Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one at Costco today for about $70..have never looked into one of these..

Meanwhile can anyone suggest one they are using? I am getting my FJ any day now and this is something I'd like to add..

THanks!

·
Banned
463 Posts
Well, do you plan on adding navigation or not? Most of the standalone backup cameras I've seen aren't really that good. One that comes to mind is the VR3, about a 2" screen, terrible quality, and wireless. Some on here love it, but I tried one out and took it back soon after I hooked it up. A totally wired camera will have a much better picture quality and on a nav screen a much larger picture to view.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I saw one at Costco today for about $70..have never looked into one of these..

Meanwhile can anyone suggest one they are using? I am getting my FJ any day now and this is something I'd like to add..

THanks!
Click "search" at the top of the page.
type in "backup camera" (including the quotes.)
Scan down the page. (Or hit Control "F" and type in backup)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have no problem with the VR3 in mine. I was not looking for LCD big screen quality, just to see what is behind me. I've backed down a nasty trail in Harlan using it too. It is also helpfull in backing into a trailer if you center mount it in the bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I have a navigation unit and backup camera integration is very easy.
I installed/mounted the Eclipse BEC106 in the rear bumper and it's plug-n-play with the Toyota OEM NAVi unit model #7003.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
I have the Toyota RearSight Backup Camera. I bought it from TRDSParks and installed it myself. I'm very happy with it and my wife loves it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
660 Posts
The one from Costco is actually better quality than it looks. I have a friend that has had one for about 3 years and has had no problems. I recently got one, and I will use the 3" screen it comes with until I get my in dash screen. It is hard wired.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can someone give me some advice. I purchased an AudioVox backup camera and hooked in up to my Eclipse AVN5510. I bought the adapter to plug into the headunit since it wasn't the Eclipse backup camera. MY problem is that the monitor does not automatically show the image when I put the car in reverse. I have to manually select it everytime i go in reverse. I put the setting on automatic but that didn't work. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Here we go again....lol hitch cam!!! search the forum
HitchCam's site says that it's designed to be used w/a 7 pin connector. The FJ only has a 4 pin connector.

Were you able to use a 4 to 7 pin adapter make it work on your FJ or did you have to remove the 4 pin connector and wire in a 7 pin connector (or do something else) to make it work?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Can someone give me some advice. I purchased an AudioVox backup camera and hooked in up to my Eclipse AVN5510. I bought the adapter to plug into the headunit since it wasn't the Eclipse backup camera. MY problem is that the monitor does not automatically show the image when I put the car in reverse. I have to manually select it everytime i go in reverse. I put the setting on automatic but that didn't work. Any advice is appreciated.
don't know too much about the Eclipse, but most HU require you to hook up the reverse wire so the unit knows when you are backing up. Is this connect on your HU? if it is, then it's a programing or connection issue.

Good Luck

T
Alhambra? Hey Neighbor!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
don't know too much about the Eclipse, but most HU require you to hook up the reverse wire so the unit knows when you are backing up. Is this connect on your HU? if it is, then it's a programing or connection issue.

Good Luck

T
Alhambra? Hey Neighbor!
yeah the head unit has a reverse wire that you can tag to switch to the cam when backing up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I did tap into the reverse wire, but I my screen still doesn't automatically switch over when I put it into reverse. I have to select backup camera evertime then select back to the radio or map screen.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i bet there is a setting in the headunit to make it automatic... on another note... i purchased one of those $20 units off of ebay and it works fantastic on my kenwood for over a year now... i drilled a hole out of my hitch cover/plug deal and ran the wires... works every bit as good as the $200+ cameras... i cant imagine spending the big bucks on something that you will use for at the most 15-20 seconds... i have used it to back up a long duration, but honestly most the time its just a few seconds... and i cant imagine my rig without one...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
VR3 has worked great for me for almost 2 years now. If you just plan on using it for backing up, then this is the ticket. If you want it to stare at traffic behind you as you drive down the road then don't get this one. The image is not the best quality but it gets the job done for backing out of the driveway or parking spaces. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts