Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I agree. They did have a section in the 'My Details' area on the official FJ Summit website that asked for volunteers. Also, they did send out an e-mail message with this specific list of needs more than a week before the Summit...

We need help with:
Registration
Selling gear at the FJ Store
Nightly Cleanup
Running the Raffle
Stuffing Bags before the Summit
and
Leading Trails

Still, having a web page (or thread on the forum) detailing the specific duties they need help with would be great. That way, people that want to help can check out what kinds of opportunities are available, and track what's been taken (if that info was included on said page).
I missed seeing the request for volunteers on the "my details" page. I did receive the email from Ty requesting help and that's how I signed up for FJ store duty. Having a sign up sheet would have probably coaxed me into contributing a couple more hours to stuffing bags or whatever else was needed. I arrive in Ouray on the 19th so I had time to share.

The workshops were great. Offroad 101 and Recovery 101 seemed well attended and were helpful. I didn't attend the HAM discussion but heard from others that it was equally helpful.

Here's some ideas for other possible workshops/activities.
1. CB tuning - as suggested by someone else. This was sorely needed in my opinion
2. Have a pre-summit vendor sale allowing people to buy (and pay for) gear that the vendors would bring to Ouray and install. I know the install aspect of this poses some issues (space, time, equipment, etc.) but with guaranteed sales ahead of the event the vendors would be able to plan appropriately and make some $$. Win-win.
3. Wilderness survival basics
4. First Aid basics (maybe have the American Red Cross facilitate for donations?)
5. Building a Survival Kit - based on the book by John McCann "Build the perfect survival kit". Maybe the author would present?
6. Tour the OMRT and FD facilities - another possible channel for donations

Again, great job by the organizers. I look forward to many more Summits. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I didn't attend the HAM discussion but heard from others that it was equally helpful.
Thanks; we put it together fairly quickly at the last minute; it could be a lot better next time with more prep (if still desired in coming years).

1. CB tuning - as suggested by someone else. This was sorely needed in my opinion
I spent something like a day and a half all total tuning and troubleshooting CB antennas at the Summit, so I agree there is both need and demand for this. The problem is, there are way more folks that need it than there is equipment and knowledgeable people to do it. In my experience, 90% of folks that have cb radios just install them and never have the antenna checked or tuned, and have no idea how horrible their SWR really is (for a variety of reasons). So the problem is, you would be swamped at any workshop that only lasts an hour or two, and only be able to do a fraction of the people that wanted/needed it. It could easily be a full-time service at most of the large 4WD events I have attended.

Maybe an idea for a service that a vendor could sponsor? I have never charged anyone to tune or check an antenna, but I want to run some trails too. :) If nothing else, a class or workshop could at least educate people on why they need to get their antenna checked and tuned, and the many things that can be an impediment to good radio performance in an FJC.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I missed seeing the request for volunteers on the "my details" page. I did receive the email from Ty requesting help and that's how I signed up for FJ store duty. Having a sign up sheet would have probably coaxed me into contributing a couple more hours to stuffing bags or whatever else was needed. I arrive in Ouray on the 19th so I had time to share.

The workshops were great. Offroad 101 and Recovery 101 seemed well attended and were helpful. I didn't attend the HAM discussion but heard from others that it was equally helpful.

2. Have a pre-summit vendor sale allowing people to buy (and pay for) gear that the vendors would bring to Ouray and install. I know the install aspect of this poses some issues (space, time, equipment, etc.) but with guaranteed sales ahead of the event the vendors would be able to plan appropriately and make some $$. Win-win.
3. Wilderness survival basics
4. First Aid basics (maybe have the American Red Cross facilitate for donations?)
5. Building a Survival Kit - based on the book by John McCann "Build the perfect survival kit". Maybe the author would present?
6. Tour the OMRT and FD facilities - another possible channel for donations

Again, great job by the organizers. I look forward to many more Summits. :cheers:
:rocker: A lot of great ideas WiJo.

Lee the Ham class was great IMO, thanks for all your volunteer time at the summit.

A couple things I would like to see:

1) At the tent/HQ it would be cool to have a map of the trails for people to look at, it could be put on something like a sandwich board type of thing and on the other side could be a place for people to post messages or the organizers can post summit info. We did something of this nature at the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and it was used by a lot of the attendees and is reusable year after year.

2) Cruise Moab does a pre CM overniter trip that is a total hoot and is getting popular enough that they added a 2nd overniter this year, is it possible to do this at the summit permit wise? I would volunteer to help out with this if it is.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
1) At the tent/HQ it would be cool to have a map of the trails for people to look at, it could be put on something like a sandwich board type of thing and on the other side could be a place for people to post messages or the organizers can post summit info. We did something of this nature at the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and it was used by a lot of the attendees and is reusable year after year.
There was a map of every trail in the FJSummit Guide that everyone received. The idea of a white board where people could organize night runs and leave messages was brought up before the summit and someone said they were going to bring one and put it up, but I don't know if that happened. I didn't see it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
This might seem menial or even unnecessary by some but one thing that would help the trail leaders is to have a little card or page of "talking points" to bring up at the trail meeting.

I was going to do this but then all my runs had leaders so I didn't bother. Of course, then the night before I volunteered to lead a run with no leader so I scribbled some down on a note card to cover at the meeting. Leaders are always scrambling to remember all the things and recite them to their crew but I never remember having a trail leader that covered them all or covered them in an organized fashion.

Just a quick rundown of a few I mentioned before leaving for the Alpine Loop:
*air down here so we can continue moving as soon as we hit the trail head
*drink lots of H2O
*use sunblock now, not after you feel a burn coming on
*CB channel
*verify that everyone has plenty of fuel
*mention that it's a long day, we'll eat lunch at Lake City, and be back to Ouray in time for dinner
*suggest airing up at the gas station in Silverton before driving back on the highway
*restroom breaks / photo stops
*traffic - lots of vehicles and four wheelers
*trail etiquette - Alpine Tundra
*check names on trail signup sheet and return to organizers
Actually there was a sheet handed out Wednesday with most of what you listed, but I guess you were not there as you were recruited at the last minute (sitting in a bar). BTW good to spend some time with you and your brother.

Ace

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My online dissapointments, we switched groups midrun on the second day because our trail leader seemed to be racing up the mountain as in we were going 35 over rocks. My other one is the raffle needs to not be staged next year :rofl: The saying for the raffle this year was if you won once you won at least 3 times :lol:
That has continued to be an issue and the reason is the tickets are not being distibuted in the plastic bin. I was watching the tickets on the outside were not moving despite lots of digging and shuffling. There is a real need for a proper raffle ticket rolling bin. You know, the kind were you crank it a few times then some cute kid draws a ticket. I wonder if one could not be borrowed from some orgnization in town, like an Elks club or the folks that raffle off the Jeep each year. If not, I would be willing to donate a few bucks to buy a drum if others would chip in too.

Ace

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
First my thanks to Ty and all the volunteers for a great job. I do have a few suggestions:

1. Ask a local restaurant or caterer if they would be willing to sell simple breakfast stuff at the tent so those hurrying to meet their trail group could grab a quick breakfast. If this would be an issue with the BW why not have all the trail rides start near the hot springs and sell there. Sure be easier on Ty not having to run to two locations to oversee the groups going out. At another event I go to I usually grab like 2 breakfast borritos and one goes in my cooler for lunch.

2. I like the idea of an overnight trip and too would help.

3. My hearing sucks, but with all the noisy kids behind the tent and the bad sound system I missed a lot.

4. This one will stir up some discussion... I own and love my dog but I really don't think it's proper to have dogs under the tent. Especillay during meals and during other times when it is crowded.

5. The tent would be a lot less crowded if the tables were eliminated. I am sure we all have been to other events where only chairs were used and eating off your lap is not all that difficult.

6. The raffle would go faster if there were two people drawing and calling out numbers alternitivly and have kids running the prizes to the winners and verrifying the tickets. Well, maybe not the heavy items.

7. This is a suggestion for everyone on the trails: when you stop shut your engine off. We all love to breath that pure Rocky Mtn air. Let's keep it pure.

Ace

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
That has continued to be an issue and the reason is the tickets are not being distibuted in the plastic bin. I was watching the tickets on the outside were not moving despite lots of digging and shuffling. There is a real need for a proper raffle ticket rolling bin. You know, the kind were you crank it a few times then some cute kid draws a ticket. I wonder if one could not be borrowed from some orgnization in town, like an Elks club or the folks that raffle off the Jeep each year. If not, I would be willing to donate a few bucks to buy a drum if others would chip in too.

Ace
We need to find out someway to replace the raffle with or add Bingo to the mix.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
First my thanks to Ty and all the volunteers for a great job. I do have a few suggestions:

1. Ask a local restaurant or caterer if they would be willing to sell simple breakfast stuff at the tent so those hurrying to meet their trail group could grab a quick breakfast. If this would be an issue with the BW why not have all the trail rides start near the hot springs and sell there. Sure be easier on Ty not having to run to two locations to oversee the groups going out. At another event I go to I usually grab like 2 breakfast borritos and one goes in my cooler for lunch.
This is an issue with the BW, and there is not even close to the amount of space we would need to stage everyone at the hot springs. Everyone knows their trail times and most have no problems managing to get breakfast before getting to their trail slot.

6. The raffle would go faster if there were two people drawing and calling out numbers alternitivly and have kids running the prizes to the winners and verrifying the tickets. Well, maybe not the heavy items.
We've tried this, and it is WAY WAY slower than the way we have it. Our raffle was around 2 hours, where it used to take 3.5 hours+. Most of our items are heavy items and it is easier for people to come up and get their stuff.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I am planning on making it for the week next year. I am sure that my wifes FJ will be tucked nicely in the garage but I will be out enjoying Colorado in my 4Runner. (Unless I have convinced her to trade vehicles wiht me by then):clap:

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I started reading this thread and after the 5th page decided to give my $0.02 as a newby to the summit.

AWESOME job putting it together! What would I change? Nothing! Can't please everyone.

When I registered for the summit, I signed up for my three trails. Thursday, I actually jumped on board the Alpine Loop group leaving 30 min early. Decided to break off coming down Cinnamon Pass. Everyone states that if you decide to break off, just tell your trail leader, so if you didn't like the 11 hour drive, that's not the trail leaders fault. Its clearly stated the trail is 55 miles and takes all day.

The rest of my trails, I ran unsanctioned and had a blast. Wasn't planning on returning next year, but seriously thinking about it for 2012 now.

Actually I do have one suggestion but it might be impossible. Only have one color raffle tickets. Dang white ticket!!! :rofl:

:cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
This year was my first summit, and it was amazing! I have no complaints and it was a fantastic experience. Will be returning next year. I even enjoyed the constant flow of Canadian jokes, all in fun. At least I think so, eh?:cheers:

I volunteered at registration for a shift and got insight into the amount of work that the organizers do -huge! What an amazing job. Saying thank-you for organizing the event does not seem adequate.

I came down on my own and met so many people, everyone was friendly. and helpful! I found I instantly had a crew of big brothers (and some sisters!) looking out for me - I punctured a tire somewhere on Imogene my first day and the amount of help and concern I recieved was staggering - thanks to all you know who you are!

I thouroughly enjoyed the huge, mapped, accessable and maintained recreational 4x4 areas in CO the MANY other states I drove through this summer. At home in BC, a lot of our wilderness is locked up, closed off and not mapped and rated in such detail. A healthy dose of - "wonder what's up here?" ... but that kind of day on the trail is fun in a different way :lol:

The only little thing that dissapointed me was not to do with summit itself, but with not being able to buy anything for my 2010 at the summit. I came assuming the FJ would return home a bit heavier! Although by next year I will have added most of what I want to, for other future shoppers I agree with the suggestions in this thread for vendors to bring more down if possible. I did tell the vendor reps I talked to that I would have bought if there had been stock on hand! I have already taken advantage of one offering a summit discount code. If someone is wondering, it may be worth an email or call to a vendor asking about that

Happy trails

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Not sure if this has come up already, but how about announcing the dates earlier, so people can make plans well in advance. July is prime holiday season, and I have to compete against a horde of my peers for the time off :(
I think 6 months in advance is pretty reasonable IMHO..

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Not sure if this has come up already, but how about announcing the dates earlier, so people can make plans well in advance. July is prime holiday season, and I have to compete against a horde of my peers for the time off :(
I think 6 months in advance is pretty reasonable IMHO..
I agree with Athena. The Summit has been around for five years now. Why not just speculate now based on past Summit dates and put in for that time? By late this year or early next you can adjust it if need be.

Since it was the third week of July this year (20th to the 23rd), I would guess the third week of July 2012 which is Wed 18th-Sat 21st.
Year 2012 Calendar – United States

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree! Volunteering gave me a GREAT insight into how much work goes into this event... But I really enjoyed it and will be actively trying to lend a bigger helping hand to next years event.

Maybe if the staff of the Summit had as many volunteers as they did having people making suggestions... we could have everything our little hearts desired!?!?

Not sayin'.. just sayin!

This year was my first summit, and it was amazing! I have no complaints and it was a fantastic experience. Will be returning next year. I even enjoyed the constant flow of Canadian jokes, all in fun. At least I think so, eh?:cheers:

I volunteered at registration for a shift and got insight into the amount of work that the organizers do -huge! What an amazing job. Saying thank-you for organizing the event does not seem adequate.

I came down on my own and met so many people, everyone was friendly. and helpful! I found I instantly had a crew of big brothers (and some sisters!) looking out for me - I punctured a tire somewhere on Imogene my first day and the amount of help and concern I recieved was staggering - thanks to all you know who you are!

I thoroughly enjoyed the huge, mapped, accessible and maintained recreational 4x4 areas in CO the MANY other states I drove through this summer. At home in BC, a lot of our wilderness is locked up, closed off and not mapped and rated in such detail. A healthy dose of - "wonder what's up here?" ... but that kind of day on the trail is fun in a different way :lol:

The only little thing that dissapointed me was not to do with summit itself, but with not being able to buy anything for my 2010 at the summit. I came assuming the FJ would return home a bit heavier! Although by next year I will have added most of what I want to, for other future shoppers I agree with the suggestions in this thread for vendors to bring more down if possible. I did tell the vendor reps I talked to that I would have bought if there had been stock on hand! I have already taken advantage of one offering a summit discount code. If someone is wondering, it may be worth an email or call to a vendor asking about that

Happy trails

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Here's an out of the box idea...

For all the beer lovers who attend the summit, how about a beer exchange. Those who participate contribute at least a 6er of local beer from their area to a pool...giving then the privelege to sample beers from the pool that others contribute.

I suppose it'd have to be off site from the BW so as not to break their rule of "no outside alcohol". Maybe someone could talk to a sponsor who can choose a local venue for a party and act as host to the beer exchange.

I know everytime I go to the local Whole Foods (a grocer for those not familiar with the chain) to peruse their vast selection, I'm perplexed at what to try next. There are so many options these days. Anyway, this could be a way for those who don't have access to craft beer from all across this great nation (and beyond?) to try something new. Plus I'm in favor of supporting local craft brewers and spreading the word is a damn fine worthwhile cause. :rocker:

I write this now as I'm enjoying a Inversion IPA by Deschutes Brewery in Bend OR.

Anybody else out there of the same mind?

141 - 160 of 161 Posts