get anything to move. Its like everything is completely frozen.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what can be tried to get the door opened back up?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It sounds like the strap is putting so much pressure on the door latch mechanism that it not allowing it to un-latch. Try pushing in as hard as you can against the door near the latching side while attempting to open it. Maybe get someone else to help in pushing against the door.

If that doesn't work, try and see if you can get the strap to move away from the latching side of the door. Maybe try using some Dawn soap on the strap from the inside of the vehicle to get it on the strap as much as possible so that makes it slippery enough to slide away from that side of the door.

The strap is not some how tangled in the latch is it?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I agree with Layton. I'd get in there and put some heavy constant pressure on the door from the inside, while somebody is pulling from the outside. I would think this would work, may take a few tires, you might even need use a very complex physics procedure of "kick the door open at the latch" while pulling on the strap that's stuck. Of course you will need to read all of the works of Newton and Hawking in order to do the procedure correctly. I'm not 100% sure, but if you resort to the kicking method, you might need to get some duct tape too. No real reason behind this, but it seems to me if you are literally kicking your car to fix it, duct tape needs to be involved. Oh and be careful not to spill your beer while kicking the door! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Uggh I hate it when this happens... note to self... if the door doesn't shut properly, don't force it.. can't tell you how many times I've done this...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Very helpful info and I will give it a try soon. And no, the strap isnt tangled in the latch. None of the actual strap is caught, only the top part of the metal hook is, about a half inch or so.

Im not quite sure how it happened. My significant other came to me and said she closed the door and cant get it open. When I investigated, I found the strap. Im not blaming, just stating the facts.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I agree with Layton. I'd get in there and put some heavy constant pressure on the door from the inside, while somebody is pulling from the outside.
Haha, that is the exact opposite of what i was saying, haha.

The strap, if it is wedged between the door and the body, would be causing pressure on the latch. (the strap is already pushing the door away)

So to relieve that pressure, you must press on the door from the outside.

If that doesn't work, then i would try to figure out some way to slide the strap away from the side with the latch if possible.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree with Layton. I'd get in there and put some heavy constant pressure on the door from the inside, while somebody is pulling from the outside. I would think this would work, may take a few tires, you might even need use a very complex physics procedure of "kick the door open at the latch" while pulling on the strap that's stuck. Of course you will need to read all of the works of Newton and Hawking in order to do the procedure correctly. I'm not 100% sure, but if you resort to the kicking method, you might need to get some duct tape too. No real reason behind this, but it seems to me if you are literally kicking your car to fix it, duct tape needs to be involved. Oh and be careful not to spill your beer while kicking the door! :cheers:
Along w/Duct Tape ya gotta have bailing wire, it just won't work with out both......Just saying....:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

The strap, if it is wedged between the door and the body, would be causing pressure on the latch. (the strap is already pushing the door away)

If that doesn't work, then i would try to figure out some way to slide the strap away from the side with the latch if possible.
Well sh!t son, make sense when you open your feed hole! Personally, I would do your route first, try to get the strap out, but if he cannot open the door because of the strap, I don't see him being able to pull the strap out. Hence my man up, grunt, scratch your balls, and force it open like the lid on a pickle jar!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Along w/Duct Tape ya gotta have bailing wire, it just won't work with out both......Just saying....:cheers:
Very true, I nearly forgot. I'm going to throw this out there, a couple of vice grips. I can do some magic with some vice grips.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Well sh!t son, make sense when you open your feed hole! Personally, I would do your route first, try to get the strap out, but if he cannot open the door because of the strap, I don't see him being able to pull the strap out. Hence my man up, grunt, scratch your balls, and force it open like the lid on a pickle jar!:bigthumb:
-facepalm-

haha

Not pull the strap out, but use some soap or something to lubricate it so that you could slide the strap away from where it is located, not pull it out from the door.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Light the strap on fire then once its burnt enough open the door and extinguish the fire.

JOKE JOKE JOKE.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
-facepalm-

haha

Not pull the strap out, but use some soap or something to lubricate it so that you could slide the strap away from where it is located, not pull it out from the door.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Get yourself two large prybars and some scrap lumber, try to pry the door in a upward motion. This may give enough clearance to pull the strap out. Sounds like you need a few extra hands to push,pull,lift and pry.... If all else fails...Break out the Sawsall and cut the door hinges off!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
-facepalm-

haha

UH I could go some many ways with this statement but I won't ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts

^^^This. The strap might be pushing the door against the closed latch so hard you can't actuate the latch via the handle. Pushing the door IN might relieve some of the pressure on the latch, allowing you to actuate it. OR, this could wedge it in worse, only if the door isn't actually all the way closed at the moment.

Does that make sense? Just guessing based on your description, without the benefit of seeing what it looks like is going on.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
UH I could go some many ways with this statement but I won't ;)
Layton's statement got me so hot and bothered, I had to drink a Mint Julep and donate twice at church!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to get it open. After trying a couple different things, I was able to take a hammer and tap the part of the hook sticking out in one direction slightly, then I tapped it back in the other direction. By working it back and forth a couple of times, it seemed to loosen things up a little. Then I grabbed the strap and gave it a couple of yanks and got the hook to pop out.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
:werd:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts