Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t been on in awhile, but with everything going on I’m getting outdoors more than ever. Finding the FJ can take me areas where not a lot of people are. But that’s also added to needing a few off road items, like a portable air compressor. So I figured I’d ask what people are using, or recommend. I’ve looked at a few charger/compressor combinations, that I honestly prefer the idea of. But I’m not certain they’d be very reliable for air down/air up at the beach. I’m concerned they might overheat and shut down halfway through all 4 tires. I’ve also looked at a few Viair models, seem to be more reliable. But it’s a lot more space to have both a charger/jumper and a separate air compressor. So looking to see what you guys are using.

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
ARB or Viair

I have the portable ARB and then upgraded to the hardwired twin ARB.... and use the portable for friends or whatever when we're on big group runs.
Back in the day I bought cheap compressors and they always ended up melted down.

Check out those smaller booster packs... that will save you room if you are currently using a big booster pack. MicroStart or Noco Genius or similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I decided to go hard mount with the ARB single cylinder (High Output model CKMA12) in the engine bay. Made a bracket (which is overkill on the plate thickness, but that is what i had lying around). It is a perfect spot for it if you don't have anything else there (such as a second battery) and doesn't take up any room inside the rig.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
This 5.65 cfm 12v compressor is fast, 40 minute duty cycle, takes 2 minutes to bring a 285 70-17 from 18psi to 42 psi.
Been using it for six years, still strong. $107 or $160 for Smitty built branding.

TuffStuff 5.65 Compressor

·
Registered
88 Posts
Viair 400H hard mounted in the engine bay. When I upgrade it will be an extreme outback extremeaire magnum.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Happy with the recently purchased ARB CKMP12 12V.

If you go portable a hard case is a must IMO otherwise you will go to use it and find your hose is leaking...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have been using this for 5 plus years. SmittyBilt 5.65 cfm. I mounted it and hard wired it and put regular air quick disconnects on it with a 25 ft coil hose. I use it a lot has been a good unit for the cost. it is under the ARB bag mounted. I built a aluminum rack over it.
DSC_0109 (2).JPG

Reactions: thane and ICChief

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,399 Posts
almost anything that DOES NOT plug into the 12v cigarette socket.. I'm going to be getting the ARB single in conjunction with my CO2 tank

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, having to air down is a newer thing for me personally. As the only other off-road vehicle I’ve owned was an Xterra that never saw off road use, lol. And the others were all sports cars or coupes. I was hoping to get by with an all in one, but my concern of it overheating filling all four tires seems validated. I’ll look more at the Viair, ARB and Smittybuilt standalone options. That custom bracket it really nice too. Thanks again,

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,399 Posts
I'm not saying it's smart but I've done lots of miles on 20'ish psi during long weekend wheeling/overland trips with no issues. just have to take turns slower. that's just my personal experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No
Here's what I use. Pumps quick. No problems so far. Also use the Smittybilt Tire Deflators.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts