Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched a little more than half of the 22 pages on this forum dedicated to sub woofer enclosures and have found nothing. I've called and sent emails to SubThump for more than a week, with no response. Their phone message says that they'll be closed thru April 7th!!! That should have told me all I need about how they run their business. I want a clean mount above the wheel well for a 10" or 12" sub. Even considering a powered sub IF it's a clean fit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've searched a little more than half of the 22 pages on this forum dedicated to sub woofer enclosures and have found nothing. I've called and sent emails to SubThump for more than a week, with no response. Their phone message says that they'll be closed thru April 7th!!! That should have told me all I need about how they run their business. I want a clean mount above the wheel well for a 10" or 12" sub. Even considering a powered sub IF it's a clean fit. Any suggestions?
I upgraded the stock sub for my first budget attempt at getting more bass for cheap with the fj. I bought a $65 skar low profile 8in sub. Added a 1500w amp I had laying around and it was probably 10 times louder than the stock sub. Only made minor modifications to the stock box. Just enough trimming to make the sub fit in the hole flush. Took the 4 wires running to the stock sub and wired them to a line out converter. Worked great. Since then I've upgraded again. I've now got a single 12 sealed box from wickedcas and a skar 12in sub on a 4000w amp I had from a previous vehicle that was running 2 15s. The box from wicked cas is great. Fits in stock location. I can take some pictures if you like. Of each setup. The first option using the stock sub box while using the speaker wires coming off the stock sub amp to feed the bigger amp input allows you to retain the functionality of the sub button.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I upgraded the stock sub for my first budget attempt at getting more bass for cheap with the fj. I bought a $65 skar low profile 8in sub. Added a 1500w amp I had laying around and it was probably 10 times louder than the stock sub. Only made minor modifications to the stock box. Just enough trimming to make the sub fit in the hole flush. Took the 4 wires running to the stock sub and wired them to a line out converter. Worked great. Since then I've upgraded again. I've now got a single 12 sealed box from wickedcas and a skar 12in sub on a 4000w amp I had from a previous vehicle that was running 2 15s. The box from wicked cas is great. Fits in stock location. I can take some pictures if you like. Of each setup. The first option using the stock sub box while using the speaker wires coming off the stock sub amp to feed the bigger amp input allows you to retain the functionality of the sub button.

Sorry, I have a base 2010 FJ and no existing sub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could build one out of MDF or fiberglass! I'm working on one now because I didn't like the fit and finish of the subthump. Here's my progress so far. Putting a JL 10TW3 in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not sure where they are located but I'm dealing with a lot of companies across the country that still haven't returned to work due to shelter in place orders, If you think back to March/early April most of us thought this was going to be over before mid April. I have manufacturers that are still saying they can't even take orders due to this mess.
Just a thought, maybe it's their state reps and virus issues and not their business practices. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got subthump enclosure a few months ago made for JL 10TW3 with FJ logo. Pricey but Love it. I got it a week after ordering, no issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
OP keep in mind your going to need a aftermarket headunit with sub preouts and amp , that JLTW3 is a good choice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good! Got almost a 1/4 inch of glass laid up and pulled it out. Ordered a sub ring from ak audio and I'm hoping to finish up this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you try Crutchfield?

·
Registered
103 Posts
OP keep in mind your going to need a aftermarket headunit with sub preouts and amp , that JLTW3 is a good choice
Not necessarily. The op could source a stock sub amp and make it work aswell with a line out converter With a lil bit of know how the stock amp and have pre outs added to it to feed a bigger amp. After all the stock setup is a dual voice coil 60w speaker.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I have a Kicker over my wheel well. Bought it years ago but I believe it is similar to the CompRT. Loaded Subwoofer Enclosures | Subwoofer Boxes | KICKER®

1 - 13 of 13 Posts