Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pancho said:
Nice work smartdog, but Webasto has already beat you too it. No concept phase required. Here's one of their commercial products already available that's got two sheets of glass and a big ass opening, large enough to mount a turret or eject unwanted rear seat passengers if they don't agree with your political opinions. Sorry to use a photo of the Element but it has a ribbed roof similar to the FJC, which might be an issue for some installaters.

I've found an installer here in Houston through Webasto's website. They've been around a while and are interested in looking at the FJC. I'm just not sure yet if I want a big ass hole cut into my new FJC roof. Maybe.

Thanks Pancho!

In my original pic, I was thinking having the sections removeable, period. That way you can remove one or both - no motors or electrics. However I am liking the accordian design. I hear ya about cutting a hole in the roof. :eek:

I am thinking that some structural reinforecement would have to be done in order to get it as big as I have it in my pic or with the Mercedes roof. (I am really diggin that roof...)

Softtop? Hmmm.... :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pancho said:
Nice work smartdog, but Webasto has already beat you too it. No concept phase required. Here's one of their commercial products already available that's got two sheets of glass and a big ass opening, large enough to mount a turret or eject unwanted rear seat passengers if they don't agree with your political opinions. Sorry to use a photo of the Element but it has a ribbed roof similar to the FJC, which might be an issue for some installaters.

I've found an installer here in Houston through Webasto's website. They've been around a while and are interested in looking at the FJC. I'm just not sure yet if I want a big ass hole cut into my new FJC roof. Maybe.
hey pancho fyi i spoke with a top cheese dude from webasto before sema. i asked him to check out the fj ribs at sema. he did. they have something (forget the term) that fills in the rib section. He thought it would work. they really need to get a guinea pig fj once they come out to try one. I did a post on this some months ago. bottom line, it may be possible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pancho said:
Here's two Webasto products on the same H2 roof. Still not wide enough for you probably. They say the two glass panels in the GrandView product are 30"x27" and it's "the largest aftermarket sunroof available." You really just need a soft top don't you.

fyi webasto mhas two different grandview "panoramic" sunroofs. I don't think their site really shows interior pictures of them. you may need to do some google or yahoo searches to find compannies that show interior pictures of the 2 different sunroofs. i talked quite a bit with webasto about them both. One has two different top sliders. both open up and slide back. fresh air up front and in back. that one has a solid interior piece between the two glass panels. it looks like 2 different sunroofs from the inside. looks like solid glass from the top.

the other sunroof is glass front to rear. it just slides rearward giveing air mainly to the front passengers, but a total clear view for all passengers.

it's just a matter of which you prefer. would be really great if the double one had glass front to rear from the interior view.

In my opinion this is the best sunroof for a fj. cost is about $1300.00 depending on what an installer would charge.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
a less durable option would be something akin to the 318ti California, with a power ragtop. Might be fun (if noisy)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts