Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im keen to get some feed back of owners of FJ's that use it as a family vehicle.i'd like to know what your thoughts are of the rear access and seating ,
i have a 3 year old and looking to have another kid soon and id be using the fj as our main car for outings and every day use,its seems to me as the fj is probably one of the best value 4x4s on the market atm.i'd hate to buy one then find it too impractical on a daily basis.(although i don't think this will stop me getting one).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
That didn't stop me, either. My 11 and 5 year olds love it. It takes a little getting used to the rear doors, but after a few seatbelt chokings by the kids hopping out earlier than I could unbuckle, they get used to it. Infant seats may pose a different issue, but like anything parental, you adjust for the sake of having something YOU want. Ha.

·
Registered
369 Posts
parking lots suck if you park between vehicles - trying to navigate the front and back doors while buckling or unbuckling a toddler in a car seat stinks. I park far away where nobody else parks (also less chance some douche-nozzle is going to scratch with a shopping cart or keys or back into me).
It takes practice to achieve the correct angle to get the toddler into the seat without banging his head on the door opening. I do like that the kids can't open the back doors without the front ones being open though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 1 year old and like the others said, after you get used to getting them in and out is all good.

Also parking lots are a pita, but like they said, park far and you won't have to worry about dings either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so in a general parking situation is normal entry and exit an issues?, mine are 10 and 8 and when i test drove it i parked it in the car park at the dealer and didn't seem to have a problem.. maybe the car spaces there are thinner than ours here in AU

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Before I moved, I hauled my God Daughter around (birth to 1 year old). Her mom had no problem putting the car seat in the back by herself(5'4").

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
It's all relative. I bet I could find a way to get a car seat in a Ferrari. That said, the biggest complaint from anyone in family is my wife, who claims it's too rough (probably due to 3" procomp lift), so to accommodate her, I'll soon be investing in a full suspension system that'll allow for 50mph speed bumps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had my FJ two years and my 7 & 8 year old love it nearly as much as I do!
We use a booster in the back for both of them which not only makes things safer for them, but they get to see everything outside as well:rofl:.
My kids have just hit the age where they need to duck slightly on entrance/egress, but can still stand upright in the back....not for long I'm sure.
Biggest issue is probably not being able to easily open the front door/rear door combination to allow them to get out without going round the car myself. My son can just reach around and open the front door now and then let himself out the back door so I don't have to stand in the rain letting them out. Life is sweet:rocker:.

There may come a time when it seems unpractical, but I may just drink a beer and continue my love affair with the car regardless:cheers:.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, I have an almost 4 year old and a one year old. My boys love it. We don't have any issues and actually think you have better access to the kids than our Prado with the centre pillar. It helps that my young bloke just loves cruising in dad's monster truck FJ !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts