Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, :wave:

I am planning on attending the 2011 summit in july, If I can convince my dad that it is safe to attend without him. I have a few questions that others may want answered too. My dad wants too make sure everyone is going to be really nice, and that my mom will be safe.

Is it a good trip for families ?

Any females there for my mom to socialize with ?

Is everyone well behaved ?

Is it safe enough for me to be with my mom, and not have my dad worrying about her ?

Please let me know how it is, hopefully I can convince my dad to let my mom and I go. :bigthumb:

thanks,
Bailey J.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have not been to one yet (am planning on going this year).
Im about 100% sure there will be plenty of guys' girlfriends for your mother to converse with also there are many females with FJ's that would to chit chat. It is a family event, so there will be children there as well. Most people are presumed to be well behaved and mature, tho there will be the select drunks like at any Event held in the summer time. its Ouray colorado so the weather is always nice (snow or rain or shine). I would tell your father he has nothing to worry about... or that he should join you. It will be good.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
All trails are easily done with a stock FJ other than poughkeepsie.

No real danger on any of them. If you can drive down a two lane highway you can drive every single trail at the Summit.

Lots of ladies and some very good lady drivers attend. The place is beyond beautiful and the locals are extremely friendly.

I have been to all of them and would never miss one. You and your mother will have a ball.

I have lead trails every year of the Summit, you are more than welcome to come with us on any run, I promise you a great time for you and your mother. No problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for asking 07! I'm betting a bunch of first-timers (like myself) were wondering the same. I'm definitely going to be there, I've just got to convince the old lady that its safe for both her and the kiddo.

One thing that I'm unclear on is how the event actually works. Do you arrive at a campground/hotel and get settled, then meet up at designated points, run the trails, then head back to camp, or is it more of an expedition?

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Never been to one. But I am on the forum a lot, and from what I know of the general caliber of people on here, I would say it's very family oriented. Well maybe not geared towards families, but families are more than welcome. I look at it this way, FJ's are used now and coming down in price, but generally speaking you're still talking about a $20 to $35k vehicle that most put money into mods. These are not low life thugs. These are respectable human beings who work for a living. I highly doubt they will be an uncontrollable mob out there. There maybe 1 person out of 100 who will be a drunken idiot. And if that happens, I'm sure he will be put in his place (verbally not physically) or he'll be easily avoidable. I would also assume there will be plenty of ladies there. I bet both of you will have a really good time. I don't know how your relationship is with your mom, but might I suggest don't leave her to mingle with the ladies all the time. Use the trip as a good bonding experience with her. If she has a good enough time, with you, I bet she'll want to go every year and make a family tradition out of it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This one will be our 4th Summit and it is very family oriented. The town itself is also that way, most people walk the streets instead of driving. My wife and Mother in law both LOVE it, the in laws actually bought a FJ after riding with us last year and are doing the trip again this year. The whole thing is a blast and there are lots of things to do.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
We did the summit a few years ago and I would say that it is very family oriented. The staff made sure that there were packets for all of the kids...stickers, back packs etc. Overall, the event is very safe...OK, there is the slight possibility of getting eaten by a bear when walking home:lol:

A lot of the kids seemed to gang together and play at the playground by the hotel. The people who brought dogs kept them under good control and they were all pretty friendly.

I don't recall any of the restaurants having any restrictions considering children

Of course, there will be some dilrods who drink too much and make a ruckus at the hotel but other than that it was pretty uneventful.

The trail runs start pretty early in the morning and other than scary drop offs should be able to done by about anyone. The dinners were good. When we were there, there were some long waits for registration and people complained (but people always complain...right:)).

We have tentative plans to go back this year...more so as a vacation than business. Hopefully, I can have my FJ40 done by then :bigthumb:

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
One thing that I'm unclear on is how the event actually works. Do you arrive at a campground/hotel and get settled, then meet up at designated points, run the trails, then head back to camp, or is it more of an expedition?

:cheers:
You can stay at a hotel, campground or whatever. Most sign up for group runs and the group will meet up at a designated spot at a designated time in the morning. The rides typically last untill mid to late day. None of the trail runs are expedition style where you set up camp.

It is very organized. All you need to do is register and show up at the Best Western for event check in. All your questions can and will be answered there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Even in the past the Summit team has had a raffle for all the kids showing up and for some weird reason EVERY kid that has been registered wins a raffle prize, Might have to join their raffle instead of the big one on Saturday night...... although I have won on that one as well

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the information everyone, sounds like a great time! Now I've just got to convince my old lady that driving around mountains is something she just *has* to do ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's a family event.

Come on out and Bring your Mom.

enjoy and have fun!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
We make it a three generation event myself, my father, my 10 year old daughter and her cousin. Very family friendly.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do you have to be invited or can you just show up? I just purchased my fj and thought this would be a cool thing to go to for fun. I used to live really close to Ouray in Westcliffe CO but moved back to denver.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have to be invited or can you just show up? I just purchased my fj and thought this would be a cool thing to go to for fun. I used to live really close to Ouray in Westcliffe CO but moved back to denver.
I think it would be best if you were to sign up. Then you can participate in all the activities/raffles/trail runs/ etc.
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the rangers might get mad if the summit says 200 rigs will show up, and 300 end up coming. I recommend signing up, so you don't risk getting in any trouble

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I think it would be best if you were to sign up. Then you can participate in all the activities/raffles/trail runs/ etc.
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the rangers might get mad if the summit says 200 rigs will show up, and 300 end up coming. I recommend signing up, so you don't risk getting in any trouble
How do you sign up? I wouldnt want to cause any problems for the park rangers they have a tough enough job

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do you sign up? I wouldnt want to cause any problems for the park rangers they have a tough enough job
I think registration will be late this February. They haven't announced the dates for registration yet.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Your Mom and I could hang out! I might be able to put her to work to..... have her pm me ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts