Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I wouldn't have won the "Iron Butt" award for the furthest traveled (a few made it from FL, NY and Canada), I did end up literally doubling the existing mileage on my odometer getting myself to the FJ Summit from southeast Georgia and back.

After packing the FJ to the brim for 3 1/2 weeks of travel, I left my house in Brunswick, GA and headed to Colorado via I-70. (My return home route was via I-40.) Thanks to satellite radio, a couple of good CD audio books and one very comfortably-riding truck, this was the best cross-country driving journey I've ever taken in my 55 years. My roundtrip trek took me through Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

Departed: July 6th

Returned: July 27th

Total travel time: 21 days

Typical cross-country hours driven per day: 9-10

Typical highway speed: 80-85mph

Total mileage: 5741 miles

Equipped FJ: Lots of weight (285 AT tires, 3" lift, winch & bumper, full-length storage box system, hi-lift, recovery gear, camping gear, tools, spare parts, luggage, guitar, 3 weeks of clothes, etc.).

Average highway mileage with a fully-ladened FJ: @ 18.5 mpg

Impressions of the FJ Cruiser on a VERY long trip:

The FJ handled flawlessly, incurring zero mechanical problems during the entire trip. (The only souvenirs on the truck was a small chip in the window where it met a piece of gravel somewhere between Prescott and Phoenix, and some slight chipping of black paint on my painted bezel.)

Other than who knows how much total gas, the only other fluid needed during the entire trip was topping off the windshield washer canister in Oklahoma. Otherwise, no engine oil or ATF needed along the way.

The FJ's battery never let me down. All electricals worked without failure. The A/C remained cold even in the hottest parts of the country in the middle of July. Not even a tinge of over-heating at any time. No tire problems (or leakage). Everything on the FJ worked PERFECTLY!!

Handling wise, the FJ tracked true down the road, even over some of the not-so-greatest roadways in the country. No wandering, no shimmy, no bouncing.

Being 6'4" tall, weighing 250 pounds and sporting a bad lower back, I was concerned I'd be experiencing some travel discomfort along the way on such a long trip. Especially with the heavy/heavy OME suspension on board.

However, such was not the case. I was able to get 200-250 continuous miles at a time under my belt between stretch breaks, yet not have to crawl out of the FJ looking like a mangled pretzel.

Bottom line is, the FJ Cruiser to me is not only one of the best off-road capable trucks I've ever owned, but it's also one of the most comfortable long-journey highway vehicles I've ever driven.

Sure, it was great to finally get home after a trip like that. But, if I could've gassed up and re-loaded the truck to immediately do it all again the very next day, I would have!!

Combining the reliability and comfort of the FJ, along with the fantastic trip, the fun of driving it and most of all, meeting everyone who could make it to the Summit, made this the journey of a lifetime!!!!!!!!

My thanks once again goes out to all of those who made this year's FJ Summit not only possible, but the absolute best 4x4 event I've ever attended. And, just as much appreciation to all of my fellow Forum members who reminded me that we're not just good friends . . . . . we're family. :) :) :)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
That's a nice trip report and one hell of a list of states you drove through. It reminds me of that song "I've been everywhere!"

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice write up Steve, I'm looking forward to next years so we can go have another beer in Silverton @ the Brewery :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Couldn't have said it better. I only did 4500+ miles with 4 seats filled, 4 bikes on top and all our "stuff". I didn't get the same mileage as you did (~13.5 there, 16.8 back) but couldn't agree more on what a great vehicle the FJ is. Being able to put that kind of miles in relative comfort, drive the trails we did and drive back home without issues, don't think there are many vehicles that can match it. I couldn't be more pleased with mine and don't regret one bit any of the mods I have put on it.

Every time I walk up to it in a parking lot, I say to my family "I wonder who owns that cool truck"...

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Well done & well said.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah, isn't I-70 through Kansas just spectacular? I'll bet it was the highlight of the trip!

I agree with others that your write-up was excellent. However, the part I identified most from the report was your statement "But, if I could've gassed up and re-loaded the truck to immediately do it all again the very next day, I would have!!"

I felt the same way. I have bragged about the Summit to friends and co-workers, until now I think they are avoiding me. Everytimes I think about those four days in Ouray, and this certain kind of smile comes over my face. As soon as dates are posted, I'll make my reservations for next year. Simply awesome place to go, fantastically organized event, and great people.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,
Where did you go in AZ?
Starting at 4 Corners, we worked our way over to the South Rim of the Canyon, then Flagstaff, then Prescott (to spend some time with my parents), and then Phoenix area (Tempe / Auwatukee mostly) area for about 4-5 days.

BTW, Scottsdale is my home town (graduated from Coronado and got kicked out of ASU numerous times). What part of AZ are you in, andy??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Starting at 4 Corners, we worked our way over to the South Rim of the Canyon, then Flagstaff, then Prescott (to spend some time with my parents), and then Phoenix area (Tempe / Auwatukee mostly) area for about 4-5 days.

BTW, Scottsdale is my home town (graduated from Coronado and got kicked out of ASU numerous times). What part of AZ are you in, andy??
Shoot, I wish I would have known, I am in the Valley in Chandler.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
There's something to be said about the FJC, that's for sure. Are you positive you weren't laying on 'the box' with some mod you created for driving to pull this off?

Great writeup Steve, and I'm hoping to have a chance to meet up with you at next year's summit. Now if you can come up with a mod that allows me to bring my truck on the plane with me......

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve:
Nice drive you did across 15 states. Please post up some photos of your cross-continental adventure.
Thong
Hey Thong,

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the journey itself. (I guess I was too intent on getting from one location to another.)

However, you must have some great shots by now. How's your adventure coming along??

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you positive you weren't laying on 'the box' with some mod you created for driving to pull this off?
If I could've slept on "the Box" through Kansas on I-70, I certainly would've. (No offense, LawDog. :) )

I'm hoping to have a chance to meet up with you at next year's summit. Now if you can come up with a mod that allows me to bring my truck on the plane with me......
I betcha one of the rental car agencies will be renting FJ's by then. (Just don't tell 'em what you're going to be using it for . . . . and definitely take out that extra comprehensive insurance. :) )

In either case, I'm looking forward to meeting you, too. So, get there so how!!

·
Wanderlust
4,154 Posts
Hey Thong,

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the journey itself. (I guess I was too intent on getting from one location to another.)

However, you must have some great shots by now. How's your adventure coming along??
I'm having a great time on this trip and feel so fortunate that I can do it now. Please take a look at the pics under the trail reports section.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts