Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dunlop tires on my 2007 FJ 4WD Cruiser are nearing the end of their life as I approach 60,000 miles.

I've been thoroughly pleased with the ride and performance of these tires and plan to buy the exact same tires provided they are readily available.

If they aren't are there others here who might suggest a suitable and equal alternative.

I'd say that 98% of my driving is on the interstate highway (between my home in the mountains and my retreat at the seashore) with occasional use in the snowy winters (getting from home to work) and some use on the beach (seeking out suitable places to surf).

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be willing to share.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I love my goodyear duratracs, unless i went to a strictly off road tire I will buy another set of 5 when time comes. I travel where there is 4 feet of snow (northern Ontario canada) and they perform great. off roading for what I do no complaints.

·
Registered
387 Posts
couple of pics I've posted before

Attachments

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm really surprised that you have had such a great expierience with the Dunlops!

I would have replaced the Dunlops as they have never lasted more than 20K...

I would make the move to upgrade to Toyo Open Country M/T...You will be surprised as to how quiet they are on the roadways.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
By the sounds of it you are looking for an AT (All Terrain) tire. Up in the Northeast I would have to say that the Nitto Terra Grappler would be the most popular. My personal fave would be the Toyo Open Country AT. Both have great on road manners and mild offroad tread.

I have very little experience with sand but wouldn't an AT tire have better flotation than a deep lug mud tire?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I suggest Revo's. I have rotated them about every 5,000-10,000 miles and I have right at 50,000 miles on them. I estimate I have about another 5,000miles to go before needing to replace them. They have done great both off-road and on pavement.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
I'm really surprised that you have had such a great expierience with the Dunlops!
I never had any problems with the Dunlops, IMO to many people hop on the "The Dunlops suck and you should replace them ASAP" bandwagen.

Have you looked at what Treadwright has to offer? There are quite a few of us here who are running them.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I never had any problems with the Dunlops, IMO to many people hop on the "The Dunlops suck and you should replace them ASAP" bandwagen.
For reason i harp on them, is because even with a locker front and rear and the stock tires, you would barely be able to do the trails around my parts with those tires. After the first obstacle your tires would become slicks, caked with mud.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
For reason i harp on them, is because even with a locker front and rear and the stock tires, you would barely be able to do the trails around my parts with those tires. After the first obstacle your tires would become slicks, caked with mud.
You are one of the few who speaks with real world expierience who can back up their dislike for the Dunlops.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You are one of the few who speaks with real world expierience who can back up their dislike for the Dunlops.
Sadly, even the BFG all terrains suck on the terrain around here.

Im not talking about mud riding. But on all of the trails here, even if it hasn't rained for a while, there are still muddy sections. Once the tires go through there, they will not clean and you now have slicks.

This is why i bought a set of swampers to run as trail tires.

On the types of terrain out west, i think the stock tires can hold their own better (minus their weak sidewalls and overall puncture resistance).

When i went out to Katemcy Rocks i was quite surprised at how well the stock tires did on some of the FJs there. This was my first time out on rocks.
On this type of terrain you don't need huge lugs and massive voids in the tread to get traction (for the most part).

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Look into the BFG highway tires that were a stock option. NOT the BFG Rugged Trail or AT... they are good on the road, but won't have the awesome road ride that the highway tire has. I test drove a FJC that had them and it had an amazing on-road ride. It sucked majorly in the mud, but don't get a mud tire unless you have a use for one.

You probably already know this, but you don't need a special tire for the beach. Highway tires work great there, so you might as well get something that is really good on the highway and ignore the fact that you drive on the beach.

Now, I don't know about the snow at all, so figure out how that factors in before you take my advice.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
...Im not talking about mud riding. But on all of the trails here, even if it hasn't rained for a while, there are still muddy sections. Once the tires go through there, they will not clean and you now have slicks...
Yup. And those small muddy spots are in the low places that you have to climb out of, so you really need some traction.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Dunlop tires on my 2007 FJ 4WD Cruiser are nearing the end of their life as I approach 60,000 miles.

I've been thoroughly pleased with the ride and performance of these tires and plan to buy the exact same tires provided they are readily available.

If they aren't are there others here who might suggest a suitable and equal alternative.

I'd say that 98% of my driving is on the interstate highway (between my home in the mountains and my retreat at the seashore) with occasional use in the snowy winters (getting from home to work) and some use on the beach (seeking out suitable places to surf).

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be willing to share.

My 2 cents:
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on both of my FJ's and they are terrific on and off road tires. They are the best of both worlds. One recommendation, get the LT or light truck tires as opposed to the (passenger car version). The tread is much deeper and there are more ply's.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I've had Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos (265/75R16) - yes I have the TRD 16 inch rims - and they have 48,900 miles on them. I am looking to replace, but Bridgestone decided not two reproduce this tire in the Load C class.

The way to tell is to look at the maximum allowable tire pressure. If it is rated for 50 psig, it is basically a Load C rated tire. A "C" rating is pseudo 6 ply side wall. The Bridgestone's no longer come that way. It is only 44 psig rated and now a pavement princess tire - IMO.

Therefore, I am seriously looking at the Firestone Destination AT. The website tirerack.com has a very good tire comparision program that rank tires by several key parameters.

Give it a look.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
The black rubber ones work good on my FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
"Dungflops" came off 1 week after i got my FJ, dangerous tires, IMHO. Replaced them with Nitto Terra Grapplers for summer road and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV for winter tires, will go with Mickey Thompsons probably for trail next summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still have the Dunlops on my '07 with 32K on them. However, I took them off this year for winter driving because they were going to get me killed. They still have some life left in them tread-wise, but they are getting a little hard, losing traction, and small dry-rot cracks are starting to form in the treads. I do plan to put them back on and try to get at least one more summer season out of them, but they tend to lose traction on wet roads so I have to be conscious of that. Also I believe that they are breaking down inside because some vibration that I used to have both at high and low speeds has gone away now that I'm using the General Grabber AT2s. The AT2 is a nice tire and I like them a lot, however for where I live they are not practical outside of winter driving and planned trail trips because they decrease gas mileage and are a little louder. I plan on buying General Grabber HTS as my highway/city driving tires. I'm told that they are nice tires tires but will not last long if you don't rotate them regularly. I do, so I think I will be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts