Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I just bought a Fenix TK45 and it's as bright as any flashlight I've ever seen. I saw some of the others listed here, but I am not a fan on non-standard batteries, and this one uses 8 rechargeable AA. Runs forever on a set, even on max power. Has three smaller LEDs with 4 brightness settings, with strobe, and built like a tank! My favorite light so far, but a bit pricey. But 760lumens from a light barely longer than two stacks of AA isn't ever cheap.

I also love that it's not even remotely round, stays in place even on steep surfaces.

Fenix's homepages

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I checked out the Thru-nite flashlights that somebody linked to above. They seem very cool too, but I have to believe there is some reason that the Surefire 900 lumen is $575 and the Thrunite is $170.

Why the extra $400? Surely not just the name....
Name, top notch customer support, quality materials, made in America, quality control, reliability, top notch R&D...

Maybe just a little over priced, but still somewhat worth it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Name, top notch customer support, quality materials, made in America, quality control, reliability, top notch R&D...

Maybe just a little over priced, but still somewhat worth it.

Most of the top brands have great customer support, quality materials But unfortunately no one brand is entirely made in the USA.

Here's an email I sent out to Surefire asking if their lights were made in the USA.

Dear Customer,
Unfortunately, this question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. Most SureFire flashlight components are made at our California factory, and all components are designed and assembled in the U.S.A. We use components made in the United States of America as much as possible. However, certain components may not be domestically available in sufficient quantities or performance specifications. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC): If the product is comprised of "all or virtually all" U.S. parts and labor, it may be labeled as “Made in the U.S.A.” Because of our decision to follow the strictest interpretation of the FTC guidelines, we choose not to pursue a “Made in the U.S.A.” label. However, the products cannot be classified as being made in any other country.

SureFire Suppressors and Edged Weapons are made entirely in the U.S.A.
Our flashlights do fall within the Department of Defense¹s qualifications for being of U.S. origin, which are somewhat less restrictive than the FTC’s.

Thank You

Greg Lin

Technical Support Representative

SUREFIRE, LLC
17680 Newhope St. Suite B I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 714-545-9444 ex. 5168 F 714-545-9537

So what are you paying for that most other top tier lights don't have??? Like I said I've owned and own many lights, I have several non-Surefire lights that I've beat to death; literally. I have Surefires they are good lights but I know there are better lights and I have payed considerable less for my non-Surefire lights that are better, brighter and can take quite a bit of punishment.

I'm not knocking Surefires or the peeps that use them (myself included) I just am trying to inform those that don't know and are trying to save money. There are great lights from other manufacturers and yes some aren't technically "Made in the US" but then you won't be paying that much.

Aloha...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Very informative message -- thanks for that. Can I ask what brands you have found as good as, or better than surefire? Certainly would like to save money if possible....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Very informative message -- thanks for that. Can I ask what brands you have found as good as, or better than surefire? Certainly would like to save money if possible....
Hello,
I'm sorry fj_dave that's a question that asks for more questions. Dang, sorry I sound like a politician. :bandit:
What are you looking for?
Thrower, flood, spill, ANSI ratings, OTF (out the front)ratings, UI (user interface), battery life, battery type, how many batteries, emitter type, color spectrum (cool white, neutral, warm), water resistant ratings (IPX mil-std 810, IEC) weight, size, color, mil spec coating hardness, tacticals, EDC (everyday carry) gun mountable, has additional accessories for purchase such as (colored lenses, frosted lenses, bike mounts, head mount..etc..). Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon or plastic bodies. Coated lenses and upgradeable to the latest and greatest.
You have to compare apples to apples. Flashlight to flashlight. I have these brands of lights and have had no problems with any of them except the Streamlight and Insight (not really a problem just a personal thing). Streamlight polytac works okay but just feels cheap and the Insight gun lights with xenon bulbs, bought 7 years ago, aren't easily upgradable nor easily modded.

Anyway here's the brands I own or have owned.
Fenix, 4seven's, Olight, ITP, Jetbeam, Romisen, Xeno, MG, Zebralight, Petzl, Streamlight, Insight, Blackhawk (modded twice) surefires with malkoff drop-ins. Surefire hosts with my own mods, 4D/2D maglites with malkoff drop-ins.

There are more lights out there that I want, NO, not want, I NEED.....MUAHHHAAA!

You pay for quality but it doesn't have to be outrageous. There is so much info and reviews online by merchants and real Flashaholics that really are into it and take the time to examine all the features of a light such as build, UI, emitter lumens, battery runtimes, wall shots, ceiling bounce shots, spill and hotspot, day and night shots with real numbers and graphs.

CandlePowerForums

Mods or those in the know.
I can't remember if I can link a vendor site but they have informative video's and reviews.
Mods please delete these sites below if I'm not allowed to do this.

Going Gear - Going Gear - Smyrna, Georgia

Welcome to LightJunction.com - The Best Deals for JETBeam, NiteCore, Fenix, Olight, and EagleTac LED Flashlights!

BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!

Good luck on your search to enlightenment!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hello,
I'm sorry fj_dave that's a question that asks for more questions. Dang, sorry I sound like a politician. :bandit:
What are you looking for?
Thrower, flood, spill, ANSI ratings, OTF (out the front)ratings, UI (user interface), battery life, battery type, how many batteries, emitter type, color spectrum (cool white, neutral, warm), water resistant ratings (IPX mil-std 810, IEC) weight, size, color, mil spec coating hardness, tacticals, EDC (everyday carry) gun mountable, has additional accessories for purchase such as (colored lenses, frosted lenses, bike mounts, head mount..etc..). Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon or plastic bodies. Coated lenses and upgradeable to the latest and greatest.
You have to compare apples to apples. Flashlight to flashlight. I have these brands of lights and have had no problems with any of them except the Streamlight and Insight (not really a problem just a personal thing). Streamlight polytac works okay but just feels cheap and the Insight gun lights with xenon bulbs, bought 7 years ago, aren't easily upgradable nor easily modded.

Anyway here's the brands I own or have owned.
Fenix, 4seven's, Olight, ITP, Jetbeam, Romisen, Xeno, MG, Zebralight, Petzl, Streamlight, Insight, Blackhawk (modded twice) surefires with malkoff drop-ins. Surefire hosts with my own mods, 4D/2D maglites with malkoff drop-ins.

There are more lights out there that I want, NO, not want, I NEED.....MUAHHHAAA!

You pay for quality but it doesn't have to be outrageous. There is so much info and reviews online by merchants and real Flashaholics that really are into it and take the time to examine all the features of a light such as build, UI, emitter lumens, battery runtimes, wall shots, ceiling bounce shots, spill and hotspot, day and night shots with real numbers and graphs.

CandlePowerForums

Mods or those in the know.
I can't remember if I can link a vendor site but they have informative video's and reviews.
Mods please delete these sites below if I'm not allowed to do this.

Going Gear - Going Gear - Smyrna, Georgia

Welcome to LightJunction.com - The Best Deals for JETBeam, NiteCore, Fenix, Olight, and EagleTac LED Flashlights!

BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!

Good luck on your search to enlightenment!
:read:

(sound of fj_dave passing out on the floor from information overload)

:freak5:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
jameykini, If I recall correctly, the general acceptance of why they gave that answer is because of the emitter. Most of the light is made and developed in house except for the emitter made by companies that produce them overseas.

I have played with half the lights you have listed and in my opinion none come as close the the quality of Surefire. I'm not saying they aren't great lights for the money, I have mini123 that gets more pocket time than my SF's, but I wouldn't consider them as the same level as SF. I am not talking about output or UI, but rather the materials and construction of the light. The threads and the anodizing for the most part make the lights feel cheap. The selector ring on my friends Jetbeam and Fenix can't even hold a candle to my U2.

That leaves QC and reliability. I don't rely on my lights in life or death situations, but it's nice to know that it will work properly when I pick it up.

I am a bit of a SF fanboy, but they make great products... especially when bought for cheaper off the marketplace :lol:

·
Registered
315 Posts
jameykini, If I recall correctly, the general acceptance of why they gave that answer is because of the emitter. Most of the light is made and developed in house except for the emitter made by companies that produce them overseas.
Hello,
I agree on the quality of the SF's, great lights,,, for hosts:).
On the subject of the email, I originally thought the same thing, it's the emitter that's made overseas. But then I thought of all the components to make a LED flashlight. Off the top of my head.
The driver,
emitter,
emitter board MCPBP,
glass with various coatings,
aluminum or optic reflectors,
springs,
rubber caps,
clips,
screws,
o-rings,
wire,
on/off User interface switch of some type,
plus the host or the actual bodies made out of Aluminum, stainless,titanium, carbon or plastic,

I don't think SF is going to make all of these items in-house as the parts would cost to much to make. I think his answer eluded to only the emitter but the more I think about it from a business point of view it doesn't make sense. Really how many electronic parts are actually made in the US? For that matter how many machined parts are made in USA.
Why would a company want to put the made IN USA label on an item when it's a moot point. Surefires sell no matter if it's made here or there.
Quality is quality whether your buying from Japan (hmmm, FJ), Germany, China or here. Junk is Junk, it can be made here or anywhere else.

I have played with half the lights you have listed and in my opinion none come as close the the quality of Surefire. I'm not saying they aren't great lights for the money, I have mini123 that gets more pocket time than my SF's, but I wouldn't consider them as the same level as SF. I am not talking about output or UI, but rather the materials and construction of the light. The threads and the anodizing for the most part make the lights feel cheap. The selector ring on my friends Jetbeam and Fenix can't even hold a candle to my U2.

That leaves QC and reliability. I don't rely on my lights in life or death situations, but it's nice to know that it will work properly when I pick it up.

I am a bit of a SF fanboy, but they make great products... especially when bought for cheaper off the marketplace :lol:
Every company has their own QC that makes sure they have a good product based on price/profit. I'm not a chest pounding, soapbox standing fan of any brand of flashlights, that's why I have so many including SF's. You stated above that you don't like your friends Jetbeam or Fenix selector ring, well that's a feature that some do. I could list a few things I don't like about my surefires, well not since I modded them but those "were" the things "I didn't like". And I could list all the things I do. But I'm very bias as to what makes a good flashlight and obviously you too.

Here's what I put out there to all. I make no claims as to what flashlight to buy I'm simply stating that there are more brands just as good as SF that cost less. Do the research, I supplied a few links there's bueacoup info, have fun and be careful you might get drawn into the light

Aloha...J

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem with high powered Surefires is that the battery life is very short. Even on some of their smaller lights it's short enough. I like Surefires and have a L5 and 6 spare batterys in my survival kit. For routine uses in the vehicle I prefer a Mini Maglite with a Luxeon LED conversion bulb and a push button switch on the back. I have both a red lens one and a clear lens variety in my vehicles at all times. I also have the Nite Eze headband that fits the Mini Maglight in there to aid in changing tires in the dark if necessary. I have quite a few streamlights and Maglites of various sizes and descriptions and have converted all of the bulbs to LED's, for longer bulb life, more light, and longer battery life. An LED will shine if the battery has any charge left whereas an incandescent bulb won't shine when the battery drops below a certain point.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife and I both carry the Surefire Executive Defender (non-LED) and I travel with the spare bulb and battery kit. Battery and bulb life is not great, but the quality and customer service is great. If you have a problem they will send you a replacement part without asking for any proof of purchase. The new LED version claims to have a 76-hour run-time on the low setting which is great for emergency use. I also carry a cheaper 120 lumen Kobalt from Lowes that was only $39 and it comes with a great case and a bi-directional clip so you can put it in your pocket lens up or down. Their 500 Lumens model is only about $20 more.

Shop kobalt flashlight at Lowes.com: Search Results

I have been wanting the 200 lumen LED from 5.11. It only has a 1 hour run time, but it recharges in only 90 seconds so it balances out. I was waiting on reviews to see if the quick charge really worked and the reviews seems to support that.

Light For Life Flashlight PC3.300 | Tactical Flashlights | 5.11 Tactical

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use a Fenix LD-01 LED 72 lumens as an EDC light, AAA battery aluminum body, and reasonable price. I've also got an E21 Fenix 150 lumens.

Both are every bit as nice as my Surefire in terms of build quality. I recommend them both.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The problem with high powered Surefires is that the battery life is very short. Even on some of their smaller lights it's short enough.
That's only the case for their incandescent line that is slowly dwindling away. Most LED's are a great improvement interms of efficiency over incans. There is also the topic of color rendition which incans have a great advantage over LED's.

My wife and I both carry the Surefire Executive Defender (non-LED) and I travel with the spare bulb and battery kit. Battery and bulb life is not great, but the quality and customer service is great. If you have a problem they will send you a replacement part without asking for any proof of purchase. The new LED version claims to have a 76-hour run-time on the low setting which is great for emergency use. I also carry a cheaper 120 lumen Kobalt from Lowes that was only $39 and it comes with a great case and a bi-directional clip so you can put it in your pocket lens up or down. Their 500 Lumens model is only about $20 more.

I have been wanting the 200 lumen LED from 5.11. It only has a 1 hour run time, but it recharges in only 90 seconds so it balances out. I was waiting on reviews to see if the quick charge really worked and the reviews seems to support that.
I've carried one of my E2D's for a few years before I got the LED version. Big improvement in my opinion. I actually snatched another E2DL for dirt cheap for my GF as well.

Be careful when looking at lumen ratings though. A flashlight's brightness has many other factors than just lumen ratings. Top it off with the fact that most companies user "Emitter" ratings over "Out The Front" lumens that a lot of decent makers use.

I am actually in the process of writing an article for Toyota Trails magazine on this very subject.

Hello,
I agree on the quality of the SF's, great lights,,, for hosts:).

I don't think SF is going to make all of these items in-house as the parts would cost to much to make. I think his answer eluded to only the emitter but the more I think about it from a business point of view it doesn't make sense. Really how many electronic parts are actually made in the US? For that matter how many machined parts are made in USA.
Why would a company want to put the made IN USA label on an item when it's a moot point. Surefires sell no matter if it's made here or there.
Quality is quality whether your buying from Japan (hmmm, FJ), Germany, China or here. Junk is Junk, it can be made here or anywhere else.

Every company has their own QC that makes sure they have a good product based on price/profit. I'm not a chest pounding, soapbox standing fan of any brand of flashlights, that's why I have so many including SF's. You stated above that you don't like your friends Jetbeam or Fenix selector ring, well that's a feature that some do. I could list a few things I don't like about my surefires, well not since I modded them but those "were" the things "I didn't like". And I could list all the things I do. But I'm very bias as to what makes a good flashlight and obviously you too.

Here's what I put out there to all. I make no claims as to what flashlight to buy I'm simply stating that there are more brands just as good as SF that cost less. Do the research, I supplied a few links there's bueacoup info, have fun and be careful you might get drawn into the light

Aloha...J
Soooo I just got a Fenix TK41 yesterday :lol:

While I am still sticking to my opinion of SF being the superior flashlight manufacturer, this TK41 is pretty nice.

The overall construction is top notch, but still doesn't have that same "feel" as a SureFire. The output is amazing and the UI has been reliable so far despite my pressing the on/off & mode switch buttons fanatically.

Though I got this light as a gift (I did ask for it) I would still recommend this light as a great bang for the buck light.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use a TerraLux LED 300 lumen hand held, and a 500 on it sway soon. The size of a AA 2 cell, but bright enough to blind you..

They also make All size MagLite drop ins (up to 1000 lumen I do believe) that are brighter then anything I have ever seen from a LED.
Worth your time if you need a new one.

http://www.terraluxportable.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 150 lumen surefire flashlight and it is incredibly bright. I can't imagine having a 900 lumen flashlight, but I gotta get one of these!

There's no price on it yet, but I imagine it'll be around $700:

M6LT Guardian from SureFire
I have a Surefire account if anyone would like to get some stuff for cheap. I got the X400 for my Glock 19.

·
Registered
28 Posts
41 - 60 of 111 Posts