Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Todd and others. Well it turns out that 3 4Runners that I know of have had the EXACT same failure as you. The folks on the Toyota120.com have started making / buying a fix.

Passenger front diff bracket - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

Kurtfab diff bracket - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

Oh and in all the failures, it resulted in oil pan destruction and CV failure. So Todd, you aren't alone!

Hey Jared,
As you know, My034runner was the first documented for the passenger side front differential support bracket #2 failure. It included the big hole in the oil pan. I got lucky though, and didn't have my CV disintegrate!! :rocker:

Second was Ed (Vegas Runner) on our 2nd Annual Toyota120 Mojave Road Trip last September. Third was Mark (Expat) on Fins n Things at Moab in April.
Both Ed and Mark lost their CV's as well as a hole in the oil pans, although the oil pans were patched up, and once the CV's were fixed, they drove home. :clap:
So, Todd's is the fourth (4th) known Diff bracket #2 failure. :mecry:

TOYOTA!!!! PLEASE DESIGN A BETTER BRACKET!! :wave:

·
Registered
171 Posts
You FJ guys and gals really want to upgrade this item - its a timebomb!

Bruce axle bracket - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

and how do i know...because of this....first the incredible help I recieved as the events unfolded Utah 2008 Rescue (resolved) - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

and a wrap-up of the trip to Utah Moab Utah 2008 - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

4x4 people are the best, regardless of your vehicle type (although we know Toyota owners are the best!)

Seriously guys and gals, get your brackets reinforced asap.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yet another reason to get a 4X2 :D :D

Can this be considered "stirring the pot?" :D :lol: :lol:
Yes.......stop hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thefinger: :pimp::jester::lol::rofl:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Honestly though - I hardly ever go into 4WD and I think a locked 4 X 2 is pretty much as good as an unlocked 4 X 4. Plus there is probably a 200lb. weight difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Honestly though - I hardly ever go into 4WD and I think a locked 4 X 2 is pretty much as good as an unlocked 4 X 4. Plus there is probably a 200lb. weight difference.

Maybe, if all you're doing is dirt roads, fire roads, etc........

But, I haven't seen a 4x2 that can do what a 4x4 can do, especially when you're up in the rocks, locked or unlocked. :bandit:
My 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You FJ guys and gals really want to upgrade this item - its a timebomb!

Bruce axle bracket - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

and how do i know...because of this....first the incredible help I recieved as the events unfolded Utah 2008 Rescue (resolved) - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

and a wrap-up of the trip to Utah Moab Utah 2008 - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

4x4 people are the best, regardless of your vehicle type (although we know Toyota owners are the best!)

Seriously guys and gals, get your brackets reinforced asap.

Cheers
Mark
Did Bruce paint it white or was that your idea :lol: Plating the brackets is pretty easy to do and adds a ton of strength to them. I've done 7 of them so far and I would recommend anyone with a fjc/05+tacoma/4th gen 4runner that offroads to get it done.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Kurt I registered at Toyota120 just to PM you. I think you should be selling these for FJs because the stock part is such a piece of iron crap. You'll sell a zillion.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did Bruce paint it white or was that your idea :lol: Plating the brackets is pretty easy to do and adds a ton of strength to them. I've done 7 of them so far and I would recommend anyone with a fjc/05+tacoma/4th gen 4runner that offroads to get it done.

Come on Kurt.....you know Mark just can't wait to paint everything on his 4Runner White!!!!! If he didn't, it would throw his whole "Casper" thing off!!! :rocker::rofl::jester:

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
So glad I found this!! I recently had my upper oil pan punctured because of the same thing! My diff bracket had those same bolts missing so it had enough play in it that while off-roading the front diff shifted upwards and punctured the oil pan. Not nearly as bad as yours was damaged but knowing that it can be removed through the bottom of the FJ is such a relief since I was totally dreading having to possibly deal with removing the whole engine. Also I heard someone mention that welding the pan was a possibility and after seeing that you could do this and yours was a lot worse I am hopeful that that is something I can do!!

:bigthumb:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts