Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 150 lumen surefire flashlight and it is incredibly bright. I can't imagine having a 900 lumen flashlight, but I gotta get one of these!

There's no price on it yet, but I imagine it'll be around $700:

M6LT Guardian from SureFire

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I have a 150 lumen surefire flashlight and it is incredibly bright. I can't imagine having a 900 lumen flashlight, but I gotta get one of these!

There's no price on it yet, but I imagine it'll be around $700:

M6LT Guardian from SureFire
I can buy a lot of stuff with $700, but that sure looks nice. I can't imagine what my wife would say if I spent that kind of money for a flashlight.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
You could look at dive lights... UK light cannons or aquasuns can do 800+lm for about $200
Rugged.... and of course very waterproof. :lol:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The nice thing about Surefire is that they don't exaggerate the lumens rating. My 200 lumen E2DL out shines my “400 lumen” from Home Depot. Plus – quality is FAR superior (thus the pricetag) :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The nice thing about Surefire is that they don't exaggerate the lumens rating. My 200 lumen E2DL out shines my “400 lumen” from Home Depot. Plus – quality is FAR superior (thus the pricetag) :)
x2

Most companies over rate their lumens, using emitter lumens instead out the front (OTF) lumens. That with a lot of other factors determines the beam of a light.

I don't feel like typing this out again so here is a post that I wrote on another forum. It was in response to a 200 lumen flashlight appearing brighter than a 900 lumen bike light.

The 900 lumens is most likely the "emitter lumens" which a lot a light manufactures rate their lights at. Usually done by sellers based in Asia, particularly lights focused for people who want the most output for the least amount of money and typically don't know any better. Basically emitter lumens is the output right at the emitter, before any is lost from the reflector/lens/etc.

I never owned a Streamlight (SL), but I am making the assumption that they probably use Out The Front (OTF) lumens. This is the actual lumens after the ~30-45% loss from the reflector/lens/etc. Also some companies like Surefire are known for underrating their lights, but I'm not sure if SL is on the same boat.

What also matters for perceived brightness is the reflector properties, such as geometry and surface texture. This greatly affects the beam pattern which is typically compared. Having a smooth reflector decreases the amount of light lost compared to having a orange peel (OP), but the downside is a slightly "ringy" uneven beam. The Magicshine (MS) light has a orange peel reflector which reduces the amount of useable light.

Also the actual emitter itself plays a big role. Different LED's for different purposes. I'm not sure if they have changed the emitters since I got mine, but I'm assuming they still use a Seoul P7 emitter and the Streamlight probably uses a Cree XRE/XPG emitter (again assuming as I never owned one or handled one extensively). If you look at the LED it self (while off of course), the P7 of the MS compared to whatever the SL is using is noticeably bigger. The P7 LED is designed to put a lot of light over a large area. The small(er) surface area of the SL's LED is deigned to throw a more focused beam, meaning most of it's output in one area. This affects the beam patterns that you are comparing, a throwy 200 lumens (more focused hotspot) compared a ~500-600 OTF lumens that is spread over a large area (flood).

Also, IIRC it takes a 4x the lumens for us to notice the brightness being doubled. Lumens output is linear, but the way our eyes perceive it is not.

That being said, I am happy with my Magicshine 808 and I would recommend it to anyone that wants a decent light for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats my experience too. Let me say this: My 100 lumen Surefire U2 Ultra at night will:

1) cause extreme pain in the eyes and total and severe temporary blindness at anything less than 10 feet of distance
2) clearly illuminate my entire house front from 100 feet out
3) looks like a search light at about 50 feet...amazing
4) not dim when the battery juice gets lower...it has circuitry that holds the lumen at 100 regardless of battery power then just shuts down to a 2 lumen stead state mode...

This flashlight at 2 lumen is about the same brightness as my normal incandescent flashlight with fresh batteries.

I would expect an 800 lumen flashlight from surefire to be something that will someday require a license to own! Very dangerous... instant permanent blindness if viewed close up.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I paid $30 for my LED Maglite and I still hesitated a few times before I bought it. $700 for a flashlight Holy Hell !

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Tony, I saw that the other day but I didn't read till now. I can only wish that with that technology, the prices of other flashlight tech decreases. I'm "behind" in flashlight technology and it's still hurting my wallet. lol
I love seeing new technology.

ExtremeTech.com said:
The benefits of a laser headlamp are compelling: a near parallel beam of light 1,000 times more intense than conventional LEDs but with less than half the energy consumption; 170 lumens of output per watt for laser headlamps, compared to 100 lumens per watt for LEDs. Both are phenomenally efficient compared to a standard household light bulb; a 100-watt bulb produces about 1,000 lumens of illumination.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Love Surefire products. Currently running their G2..

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
43 Posts
Love Surefire products. Currently running their G2..

The G2s are awesome lights! I've got an incandescent in the FJ and a LED as a weapon mounted light. There is no comparison between the two in terms of light output and battery efficiency. If you want to get into Surefire LEDs without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend the G2 LED.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts