Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be arriving in Ouray on Sunday (7/13) before the Summit and I am planning on running Imogene on Monday (7/14) and Ophir on Tuesday (7/15) since I registered for other runs during the Summit. Wednesday I was planning on spending some time in Ouray and meeting other early arrivers.

My understanding is that these are two of the easiest trails in the area and mostly gravel roads. They are rated 2-2 and 2-3 (on a scale of 1 to 10) at TrailDamage.com:

TrailDamage.com - Imogene Pass

TrailDamage.com - Ophir Pass

Anyone going to be there early and want to join up?

·
fka fatbrat40
2,489 Posts
Both are easy enough to do one right after the other in one day..do Ophir first
drive down into Telluride and go over Imogene and end up in Ouray..just info for ya:)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
That's good advice. Ophir only takes a little more than 30 minutes from highway to highway, and it's very easy; so using it to get to or to get back from Telluride is about all you'll want to do it for. Another thing to consider is they're having a great snow year up there, so some of the passes may not be open yet during the Summit (Imogene, Black Bear, etc.)

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Send me a message (if you want to) when it gets closer and I will give you a snowpack update-I can't imagine that they would still be snowed-in come July, but crazier things have happened!!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
They barely (and by barely I mean the day before the Summit) got Black Bear opened last year; and I've been told that last year (at least to this point in the calender) wasn't nearly as good as this year has been (snow-wise). I'm just cautioning anyone who assumes everything will be open. Hopefully it'll be a non-issue.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I'm hoping it'll be a non-issue too - the town takes good care of us, so hopefully they can break through the snow should there be a lot up there...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well I'll have to play it by ear then. Worst case, I sit around town and welcome the incoming crowd :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm thinking of a pre-run over Stony Pass, which is Howardsville (east of Silverton) to Creede. I've never been to Creede and will probably have lunch there. This is a long run and there isn't a quick return on the black top, so I'll probably come back over Stony Pass from Creede. Things look different when travelling from the opposite direction anyway. The trail take you over the headwaters to the Rio Grande River.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They were under a blizzard warning yesterday and today. Expecting up to another 2 feet. WOW!!

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
If the Colorado FJ'ers would do a recon or make a couple of phone calls a few days before the Summit, it might be helpful.

I plan to arrive early but didn't plan to pack snow chains in my kit. This may cause me to revise my thinking.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
If the Colorado FJ'ers would do a recon or make a couple of phone calls a few days before the Summit, it might be helpful.

I plan to arrive early but didn't plan to pack snow chains in my kit. This may cause me to revise my thinking.
You, sir, seem to have everything else in your expedition FJ. Don't let a few chains be an issue. Pack 'em !

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Ok, well I'll have to play it by ear then. Worst case, I sit around town and welcome the incoming crowd :)
I'll consider this depending on Moab before or Moab after and whether my workload is very heavy in July.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts