Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I started to remove my roof rack last night and what should have been the easiest job has left me stranded half way done. After taking off 3 screws the 4th torx screw head is completely striped. I went and bought a screw extractor set and it just made it worse.

So do any of you have any tips to remove a striped screw, the top is basically domed inside now, or do you have any ideas of what kind of shop I could take it to that would be able to take it out?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not sure the size of the bolts, because I don't have a roof rack, but if the head of the bolt is big enough you can cut 2 sides with a die grinder to give you flat surfaces then use vise grips to get them off. I did this a few times on my old Wrangler to get stubborn bolts out.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Did you drill the bolt with the correct size bit before using the extractor? A good extractor should work just fine for that bolt.

You could also try using a Dremel tool to carefully cut a slot in the head that a large screwdriver would fit in. Those bolts have fairly wide heads as I recall.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the good sugestions, I'm going to go try messing with it some more with your ideas

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you drill the bolt with the correct size bit before using the extractor? A good extractor should work just fine for that bolt.

You could also try using a Dremel tool to carefully cut a slot in the head that a large screwdriver would fit in. Those bolts have fairly wide heads as I recall.
I think I used the correct size bit to drill first, but it is the first time I've used one of these extractor kits, i might not have done it right, but I figured its kind of idiot proof. I might have proved myself wrong!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pull one out just like it and get the drill bit that is the same size as the shank of the screw.
Then drill the head of the screw to the deapth of where the head meats the shank.
The head should come right off.
Remove the rest of the screws from the rack, lift rack off of vehicle.
The remaining portion of the screw can then be removed with vise grips etc.
Ive done this on other items, should work in this app as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After you drill the head if it isnt loose already (the head) remeove the drill bit from the drill motor and insert the other end of the bit in the hole you drilled and pop it sideways, should pop right out and proceed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for your help with this. Just an update, I ended up having to use the dremel and make a slotted top of the screw so I could use a wide flat head screwdriver to finally get these screws off. I ended up having to do it to all but one set of screws! crazy but I finally got the roof rack off and I am much happier now

·
Registered
179 Posts
thank you all for your help with this. Just an update, I ended up having to use the dremel and make a slotted top of the screw so I could use a wide flat head screwdriver to finally get these screws off. I ended up having to do it to all but one set of screws! crazy but I finally got the roof rack off and I am much happier now
Thanks for the info that might be my other option! I just started and my first bolt stripped on me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts