Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i got these installed and balanced.. balancing took a while but i am satisfied with the ride.. its by no means smooth but it is by far better than i expected. There is no wheel shake at all and a very very slight shiver at about 75 or so but goes away.

my real issue is the gas mileage... did these things seriously just drop my MPG from 20 or so at 65mph on the highway to 14.5?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: Super Swamper LTB's installed 34x10.5x17 Those with similar size or same tires comein

SO i got these installed and balanced.. balancing took a while but i am satisfied with the ride.. its by no means smooth but it is by far better than i expected. There is no wheel shake at all and a very very slight shiver at about 75 or so but goes away.

my real issue is the gas mileage... did these things seriously just drop my MPG from 20 or so at 65mph on the highway to 14.5?
You do know that your speedo is off now right?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do know that your speedo is off now right?
yep... got my scan gauge adjusted to match my GPS. so the MPG is still reading accurately.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: Super Swamper LTB's installed 34x10.5x17 Those with similar size or same tires comein

:rocker: What's up bro. I have the same setup as you 34" swamper with 17" black moto wheels. Watch out for crack's within the tire depth. My first set of wheels had them, I took them back after 5 months of use, and 4wheelparts replaced them for free. I love the tires, there badass.

my real issue is the gas mileage... did these things seriously just drop my MPG from 20 or so at 65mph on the highway to 14.5?[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts

I would say yes, they raise the vehicle up even more, allowing more air to flow underneath and have a much higher rolling resistance than stockers.

I had LTBs switched out to the SSR 285/75 R16s (33.9") and have about the same milage. Get about 230 miles per tank with combined driving. 14.5 MPG is a good day when you have a supercharger, roof rack, and lots of armor.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cool thanks for the replies guys.. im gonna pop these off here shortly and just keep them as fun tires.. i don't think i could last the 900+ mile trip to Colorado in a month with the LTBs on there :) neither could my wallet.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

just switching to 285 all/terrains dropped my mpg by 2, so i would assume yours is pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

I'm down to about 15 like you. I did realize that my pressure wasn't where I thought they were. I was running at 35 instead of 45. I'll check it again after this tank.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts

Consider regearing. You're giving yourself much more road resistance at lower engine RPM. If you go to a better ring and pinion gear ratio, you'll get some of that back.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Consider regearing. You're giving yourself much more road resistance at lower engine RPM. If you go to a better ring and pinion gear ratio, you'll get some of that back.
Definitely thinking about that. It's borderline. 33.6 OD. Bit tall, for the gears, but not really tall enough to be lugging. If I'm at 35, it's a no-brainer, but at this OD, it's kind of hard to decide where the mod money goes.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts

best reply you've gotten IMO

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

where would i even go to get something like that and whats that run?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts

The art of building up an offroad vehicle is, in part, sourcing components! It's great when there are engineered kits available to do a job, but sometimes there are just oddball collections of parts. Fortunately, the parts often cooperate... but not always.

In this case they do, and if you're interested in 4.56:1 gears (perfect for 34" tires) you can get the assembled collection of appropriate parts from All-Pro.

Changing out ring and pinion gears is an ADVANCED garage project. It requires a huge amount of patience and some trial and error fit-up. If you're not up to the DIY project, then you're going to pay for someone's shop time, and I can't factor that in for you.

The gears for front and back will go about 750 total, plus you'll end up needing the "master install kits" that allow them to beat the old gears out with a mallet, and then replace the bearings. Master install kits front and back will probably go for about the rest of the first thousand.

Then, there's a catch. 4.56's don't fit on your existing front differential, if you've got the AT. You have to swap out the "carrier" and have them put the old side and pinion gears into the new carrier or else swap out the whole assembly. I just went with an ARB air locker which must have been about 800. If you go that route (which I'm very happy that I did), then there's a SECOND catch... the ARB air locker needs an air source... and it might as well be an ARB air compressor. That's another couple hundred bucks.

I'll throw in the plug that All-Pro can supply you all of that stuff at a competetive price... and you can find a gear head locally who can do the installation for you for shop time. If you want to start working to decrease your expenditures, you can hunt for the correct parts from other vendors, but it's a lot of hunting to do.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Really good differential guys are worth their weight in gold; so check around and get the best. It's worth it in the long run (and they're generally not anymore expensive than the competition.......just harder to book an appointment with). I'm waiting on a set of 4.10's for my FJ as we speak.

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Really good differential guys are worth their weight in gold; so check around and get the best. It's worth it in the long run (and they're generally not anymore expensive than the competition.......just harder to book an appointment with). I'm waiting on a set of 4.10's for my FJ as we speak.

Jim
Are you running 33s?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts