Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
to tell the truth, when I activate it from the driver's seat, I can't hardly tell the difference. On songs with a lot of bass, you can tell, and you can tell if you are in the back listening for it, but it's not much of a sub, in my opinion. Still, it's a lot better than most stock stereos I've had. :)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My stock sub thumps so much that I have to run it on "Bass 0" "Treble +2" And I don't even listen to rap or the such. It shakes the door panels to the point that I don't like it. I listen to a lot of rock like beasty boys, limp bisket, Kid rock, Rush, and classic rock. I am more than happy with the bass output when I run my radio at a volume setting at 35-40. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
my kenwood gets that sub bumping so id check your settings i bet bass is turned down

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
X2 on the type of music & the bass setting being down. I thought the same thing,when playing older cd's I didn't hear it so much, but new stuff It pounds pretty good for a factory unit(you must remember it's still a factory unit). I just got a new Crutchfield catalog in the mail(you can get a free one at crutchfield.com),high end stuff, but real good stuff. & their support is great. I used them for my ZR2-only replaced the factory speakers with a set of Blaupunkt speakers(only swapped out the speakers,nothing else),& that made a huge difference in the sound. I do think I'll do the same to the FJ at some point. I still think the factory system is damn good for just that a factory system.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Factory sub does make a difference. It's not too bad for low cost factory system. One thing I noticed when I first got my FJ was that after pressing the SUB button there is a few second delay before it kicks in. But once it does you should be able to hear the sub with most music.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
As others mentioned, did you try to adjust the
treble/bass setting on the factory head unit, I
know with mine, when I first got the FJ, the
setting were all the way down, so after i moved
it up, you could hear the difference... It's not
going to be like the truck thumpers on a high
end system, but adds the right amount of quality
IMO...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if your music has the frequency range the subwoofer is responsible for you CAN HEAR IT....on others you may not.

If I put in some Rage Against the Machine, Blackeyed Peas, Puddle of Mud or Kid Rock then I can thump with the best of them in my FJ. If I am playing Metallica, Disturbed, AC/DC then it is not much more than regular bass.

The subwoofer does not create sound where there is none...it only plays a lower frequency that was not possible through normal speaker arrangements....

Borrow your son or daughters rap or other music and plug it in.....or go to BestBuy and buy one of their cds that advertise it has lots of BOOM or BASS....and try again. I find it is more noticeable from CD than radio as well....might be because of frequencies they can transmitt over airways.

If it is hooked up properly and you have button depressed it will be noticeable. I can put in cd and listen without sub....and then it sub button and a second or two later I can hear it shift the much lower frequencies to the sub... :D :D :D :D:rocker::cheers:

One last thing....this subwoofer can definately THUMP with the big boys short of the ones that bounce your car sideways at stop light. With right music source it will cause everyone around you to look for the source of the thump and they will look right past your FJ and look at the kids next to you every time...LOL

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
If none of the other suggestions work, take the panel off just below the sub and ensure that the sub wiring harness is connected to the vehicle wiring harness just below the sub. I know it sounds rediculous, but I've had exactly that problem with two Toys (1 4runner, 1 tacoma) on the four wheel drive module in the passenger side kick panel. Worth a try. Maybe they just forgot to connect it.

Sorry for the weak suggestion but who knows?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
If none of the other suggestions work, take the panel off just below the sub and ensure that the sub wiring harness is connected to the vehicle wiring harness just below the sub. I know it sounds rediculous, but I've had exactly that problem with two Toys (1 4runner, 1 tacoma) on the four wheel drive module in the passenger side kick panel. Worth a try. Maybe they just forgot to connect it.

Sorry for the weak suggestion but who knows?
Not a weak suggestion at all, my rear parking assist wiring wasn't even hooked up when I bought my FJ. The dealer had to take the stinking rear bumper off to hook it up.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Perfect "Brock", this is what I was trying to get at. One other thing, when I was tapping into my dome light lead I pop'ed a fuse. The factory settings on everything kicked in & I had to reset all of my personal settings on the F Jammer. I think Brock said it best, try a different type of music (even if you hate it) just to check too make sure it's on. I don't even know what the hell my 12 y.o. son is punching into the radio 1/2 the time ???????

·
Registered
938 Posts
The factory sub box is ported. Even if you're deaf you should be able to feel the air pass through the box openings on the front. On a side note, replacing the factory stereo is typically the first step for me on any new car. I'm not quite an audiophile, but I do want to feel the music. However with the FJ, I'm quite surprised with the amount of sound the factory system provides. It's not going to blow any doors off or be felt from down the street, but in the cab with the windows up the system works well. You should definitely be capable of hearing or feeling the difference with toggling the sub switch. Check your connections. Is the switch hooked up? If it is a recent purchase, take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out for you.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes... You should be able to hear it. Adjust the base setting up, as others have mentioned, and of course press the sub-woofer switch to turn it on. I'm not really sure why they put a switch on it, but they did. I normally keep the base adjusted to +3 and it even thumps on radio/bluegrass.. Ron

i am pretty sure my subwoofer isn't working on my week old TT.
You should hear a difference if the button on the dash is pressed in or out, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. the type of music makes a big difference. Older music you can barely hear the sub.:mecry:
embarrassed to admit it, but it does work! and yes, music type makes a difference... Feeling the port or watching the cone confirms it works! Put the right disc in and it is like somewhere went back there and fitted some new unit...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts