Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am hoping to get some advice or suggestions to help improve the ride in my '07 FJC 4x4 (bone stock). Let it be said... I have no issues or complaints with how it rides.. however my wife and I just finished up a 6hr return trip and she didn't fare so well. We live in Manitoba, Canada and our highways are to be considered the worst in the country.

I've never had any complaints about "car sickness" from my wife in any of our past/current vehicles (2008 RAV4 SPORT V6.. 2002 Nissan Sentra.. 1991 Chevy Blazer... 2005 Corolla (lowered with rims) <-that wasn't a fan favorite but never "car sick").

The issue i think is the undulating road surface. Lots of dips and humps, rolling and rocking. The ride is a little bouncy if I'm to be honest. The FJC is new to me as of a month ago. It has 38000 kilometers on the odometer. So I'm assuming that it's simply how the FJC rides (ie: shorter wheel base truck with a fairly stiff stock suspension).

Rolling on stock Dunlops on stock 17" alloys. I lowered the tire air pressure from 38 down to 32 at half way point with slight improvement.

I'm frustrated about this one.. I'm NOT getting rid of this truck.. so I need some solutions. I'm considering biting the bullet and getting an adjustable coil over suspension kit... a couple clicks to slow down the rebound and we're set. One more thing to keep in mind.. I have a RC 3" Series II lift with upgrade to RC Performance 2.2 shocks sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. <- I have a feeling that wont help the situation??

Any comments, suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Take her for a ride in a Buick. Get that bouncy all over the road ocean feeling, then she'll appreciate the ride of the FJ.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take her for a ride in a Buick. Get that bouncy all over the road ocean feeling, then she'll appreciate the ride of the FJ.
Haha.. no kidding.. there is a part of me that is hoping everyone advises me to tell her to suck it up..:boohoo:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hahahaha,worst roads in the country:mecry: You have'nt driven the roads out here have you:rofl: I can't really comment on the RC kit and my truck came with the Bilstien offroad package,but the kit that I have now( Toytec Ultimate with 5125 Bilsteins in the back ) has much less body roll,less nose dive on brakeing,and has a more truck like feel to it!

Maybe upgradeing is the way to go for you or perhaps trying the RC kit first and if it's not to your likeing you can always resell it and put the money towards a better kit!

The install will take you perhaps an afternoon for the one you have now(RC) depending on your skill level! Drive it for a couple of weeks,if you don't like it do some some research here and pick a kit that you feel suits your neeeds/budget and resell your takeoffs to cut down on the costs!

Hope this helps a little and perhaps someone will give you some info on the RC kit before you decide one way or the other!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Gravol.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you should invest in some wheel spacers and a toyotec or icon coilovers maybe a bigger/wider tire aswell
I was wondering about spacers... the whole increasing mechanical leverage on the suspension compression thusly simulating a softer spring/ride. I like that idea.. not to mention a wider stance and increased stability from spacers and a wider tire. When I burn off these stock Dunlops I'm definitely going 285/70/17.

LOL

Ohhh that's some funny sh*t.. the real bonus there is that if the dosage is high enough I won't have to listen to her complain either. :rofl:

·
Registered
947 Posts
on the "cheaper" side: maybe try replacing your struts with regular OEM or cheapo ones.

On the more expensive: you could invest in 16" rims with street tires.

Adjustable shocks be real nice, but I dont know how the valving is setup... should have enough room to make a real cushy ride but on the sporty cars I once setup, everything was kidney pounder to ball breaker!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts