Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to swap my stock sub out today, but noticed the stock FJ driver (I am only replacing the driver) has 4 connections, and my new JL driver only has 2.

I have the wrong speaker don't I? Is there away around this little problem or do I need a different driver altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the plug from the stock sub, the same as the jl? ive never seen a speaker having more then 2, postitive, and negitive, ends..
No, Toyota used those little spade terminal things.

Two purple wires: one positive, one negative on one side of the driver
Two green wires: one postive, one negative on the other side

This is called dual voice coil or DVC from my limited knowledge in this department.

The JL driver has one postive, on negative at the bottom of the driver, and uses a much fancier terminal. Cutting the wires is to put them in the JL terminals is no big deal, but I think I have an extra set for this "single voice coil" driver.

It's all new to me too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever became of this? Can the pairs of positive and negative terminals be tied together?

I got a great deal on a 4 ohm, 8" Kicker, but it's not a dual voice coil.

I'm NOT wanting to replace the amp, just the speaker. Wanted to make sure bridging the output of the stock sub amp would be OK... ...or should I just use ONE pair of the stock outputs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, tell me something I don't know already... ...maybe need some reading comprehension help, or else it was an attempt to up your post count...

I said I had a Kicker 8" 4 ohm sub... and was looking for info on possibly bridging STOCK amp outputs.

Currently using just one, of the two pairs, of the stock amp outputs. Sounds OK, but if I can increase the output by bridging the two pairs, I will. Just don't want to experiment using my amp.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So why exactly only replace the sub? Replace the sub and the amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So why exactly only replace the sub? Replace the sub and the amp.
...because I'm cheap... ...because I don't want to... ... and I don't want to go through the the trouble of upgrading Toyota's (minimal needed) wiring. Maybe later, but for now I just wanted to just use the stock amp with a better speaker. I don't need to "bump" my FJ over obstacles using subwoofer speaker power!

Sooooo, I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about bridging the stock amp's outputs. Seems nobody has an answer. Trouble with using only one of the two pairs of stock amp outputs, is that there is probably a left and right channel output going to the two voice coils, and I'm only getting the use of one side. Maybe I should bridge the two INPUTS to the stock amp, so the output has both channel's information on each pair of outputs?

:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's a link from Rockford Fosgate showing how to wire different speakers. Not sure how much help that will be. I replaced my stock subwoofer with one of their Dual voice coil 2 ohm units. Sound is better, less boomy and used the stock FJ connectors in the RF push spring terminals. I had to crimp the positive (1/4") spades to make them fit but it works.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2007/5_Subwoofers/1230-53314-01_RF_P2Sub-MAN.pdf

Also here is a pdf extract from the FJ manual showing the speaker wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
No, Toyota used those little spade terminal things.

Two purple wires: one positive, one negative on one side of the driver
Two green wires: one postive, one negative on the other side

This is called dual voice coil or DVC from my limited knowledge in this department.

The JL driver has one postive, on negative at the bottom of the driver, and uses a much fancier terminal. Cutting the wires is to put them in the JL terminals is no big deal, but I think I have an extra set for this "single voice coil" driver.

It's all new to me too...
Sorry to bump this old thread. But I rececieved a 8inch DVC kicker from a trade deal. I plan on doing the same upgrade to my factory sub, without upgrading the amp.

I havent opened up the box in the car yet, But are saying I can just plug up everything the same way since the stock sub is DVC too?

Heres the back of my sub. 2 positive, 2 negative.

Edit: nevermind, hooked it up today and works fine. Hits cleaner and harder as well. :)
Gonna need dynamat....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts