Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on an overnight camping trip this past weekend to the Lucin Sun Tunnels here in the West desert of Utah.

It was a customer appreciation trip put together by Kurt at CruiserOutfitters. Albeit cold at times the campfire, company, and libations kept everyone in good spirits.

Went to bed with some snow on the ground and just a few flakes falling....waking up in the morning and everything had a fresh blanket of snow.

My cozy set-up...and my new Camp-Chef Denali Christmas present I got myself. :bigthumb:

The Sun Tunnels(sans the Sun). Catching the falling snow in the pictures was something I didn't expect, but turned out pretty cool.

From the Sun Tunnels we drove to the North around the Great Salt Lake via the old Trans-Continental Railroad. Stopping at the old RR ghost towns of Terrace, Lucin, and Kelton. Finally ending up just outside of the Golden Spike RR museum. Lots of pucker moments when your flying down a snow covered RR grade with 10 foot drops on either side of you. The drifting around corners were a blast, with only a couple occasions where going through the sagebrush to save yourself was needed. :rocker:

...and Woodsy...it is amazing something so big and mighty is so silent when it flies....

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hey Devin ~ Great pics! The owl looks hunkered down for the cold.

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap: Never knew about the sun tunnels, will have to go there the next time I head over to Great Basin NP. Camping in the snow looks interesting, alittle cold, but interesting.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pix! Were the "tunnels" part of the great pumping operation>
No the tunnels are actually an Art installment, here is a link to the information about them. Sun Tunnels

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Kurt is a cool guy; I bought my ARB locker and some other stuff for my 40 from him.
Yeah, Kurt definitely knows his stuff. I always recommend him(CruiserOutfitters) to anyone that needs something for their Toyota.

Hey Devin ~ Great pics! The owl looks hunkered down for the cold.
It was down on the ground in the snow doing something before we startled it and it took roost in the trees.

:clap: Never knew about the sun tunnels, will have to go there the next time I head over to Great Basin NP. Camping in the snow looks interesting, alittle cold, but interesting.
The tunnels are about 40 miles to the NE of Wendover, Nevada. Sun Tunnels That was my first time in a long while Winter camping. It was very fun, just dress for the conditions, have a good sleeping bag, and plenty of firewood. Oh yeah, the silence that comes along with the camping in the desert when it is snowing is very calming to say the least.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Devin,
Looks like a bit of snow...must have some in Heber too (IIRC)!!
Too cold for me to be out camping though
Kurt always organizes great outings...

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Very cool. Last time I went winter camping as a scout we went UNPREPARED and I ended up with a very high fever and was in bed for about 2 weeks straight.

I'm going to have to hit Kurt up this summer for a few things.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Colin, snowed for almost 4 days straight...some areas higher up got +/- 7 ft. of snow!!

Brett, that is what made this so fun is that everyone was prepared, if not over prepared for this outing. Yeah, you should talk to Kurt, he has been getting a few new things in his inventory(The Trasharoo and the new ARB camping chair(very nice))

Here is a cool panorama pic that one of the guys with us took....click on it to get the full effect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts