Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
F. More eye candy couldn't hurt.
Ill just state a little knowledge I've learned about mountain towns from living in and around them for some time and you can break it down like backcountry camping rules.....pack in and pack out, the rule can be stretched in the last part though, in this case if you so desire.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Here's what I have for suggestions:

4. Give people choice of shorter trails, maybe instead of 2 trails do 1 trail; makes along time out on trails sometimes; ex: Alpine took 11 hours (WTF)
The group that I led did the Alpine loop in 6 hours plus time for lunch (pause for the cause). Sometimes the guys had a difficult time keeping up... A group left at 6:30, we left at 8:00 and we passed them on the other side of Lake City (half way).

There are fast trail leaders and painfully slow trail leaders. Everyone has a preference and perhaps runs could be geared to the "fast" or "slow" nature of the person in the lead rig.

I almost forgot to mention this . . . not everyone is representing our group in a positive light. There are still individuals going out and travelling far too fast down roads such as Ophir, Last Dollar, the road into Silverton as well as not slowing down adequately when passing pedestrians (hikers), bicyclists, and other open vehicles such as Jeeps, quad riders, and tour trucks.
I could possibly fit into this category since County Road 2 into Silverton has a 25 MPH limit and it's a wide graded dirt road...suitable for speeds in excess of 25. I think that I was listening to Sammy Hagar singing "I can't drive 55" at one point. But Woodsman's point is well taken. Being careful on curves and mindful of others is always the correct approach.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Ok, first off to everyone responding in here, I'll do my best to respond to most of the issues and suggestions. Thanks for bringing the possitive vibes too. Every year there is something we regret and it burns us on the inside, but we just try to not do that next year.

We'll make sure the PA doesn't suck next year, it is a rental, and we don't set it up, we'll make sure we do that better next year!

My responses in bold so I don't have to keep closing quote tags (why is that not easier??)

P.S., WE TAKE VOLUNTEERS, so everyone in here can help make things better!!! Pretty please?

Could the field across from the BW be used?

That is privately owned and we cannot use it, we've tried

On a side note about the BW, maybe they could have more than one chow line.

We'll talk to Ryan about that, the lines were much too long, sorry.

1. Create magnetic numbers (i.e. 1 - 10) and have the trail leader pass them out at the beginning of each trail and pick them up afterwards. Then number the vehicles so people can refer to each other when needed. Maybe a sponsor can create them.

For how many people who attend, and how many people would just keep them at the end of the run, this would cost a fortune. If someone wants to pay for it, by all means. We suggest to the trail leaders to assign numbers to people and have them call it out on the CB to have an association with placement and voice.

2. Everyone should have a working CB. Plus if it is working, it should reach more than one vehicle back.
The trail leaders are volunteers, in our volunteer webpage, we require a CB to be a trail leader. If they say 'yes', but then don't have one, that is really unfortunate.

4. Maybe do the Metal Tech party at the BW. By the time I got there, there was no food and the beer line was too long to wait.

They can't. They tried one year, but then the BW owns the alcohol and they couldn't give it away for free. Major cluster. It is also not an official event under the FJSummit, and is run by Metaltech. This is the first year it was REALLY packed, and they are paying for the food out of their pockets. Something to consider.

5. Convince Discount Tire to bring tires and tire repair equipment. I know could have used them.

Good idea, send that to the discount tire folks on this forum, I'm sure they'd like feedback.
-I really enjoyed the workshops - please continue those.
Sweet, glad they are liked!

Thank you again to all the volunteers - had a great time and can't wait to come back!

Woot! Thanks to the volunteers x1000
The FJ Summit is the best organized event I have seen. I think the current venue/format works quite well.
Thanks, we appreciate it!

About the only thing I would suggest would be to try and get some 4x4 magazines to show up and cover the event.
Toyota 4WD Owner was there year 2 and 3 and *cough* my 4Runner was on the main page *cough* We'd love to have them back anytime they want to come. Year 4 we were featured in a Japanese Toyota magazine, but none of us speak Japanese, so it could've said it was a terrible event, who knows.
1) Trail leaders should not only have a CB but it should also work.
Two out of three runs didnt have this! (although through group teamwork this turned out to be the least of my 3 gripes listed)
Then they shouldn't have volunteered as trail leaders, sorry once again for this!
A. I agree that more vechicles per trail run = longer time out, so limiting the vehicles to say 8-max per run with more runs per day would be much better.
It's a math game, we need people off the trail at a certain time, and we have 230+ vehicles to get out there every morning. I think we have to stick with 10, sorry.

B. Don't know if it is supposed to work this way, but making certian traffic is "One-Way" only would be safer and faster for everyone. I'm certain the state trail mounties would also agree with this?
We can only handle our event and all of our runs our one way (by license). This year was wonky with black bear, it usually isn't going both ways. If you saw Fj's going the wrong way (like I did on corkscrew) they are going on their own and making stupid decisions.

C. Every trail should have a pre-defined CB channel, that way the guides, individuals and trail enforcement can commumicate properly. I'm certain this would have helped avoid some issues encountered along the trails.
The trail leaders should be responsible for this, we could NEVER organize this, it'd be far too hard, but great suggestion!

D. Off-Road Newbies may warrant special consideration and may want or should be grouped separately. This has nothing to do with wanting an easy, moderate or extreeme experience, just time on the trail. Many of us with years of experience are not new to off-roading just the trail system. In this case an experienced driver may choose low effort trails just to understand the expectations and enjoy the ride without slowing things down.
Noted

G. I'd like to see a restuarant rating. Examples: Billy Goat Gruff's had horrible food by an interesting outdoor atmosphere, Best pizza was Goldbelt, best pub was O'briens (nice beer maidens too).
You just made it part way there, this would be perfect as a forum submitted project. I'd even sticky it on the forum if people make it.

H. No pool should have water temperture over 85/90F.
They are hot springs heated by the earth and cannot be controlled. Talk to the upper mantel layer about this one! :)

I. No smoking should mean no smoking on the building premissis not just in the rooms!
J. Breakfast was too late for the early trail departures.
K. The ATM ran out of money, the laundary ran out soap and the machines had no coins to exchange for dollars.
All of these are BW suggestions and I'm sure they'd appreciate the call
Phew, that was long, hopefully there aren't 10 more posts written while I typed this!!

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I say we have some new combinations in trails too... there's a way to do "some" of the alipine loop and not all. Doing Poughkeepsie then heading to Engineer.. I think a few even mentioned Alta Lakes. I'm up for planning some with the organizers :)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I say we have some new combinations in trails too... there's a way to do "some" of the alipine loop and not all. Doing Poughkeepsie then heading to Engineer.. I think a few even mentioned Alta Lakes. I'm up for planning some with the organizers :)
Agreed and we'll call you on that next February, and I have internet evidence!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I think Alta lakes is a no go as I think it's in and out, and I'm all for helping out with what I can from now until the next one.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Here's what I have for suggestions:

1. FJ's only; no damn 4 Runners, especially with a 4 Runner being a trail guide
Especially one's named Jared!!
We almost brought the Tacoma to the event this year, but it's camo so you wouldn't have seen it.

The only thing I will change is the amount of time I take off. I want more than a week, next year. Rafting fishing,exploring etc.
Catch a fish! Definitely needs to happen!

1: Sigh, I own a 4Runner and am one of 3 directors of the FJSummit, so that isn't happening. Next year you, me, gadget, and Chris will all race to the top of engineers, and if you can beat all of us, we'll think about it. I'd have good money on that not happening.
How about a slow poke race :devil:

2. Everyone should have a working CB. Plus if it is working, it should reach more than one vehicle back.
Caveat, CB etiquette. Don't be a Gabby Gabster or I will turn the CB off, use hand signals, unscrew your antenna and paint your axle pink while you sleep. Just sayin'

About the only thing I would suggest would be to try and get some 4x4 magazines to show up and cover the event. This would help build interest in the platform. It is also kind of cool when your ride shows up in a national publication.
There have been a few Toyota mags in the past. Meh. If you can think of other ones I'm sure the organizers will contact them :bigthumb:

F. More eye candy couldn't hurt.
:confused:
Ask FJ&TJDude to bring the boobs???

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Agreed and we'll call you on that next February, and I have internet evidence!
You got it Jared :)

so long as you don't take me down with those big guns ya got... :D

I gotta say..I'm officially skkerrred of Jared :worried:

·
Registered
917 Posts
This was my first FJ summit. I was not impressed with Box Canon Hotel, the suite was way over priced at about $850 for five nights. I'll be camping next year. As for everything else this was a great event, with a lot of good people making it happen. My family had a great time. We were able to gather information in our down time, in an attempt to make next year even better for us. I went on one night run and didn't get to bed till 2:30. It was a good time, however having a run scheduled for 8:00 the following morning is not something everyone can handle. My wife and five year old had a real good time for the first two days. On the third I could tell they were tired of being bounced around. Next year I think were using an afternoon and going rafting in Silverton, just to mix it up a little. I'd be interested in rafting before the summit as well. Seems to be about $85 a person, for four hours.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
so long as you don't take me down with those big guns ya got... :D
I gotta say..I'm officially skkerrred of Jared :worried:
Unless you are an atlas stone, or a sand bag, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Unless you are an atlas stone, or a sand bag, you have nothing to worry about.
next you'll be caber tossing ya brute :)

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
I think Alta lakes is a no go as I think it's in and out, and I'm all for helping out with what I can from now until the next one.
Alta Lakes is a matter of planning. Maybe offer two runs a day. 7:30 am and 10:00 am with a run over Ophir on the return because the beginning of Ophir is only about 4 miles from the Alta Lakes turn-off. I recommended this run to Ty and it remains to be seen whether or not they decide to offer it. It's a very gentle trip but it's also very pretty.

I think that the point is that we need MORE trail options and possibly smaller groups. I know that it can be difficult to find trail leaders and it brings up logistic issues, but it will make the Summit more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Alta Lakes is a matter of planning. Maybe offer two runs a day. 7:30 am and 10:00 am with a run over Ophir on the return because the beginning of Ophir is only about 4 miles from the Alta Lakes turn-off. I recommended this run to Ty and it remains to be seen whether or not they decide to offer it. It's a very gentle trip but it's also very pretty.

I think that the point is that we need MORE trail options and possibly smaller groups. I know that it can be difficult to find trail leaders and it brings up logistic issues, but it will make the Summit more enjoyable.
I think he might have scoped it out on Monday after the event. We'll talk about it.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How about shock collars for the loud ass kids running around in the trees!

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Amanda you can't use the "I just had a baby excuse" either... cause I'll sure as hell will be there :rocker: I was promised we'll go no matter what every year from this point on ;)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I'm so glad Jared is on here...no way I had time to respond to all these...

MissFJ...I have internet evidence you are coming next year...
I just wrote a script to auto-respond, so it is no problem.
Audio - Check
Alpine Loop - Check
Night Runs - Check
etc.

I wrote the script in 2007 and it is still working like a charm!

Re: Amanda
She said "if" she comes she'll volunteer.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
How about shock collars for the loud ass kids running around in the trees!
:lol::lol: you ain't going to make very many friends with the suggestions you've made so far :)

41 - 60 of 161 Posts