1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I have for suggestions:

1. FJ's only; no damn 4 Runners, especially with a 4 Runner being a trail guide
2. More seating especially for the raffle
3. Can we get kegs of beer for dinners? I can probably get Colorado Boy in Ridgway to donate some kegs for us next year
4. Give people choice of shorter trails, maybe instead of 2 trails do 1 trail; makes along time out on trails sometimes; ex: Alpine took 11 hours (WTF)

I can't think of anything else now but I'm sure I will. I look forward to seeing all you next year!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
i'll be there next year. i dont know about doin an 11 hour trail run though, they should let you know before you head out on that one. the kegs sound like a great idea.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts

3. Can we get kegs of beer for dinners? I can probably get Colorado Boy in Ridgway to donate some kegs for us next year
4. Give people choice of shorter trails, maybe instead of 2 trails do 1 trail; makes along time out on trails sometimes; ex: Alpine took 11 hours (WTF)

I can't think of anything else now but I'm sure I will. I look forward to seeing all you next year!:rocker:
1. No. I like 4runners. Especially ones that see the trail.
2. That would be nice.
3. That would be extra nice!:rocker::cheers:
4. Alpine is a long one. Especially if it's a big group and there are lots of stops. I did Imogene and Ophir on Sat. and was back at about 3:30 Left at 9. So not too bad on that one, but they should give a heads up on Alpine.

I had a blast and can't wait until next year!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The only thing I will change is the amount of time I take off. I want more than a week, next year. Rafting fishing,exploring etc.
Agreed on the time off but I want to do a expedition style trip and leave from Aspen and try and do all drit roads and trails to the summit and end up around North of Ouray (or in for the Metal Tech shindig) on Friday night to be able to due a run on Saturday with the Summit.

Whenit comes to the kegs i don't think that the hotel would agree or would be in charge of it as they were saying only LQ bought from them was allowed....on the other hand I don't see them having legal grounds for saying anything about having a keg in your room:cheers:

And lets hope this thread is not closed down by those who justly deserve their rest and respect on the matter:rocker::rocker::cheers::clap:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
A PA system that can be heard from the back (cheap seats).
all you really need is speakers in the middle and not all up front.....

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Sanctioned runs at night

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts

To correspond with your numbering:
1) I think you are being too harsh. People bounce around and buy different vehicles. It's like saying, "Sorry you had a kid and the FJ's backseat sucks and you sold it so you are no longer welcome at our event." PS-4Runners pretty much address all the negatives of the FJ so I think you are just jealous.

2) That's tough for the organizers to figure because they don't always know exactly how many are coming in each vehicle and how many are leaving early (before the raffle begins). It's a guessing game. They've capped registration in an effort to keep the event at a reasonable size for the venue.

3) The organizers would probably be happy to have your help in arranging this. Not sure what the rules are though as far distributing free beer on Best Western's turf.

4) Alpine Loop is and probably always will be the longest trail run. Deal with it. Some people are here to see, photograph and experience the great outdoors rather than sit around watching television in their hotel room. While the folks who've been at the Summit more than once or twice may not feel the need to take lots of pics, newbs generally take the opportunity to take pics and look around when a stop is made and this is what memories are made of. If and when I lead runs on the Alpine Loop, I make sure my crew stops at the major mine sites, view points, restrooms, Animas Fork, Lake City and gets back to Ouray in time for dinner. The stops really add up but we're not herding cattle here. We're enjoying great vistas, taking memorable photos, and making new friends. That is what the Summit is all about.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
A PA system that can be heard from the back (cheap seats).
I do agree with this. It is an issue every year. We really need some additional satellite speakers around the tent.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Woodsman, I think you should also become a regular trail leader, great job and pleased to finally meet you!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
To correspond with your numbering:
1) I think you are being too harsh. People bounce around and buy different vehicles. It's like saying, "Sorry you had a kid and the FJ's backseat sucks and you sold it so you are no longer welcome at our event." PS-4Runners pretty much address all the negatives of the FJ so I think you are just jealous.

2) That's tough for the organizers to figure because they don't always know exactly how many are coming in each vehicle and how many are leaving early (before the raffle begins). It's a guessing game. They've capped registration in an effort to keep the event at a reasonable size for the venue.

3) The organizers would probably be happy to have your help in arranging this. Not sure what the rules are though as far distributing free beer on Best Western's turf.

4) Alpine Loop is and probably always will be the longest trail run. Deal with it. Some people are here to see, photograph and experience the great outdoors rather than sit around watching television in their hotel room. While the folks who've been at the Summit more than once or twice may not feel the need to take lots of pics, newbs generally take the opportunity to take pics and look around when a stop is made and this is what memories are made of. If and when I lead runs on the Alpine Loop, I make sure my crew stops at the major mine sites, view points, restrooms, Animas Fork, Lake City and gets back to Ouray in time for dinner. The stops really add up but we're not herding cattle here. We're enjoying great vistas, taking memorable photos, and making new friends. That is what the Summit is all about.

:cheers:
Well said my friend! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
Woodsman, I think you should also become a regular trail leader, great job and pleased to finally meet you!
I slacked on signing up and when I went on the website my trails already had leaders. If I hadn't received a text at 11:00 Wed evening while sitting in the Outlaw I probably would've just run my assigned trails. Oh, the text was asking if I could lead Alpine Loop at 7:00 the next morning. :cheers:

We will see what next year holds in the cards. :wave:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I thought the 4 runner people were cool, sure they were a little slower going over obsticales but it didn't matter to me we were there to have fun

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts

1. I disagree. I'd follow a 4 Runner any day. I'd even share my last sandwich with them if I were to find out they had forgotten lunch.
2. Yes! riding laps is rough. Esp. when you don't know the guy the usher assigns to you.
3. No opinion. I haven't had a drink in many many years, but I'm glad you all enjoy a cold one.
4. Run the Alpine loop with us. It's long but we'll try to shave some time off her for ya. I'd love to lead or just be in a burner run where everybody hits it hard and fast (but safe). Alpine is a good one if you want to see as much as possible. Alpine, Black Bear & Imogene is a good line-up IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
I almost forgot to mention this . . . not everyone is representing our group in a positive light. There are still individuals going out and travelling far too fast down roads such as Ophir, Last Dollar, the road into Silverton as well as not slowing down adequately when passing pedestrians (hikers), bicyclists, and other open vehicles such as Jeeps, quad riders, and tour trucks. One day (on Imogene) a tour truck operator waved me down and told me a small group of FJs, four I think, had blown by him leaving them in a cloud of dust. He told me he was a fan of our group (his son got one of our scholarships) but wanted me to pass it along in hopes things could be improved. It would be nice if his customers (many of which are vacationing Europeans) could finish their ride without needing to be hosed off at the end of the day. :lol: He also said that these folks who like to stir up all the dust should try running all the dusty sections with all of their windows open and see how they like it when other vehicle blow by them. I cannot disagree.

Many need to be reminded that we are sharing these trails with others that have just as much right to them as we do regardless of whether they are on foot, bicycle, quad, Jeep, or tour truck. :cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree totally with woodsman!......nice to meet you and your bro BTW

4runner guys rock. Jarad, sandstorm Chris and gadget (URD) are three I know!

I'm already thinking a modded 4runner is in my future for family sanity.

I will also second the night run suggestion above.

Summit 12 here we come! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 161 Posts