Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Unfortunately because trail leaders are comped their lunch, they took advantage of that. Can, 't blame them for that, but half the group sat outside and ate what we brought. The * restaurant * wasn't equipped to handle speedy service. Hence, my prepaid box lunch option.:cheers:
I actually think its a good idea. I'd rather eat my lunch on the trail then stop at a restuarant.

I don't know that trail leaders are comped their lunch tho??

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Personally, I think the easiest answer is for everyone just to accept the reality that the Alpine Loop is a long run. Lake City really appreciates the extra business and I think it is good of us to spread our business around.

The box lunch thing would simply be too tough to orchestrate IMO and too much to expect of the organizers.

Lunch on the trail would not be bad as long as everyone knows beforehand that this is how it's gonna be . . . but relaxing for a bit in Lake City never hurt anyone, IMO.

I've never been comped lunch for leading the Alpine Loop . . . and I do not expect to be. :cheers:

·
Registered
789 Posts
This was my first summit and it was good. I only have a couple of suggestions.
1. try to speed up the food line maybe have 2 lines?
2. the raffle is awesome. I hate to see these guys win and then turn around and sell it not because its a bad item but they already have it. It can be a hassle to sell, box, and ship it out to another member if its a heavy item. Maybe each category can have a box. I would of bought a lot more tickets if it was categorized to where you put your chances in something you really/want need.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Comped lunch? Trail leader twice this year and did not hear about that???

Not going to every happen, but would love to see CB's mandatory.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Really not following your take on a suggestion... ? MAYbe just designate a BYOL run?
I think this might be a good way to go, that way it will also be easier to rounding everyone up and head out.The problem (as I see it) is getting people who want to do certain lunch plans on the same trails and times as I'm sure that it would not be a easily done thing with out a few people not getting to do what they wish.
I was going to opt out of doing the last leg of my Saturday run with orc14a as the leader (since I did it on Thursday as part of the Black Bear/Ophir/Black Bear Pass Detour Run) and was happy I stayed for the food and Ophir pass, and the place was really good in Lake City where we ate on Friday..... but I did have my grill and dogs ready to go if the group decided to do more of a picnic.
We are all adults and we do have the ability to break away from the group if we want, we should just let the trail leader know of it befor we do and let them know of a round about itinerary as give us a better way to find you if something happens to you (if you even want us to).

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
I have no complaints.....I'm gonna have fun no matter what. And that's what matters. If I feel the trail is going to take too long then I won't go or I'll just cut out early! And If I don't want to wait in line for food, I'll just go down town and eat at the Outlaw!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...Not going to every happen, but would love to see CB's mandatory.
Well, making CB radio mandatory for trail leaders and tail-gunners makes sense.

In light of the open nature of the event though, I don't think it's a good idea to make it mandatory for every participant.

After all, this is [essentially] not an event for serious off-roading, but for FJ Cruiser owners and enthusiasts to hang out together in Paradise for a weekend. :cheers:

Yes, having CB makes a huge difference, and more than likely, most people that go their first time without CB will have it by the next Summit, but still.....let that be up to them and their own internal/personal motivations, and not something else they have to spend money on and have installed and configured before they're allowed to attend or before they're allowed to drive over Imogene with a group of other FJ buddies (especially since, for many, this will be their only opportunity for years to even get here to this beautiful place).

I think this might be a good way to go, that way it will also be easier to rounding everyone up and head out.The problem (as I see it) is getting people who want to do certain lunch plans on the same trails and times as I'm sure that it would not be a easily done thing with out a few people not getting to do what they wish.
I was going to opt out of doing the last leg of my Saturday run with orc14a as the leader (since I did it on Thursday as part of the Black Bear/Ophir/Black Bear Pass Detour Run) and was happy I stayed for the food and Ophir pass, and the place was really good in Lake City where we ate on Friday..... but I did have my grill and dogs ready to go if the group decided to do more of a picnic.
We are all adults and we do have the ability to break away from the group if we want, we should just let the trail leader know of it befor we do and let them know of a round about itinerary as give us a better way to find you if something happens to you (if you even want us to).
Dude, I am so glad you decided to hang with us for the rest of the trip. :bigthumb: I had a great time out there with you, and look forward to more trails here on the East side whenever we get a chance.

You guys,
when the service took a long time at the restaurant in Telluride, SRTFJBUS volunteered to go back to the 'after lunch meeting place' to meet up with anyone else that we were supposed to be meeting up with but didn't go to the restaurant with us. So, big thanks to you, bro.

Next time, I will try to make sure to get phone numbers for anyone that's not going to the same place as I am for lunch so I can alert them to any delays and no one will have to leave the party.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The most important suggestion for next year is:

that I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
How about the coordinators starting a thread listing ways they need help so people can sign up for volunteer work. My wife and I helped with the FJ store and had a great time.

Thanks to everyone involved with making this years Summit a success.

Btw, are there any pictures of people who helped to maintain trails instead of doing a run? I'm thinking these folks are deserving of a little recognition for there contribution.
:clap:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Wednesday nite at the Trail leaders meeting it was announced that the Alpine loop trail leaders would be comped their meals. I am sure that is the only group that recieved that benefit.

Faster chow line one way or another, better sound equipment or more of it, and I think a little parental supervision is needed. I saw some things out of control on that swing, and was quite worried someone was going to get hurt. I think we were very lucky it did not happen.

Having a lunch box waiting at certain resturaunts is a good idea, but ensuring that they are picked up and not wasted is the real problem. The owner might try it once, but the first time he has a bunch left over that will end. They are trying to encourage business with the free trail leaders lunch. That is a step in the right direction. I have never done the loop just due to the time it takes.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Wednesday nite at the Trail leaders meeting it was announced that the Alpine loop trail leaders would be comped their meals. I am sure that is the only group that recieved that benefit.
:lol: That explains it. I didn't know I'd be leading the Thur 7:00 Alpine Loop until I was asked via text message at 11:00 Wed night while sitting in a bar with Raggler. I was happy to do it for my Summit friends . . . and the t-shirt. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Really not following your take on a suggestion... ? MAYbe just designate a BYOL run?
Its a long enough run / day as it is...
Leisure runs vs. Straight runs?
Anyway ..them theres my thoughts ..:)
I understand where you are coming from on this. I did the Alpine loop at the '09 summit (aka the "dust bowl" run) after sumitting Engineers pass the pace picked up quite considerably, well above the speed limit in alot of places and being towards the back of the group the dust was terrible. I had brought my own lunch and was done eating and even looked at the museum in about 30 minutes, the restaurant guys did not get done for almost another hour. So the BYOL people sat around wondering why we had to go so fast and eat a lot of dust just to wait around for the group to get going again. I haven't done the Alpine Loop again at the summit. I might consider doing it again if there was a designated BYOL run with a scheduled lunch break of about 30 minutes @ Lake City, that would make a long day a lot more tolerable IMO and maybe at a slightly slower pace so you can enjoy the scenery more.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I also suggest that if folks are in a hurry to speak up, trail leaders will usually cater to a request. I was sure to ask if everyone was ok on time, gave them options for stopping, and what not. Make sure to make your leader aware. Communication is golden.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
How about the coordinators starting a thread listing ways they need help so people can sign up for volunteer work. My wife and I helped with the FJ store and had a great time.

Thanks to everyone involved with making this years Summit a success.
I agree. They did have a section in the 'My Details' area on the official FJ Summit website that asked for volunteers. Also, they did send out an e-mail message with this specific list of needs more than a week before the Summit...

We need help with:
Registration
Selling gear at the FJ Store
Nightly Cleanup
Running the Raffle
Stuffing Bags before the Summit
and
Leading Trails

Still, having a web page (or thread on the forum) detailing the specific duties they need help with would be great. That way, people that want to help can check out what kinds of opportunities are available, and track what's been taken (if that info was included on said page).

...Btw, are there any pictures of people who helped to maintain trails instead of doing a run? I'm thinking these folks are deserving of a little recognition for there contribution.
:clap:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2011-fj-cruiser-summit/133097-2nd-annual-fj-summit-volunteer-trail-work-event.html

Wednesday nite at the Trail leaders meeting it was announced that the Alpine loop trail leaders would be comped their meals...
Ha ha, I bet that was right at the beginning....I was a few minutes late, and did not hear that. I think it's pretty smart of the local business to do something like that. It's totally not necessary, but kinda cool.

:lol: That explains it. I didn't know I'd be leading the Thur 7:00 Alpine Loop until I was asked via text message at 11:00 Wed night while sitting in a bar with Raggler. I was happy to do it for my Summit friends . . . and the t-shirt. :)
Ya, I don't volunteer for free lunches or even t-shirts, but just because I want to help out with something that I can do. Since they don't seem to need any IT help at the Summit, I guess my experience with this hobby and the Ouray area is something I can offer. Volunteer being the operative word here :bigthumb:

I understand where you are coming from on this. I did the Alpine loop at the '09 summit (aka the "dust bowl" run) after sumitting Engineers pass the pace picked up quite considerably, well above the speed limit in alot of places and being towards the back of the group the dust was terrible...
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience.

The part I want to highlight here though that could actually be dangerous (for others as well as those of us in the FJ Summit) and could lead to an extremely bad name for our group, is the speeding.

Every time I lead a trail run, I make it clear to those I'm leading that I will not go very fast (5 over at most if the road-type, conditions and circumstances even allow for that).

For one, we're not in a hurry (we're there to actually be there), and beyond that, it's just stupid.....it's not worth it. I know some folks might want to start calling me a ninny, but I'd always rather be a safe idiot than a sorry one. :thinkerg:

I also suggest that if folks are in a hurry to speak up, trail leaders will usually cater to a request. I was sure to ask if everyone was ok on time, gave them options for stopping, and what not...
If anyone is in a hurry, they should not be going on a trail run at the FJ Summit. Also, if they are speeding, I don't care what group they are with, they are dangerous to me, my family and friends, and are not welcome on the trails, regardless.

Clarification: Not saying that you're talking about speeding or being dangerous. For the record, Athena and Bill have always been the most kind, attentive, caring, courteous and of course, capable trail leaders I've been with. I was merely triggering on the words.....nothing to do with you guys, Athena.

...Make sure to make your leader aware. Communication is golden.
Absolutely! I totally agree. Anything not spoken is not known, and the leader deserves to know what everyone is thinking (I mean, to a degree). Honestly, we have even had people on these trail runs that share too much and some people get annoyed with them, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather hear it out so that I know what kind of group we're working with for the day.

Again, yes to communication. Thanks, Athena :bigthumb:

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
The only thing I will change is the amount of time I take off. I want more than a week, next year. Rafting fishing,exploring etc.
Amen on more time! Saturday, my 10-year-old son had an unfortunate incident in the back seat of the FJ (warning: do not mix movies on the iPad with rough trails) so we headed back down and went to town. He came up with the idea of exploring a MINE.... so we went and did the mine tour that was just outside of Ouray. It was SPECTACULAR! We went 1,800 feet into the mountain and the guide was way cool and answered a ton of questions about mining of the 1800's as well as current stuff. You could tell he used to be a miner.

He even entertained questions from my son. :big thumb:

All in all, I am taking a week next time and using the extra time to do some more exploring, maybe a day at the Hot Springs, etc. There is actually more to do in Ouray than wheel! (Yeah, I know--hard to believe!)

See you in '12! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Not even going to attempt to multi-quote anymore.

So we had a 2012 meeting already and things we already have discussed to fix are:

* Sound equipment - we've had a member PM me saying he is an audio engineer and he'd like to help us get the right equipment in and setup. Now for the life of me I can't think of who pm'd me, but I have it archived.

* Food lines - we'll talk to Ryan (bw owner) about that for next year. They were too long this year. They are long every year, but this year was the worst.

* Comp'd lunches - that was discussed in the trail leader's meeting Wednesday and Thursday night. It was one restaurant who offered it to us

Everything else. Most of this stuff can be fixed by speaking up to the trail leader you are with. We don't control them, so whether they listen or not is out of our control, but most trail leaders we have a good people who've been to multiple summits and will listen to most suggestions. Also, LET US KNOW if someone is doing something wrong on the trail. For the first year, we had some issues on the trails that I don't want to get into. Someone told us who was at fault, we spoke to them and told them they'd be asked to leave if anything else was reported about them.

My biggest gripe this year was the number of pictures I've seen of people not staying the trail. Director or not, if I'm a trail leader and see someone walking / driving off trail I talk to them. Most the time it is, "don't walk on the alpine please" and doesn't go further than that.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I'd luv to do some non-summit events next year as mentioned by others. Would be possible to get group buys on fishing, rafting etc. to help reduce cost. This would require firm commitments in time to plan the extra-curricular activities, but would also be a blast, especially for us Non-CO folks who loved the experience this year!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
If anyone is in a hurry, they should not be going on a trail run at the FJ Summit. Also, if they are speeding, I don't care what group they are with, they are dangerous to me, my family and friends, and are not welcome on the trails, regardless.

Clarification: Not saying that you're talking about speeding or being dangerous. For the record, Athena and Bill have always been the most kind, attentive, caring, courteous and of course, capable trail leaders I've been with. I was merely triggering on the words.....nothing to do with you guys, Athena.

Absolutely! I totally agree. Anything not spoken is not known, and the leader deserves to know what everyone is thinking (I mean, to a degree). Honestly, we have even had people on these trail runs that share too much and some people get annoyed with them, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather hear it out so that I know what kind of group we're working with for the day.

Again, yes to communication. Thanks, Athena :bigthumb:

One of our biggest goals as trail leaders is to show extreme trail etiquette with our group and with other people out on the trail. In the future those folks will be trail leaders and carry on the etiquette.

As for the comp'd lunches.. it's a shame that people even told the other's in their group. The lunches weren't comp'd because we brought a huge group to their restaurant but for the fact that we brought folks to their town. We did not feel comfortable asking for ours to be comp'd when we did eat there personally. You must also understand it's a very long day for the trail leaders as well, and well it's nice there was a bonus offered on the longest ran trail.

My biggest gripe this year was the number of pictures I've seen of people not staying the trail. Director or not, if I'm a trail leader and see someone walking / driving off trail I talk to them. Most the time it is, "don't walk on the alpine please" and doesn't go further than that.
Maybe it's just us Colorado folk.. but I have huge issues with this too.. I saw a lot of it..and bit my tongue. Thanks for bringing this up. STAY THE TRAIL. If you need to park don't pull off the trail.. keep going till there's a pull of :flame:

81 - 100 of 161 Posts