Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
That would be stellar :). If this can materialize I would definetly retrun in 2012 and hopefully with the new TRD supercharger for 2010 & later and bring my other daughter!
I think Athena said she was up to it, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. Sadly I'm better at coming up with ideas than I am at conducting and producing on them.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My online dissapointments, we switched groups midrun on the second day because our trail leader seemed to be racing up the mountain as in we were going 35 over rocks. My other one is the raffle needs to not be staged next year :rofl: The saying for the raffle this year was if you won once you won at least 3 times :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
For other activities, we have used these guys for rafting. They are in Ridgway.
Southwest Colorado Fly Fishing, Whitewater Rafting: Family Activities & Fly Shop

Also, Bill Burke is in the area. Maybe get a group together and get some training and run some non-Summit trails with him. Joe Bacal also does group activities. Probably could take people on other trails. We did some with Bill Burke when my horseback trip got cancelled. Just got to plan ahead with these guys.

Question. What is the Stony Pass trail? I didn't see anything about it on previous trips but now I am hearing more about it.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...For me, it's not just about tread lightly, it's about the fight that people across the country are going through to save their trails :cheers:
Saving trails is the ultimate goal, if they aren't open to ride on then off-roading is past history unless you own your own land. Here in Wisconsin it gets tuffer every year. Yeah we have great National Forrets you can ride in all day, but if the they become over regulated by the US Forrestry Service or the entrance tracts get bought & gated, we'll be cut off. If anyone wants to help then joining BRC or other local organizations that lobby for open trails is very important to our freedom!
This is not a disagreement, but merely another view of the same issue...
The only part that causes a red flag for me are the words, "Saving trails is the ultimate goal".
For some of us, this is not true, and I don't think it is an essential requirement for the sport of off-roading for this to be true (and trust me, I am also dedicated to saving the sport of off-roading; and I really, really appreciate all of the great places we have that are still open to doing that here in Colorado).

Yes, I care about keeping the trails open, and that does factor in (HUGE!). It's just that, I also care about the natural environment, and staying on the designated roadways with my motor vehicle is one small thing I can do to help (of course, just not being there at all would be ideal as far as the environment is concerned, but we're making a deal with IT to be allowed to go see the beauty up close and try as best as we can to take care of it, and/or to not ruin it ....or at least ruin it really slowly, before the next generation comes along to see it too).

I've been hanging out in and experiencing the beautiful outdoors of this country a lot longer than I've been into off-roading. Now that I can get to more places more quickly (cause I have a rig that can get me there), I like it! :) Both goals are important. They really can work in tandem, and neither needs to be 'the ultimate goal' as far as I'm concerned.

Not even saying there's even a disagreement here. I think, if we were to discuss it further, I'm pretty sure we're all in the same place...generally speaking. I just wanted to make sure the other point of view was stated out loud.

you're right, while up by the sign for Black Bear Pass I decided to move for other people to get a pic of their rig by the sign. I went up higher where their was a small rock ledge and then pulled off to the right where I noticed some tracks have already, before the top part where others had parked to get a closer view of the recovery. I went and snapped a pic and some point afterwards I just didn't feel right about where I was parked so I moved (although I had already helped in degrading it more) down lower to a better spot. My whole thinking before in moving away from the sign, other than to let people get a pic, was the thought that more people might be coming up the trail causing for a trial jam (although I really think traffic was less this year). For this I am very sorry and hope it helps more than the damage I did. And it certainly was not done just to get a better pic.
I can't tell from that view if that particular place is even a problem, SRTFJBUS, but you're a stand-up guy for putting this one out there. Can't wait to wheel with you again.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
For some of us, this is not true, and I don't think it is an essential requirement for the sport of off-roading for this to be true
You have the right to vote and the right not to vote.
A little conversation about the issues that go on due to tread lightly/trail etiquette can't hurt, can it? It may not inspire you, but it might inspire someone else.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
You have the right to vote and the right not to vote.
A little conversation about the issues that go on due to tread lightly/trail etiquette can't hurt, can it? It may not inspire you, but it might inspire someone else.
Um....ya, I thought that's what we were doing here....having a discussion.

I don't even get your point with this post.

Would you be willing to clarify what you mean?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
no, now I think you're trying to pick a fight on why some people have different "goals" :)

We're still talking about suggestions for next year right? :)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Three things:

First: Athena if you want to organize extra activities, shoot us an email or I'll forget.

Second: Tread lightly.

We had a new tread lightly rep this year (after having Justin there for 3 years) and she was still figuring out how involved to be. Next year we'll try to get her in all trail leader meetings. I don't think anyone from our group was bad, but there were a few unfortunate parking choices. In fact Justin emailed a couple of people about their pictures supposedly, so I guess he was watching in from Alaska.

Third: Woodsman, good idea on those trail leader cards. If anything, we can just put those things as suggestions at the bottom of the trail leader sheets we hand out each night.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Word.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Third: Woodsman, good idea on those trail leader cards. If anything, we can just put those things as suggestions at the bottom of the trail leader sheets we hand out each night.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Word.
Feel free to use those as a starting point. I like your idea of having them on the same sheet or on the back of the same sheet. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
no, now I think you're trying to pick a fight on why some people have different "goals" :)
Wow, you're crazy, lady.

I even said this,
"This is not a disagreement, but merely another view of the same issue... "

How is it that I'm the one picking a fight?!?!?!?

I was genuinely trying to partake in the CONVERSATION, and you're just making things up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I lead a Photo trail this year and one of the group kept stopping and getting out and walking though the tundra to take some pictures off the road. Some of the group was concerned about them walking in the tundra, so I asked a Ranger in Animus. He stated that they DO NOT have a problem walking on it. They do not want you driving on it though

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
I lead a Photo trail this year and one of the group kept stopping and getting out and walking though the tundra to take some pictures off the road. Some of the group was concerned about them walking in the tundra, so I asked a Ranger in Animus. He stated that they DO NOT have a problem walking on it. They do not want you driving on it though
That's probably true as I found this info in regards to ALPINE TUNDRA. I try stepping on rocky spots whenever possible. Alpine Tundra is not as delicate as crypobiotic soil.

Tundra Protection Areas. No walking off the trail is allowed in these areas. In other areas, walking on the tundra is permitted. But walk with care! Step lightly, without scuffing the surface. Step on rocks when you can. Spread out instead of walking in a single line.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
That's probably true as I found this info in regards to ALPINE TUNDRA. I try stepping on rocky spots whenever possible. Alpine Tundra is not as delicate as crypobiotic soil.

Tundra Protection Areas. No walking off the trail is allowed in these areas. In other areas, walking on the tundra is permitted. But walk with care! Step lightly, without scuffing the surface. Step on rocks when you can. Spread out instead of walking in a single line.
This ^^^ is generally the practice which I employ.

Example:
When we're at Como Lake after coming up Poughkeepsie Gulch, sometimes we'll line up the rigs in the parking area and walk up onto the hill on the opposite side of the road to snap pics of the glorious site.

When I do, I am always extremely careful to try to only go to a place where I can walk on rocks. If I find that I can't get to the place where I'd really like to take that perfect photo from on the general rock path I've picked out for myself, I generally tend to turn back and try to find a different route on the rocks through to where I want to get to.

Of coruse, as stated in Woodsie's quote, if there are signs telling us to stay off, I do not even to the rock stepping thing. See people doing it all the time up at RMNP and snap photos every time with the sign clearly visible where the people had to walk right past to go out onto the tundra. That's the kind of 'not walking on the tundra' that we're really concerned about here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
1.) Ty, Jared, Seth, volunteers, et al, GREAT FREAKIN’ JOB.
2.) We don’t need to “baja” through the trails, but we also should not be crawling through them. To some of the locals: How long does it take the locals to run Alpine Loop, Imogene, etc.?
3.) Trail leaders should be given maps of the trails that include bathroom stops.
We had some impromptu bathroom breaks only to find a bathroom shortly after and wound up making another stop. Also, a co-pilot to help navigate and spot the others through obstacles would be nice.
4.) Offer CB test/tune how-to’s/services.
5.) Magnetic numbers too expensive? WHITE SHOE POLISH!
6.) THE RAFFLE: DON’T HAVE IT ON SATURDAY NIGHT! Many wake up early Sunday for the drive back home and can’t afford to stay up to win that damn supercharger! Friday night would be cool.
7.) VENDORS: Bring your stuff, offer us a discount, & options to install! :clap: Also, offer Summit GB’s/ online discounts BEFORE we get there, like in June so we can prep for the trip.
8.) New trails. Some of the guys were talking about trails they did and weren’t mentioned on the trail list. I’d like some new scenery next year.
9.) I’D VOLUNTEER FOR TRAIL LEADER in 2012. I will do my best to implement 2, 3, 4 & 5 and keep my group ON THE TRAIL. :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I think Athena said she was up to it, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. Sadly I'm better at coming up with ideas than I am at conducting and producing on them.
sounds like we're the perfect team.. I do better at producing things :)

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I can't tell from that view if that particular place is even a problem, SRTFJBUS, but you're a stand-up guy for putting this one out there. Can't wait to wheel with you again.
Thanks:rocker: And I'm looking forward to doing so as well!! I just remember thinking about it up there and as much as I do not want to be embarrassed, I don't want to be a hypocrite...which leads 2.....

@ Athena, Well then the next questions are do we see if we can do a 2 day camping trip and who will sort all the ideas I have, it could be a 2 person job it's self....I never said all were good nor my focus..... :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
PM me and once we start getting agendas we can bring it up to the committee

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
1.) Ty, Jared, Seth, volunteers, et al, GREAT FREAKIN’ JOB.

x2x:clap:x:cheers:x:rocker:

4.) Offer CB test/tune how-to’s/services.

I agree but wouldn't want someone who just bought one to be turned away, I really think between planning and others who have extras we could pull it off. If everyone keeps a eye on the rig in front/back of them there should be no issue
5.) Magnetic numbers too expensive? WHITE SHOE POLISH!

so simple it just might work:bigthumb:

7.) VENDORS: Bring your stuff, offer us a discount, & options to install! :clap: Also, offer Summit GB’s/ online discounts BEFORE we get there, like in June so we can prep for the trip.

to know what/how much to bring is tough, maybe discounts for those who attended for a week or two afterwards.

8.) New trails. Some of the guys were talking about trails they did and weren’t mentioned on the trail list. I’d like some new scenery next year.

the problem there would most likely be permit getting, I think there was something said about another spot and I think that it would also be worth seeing if we could get a permit for a camp spot for those doing the trial to camp in a designated spot, those doing it would most likely pay more for the time and $ amount for getting the permit (if I'm talking like I don't know what I'm talking about...it's because I do not..)....it would be fun.

9.) X2
filled i above

121 - 140 of 161 Posts