Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I have a 2008 TT FJ Cruiser that I'm getting a TRD supercharger put on it. Being from Louisiana, I love to play in the mud. I want to get a snorkel but I don't know if it will conflict with the s/c. Does anyone have any experience mating a supercharged engines with a snorkel? Does it provide enough air? Does it provide any HP/Torque gains from colder intake temps? Should i worry about a transmission cooler after getting the s/c? I don't plan on running WOT all day long but i don't want to have to worry about the transmission if i go WOT especially in mud holes and such. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'm new here and I have a 2008 TT FJ Cruiser that I'm getting a TRD supercharger put on it. Being from Louisiana, I love to play in the mud. I want to get a snorkel but I don't know if it will conflict with the s/c. Does anyone have any experience mating a supercharged engines with a snorkel? Does it provide enough air? Does it provide any HP/Torque gains from colder intake temps? Should i worry about a transmission cooler after getting the s/c? I don't plan on running WOT all day long but i don't want to have to worry about the transmission if i go WOT especially in mud holes and such. Thanks for any help.
Saw one last week at the dealership. Guy had ARB snorkle, TRD CAI and supercharger. he never even heard of this site before. lol it's weird, I forgot what it's like to NOT have the forum.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The snorkel has other advantages to water crossings. It provides more air flow than necessary for the snorkel, and it has uses other than water crossings. It draws in air from a cooler, cleaner location that improves performance in a number of ways.

·
Registered
452 Posts
U R right TFJ! That's why I'm still considering it...just not on the priority list of mods:). I wheeled Moab with w5wi and bernd in the heat of summer and
w5wi was running cooler than bernd under the hood temp from thier guage.

Thanks for the heads up:rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Yup, the SC and the snorkel should work perfectly fine together.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have the S/C and snorkel. Started off with an aFe CAi as well, but went back to the OME intake b/c it is easier to seal. As far as intake temps go, with the aFe I saw a negligible 3-5 degree gain (12-15 over ambient), but with the snorkel it runs 0-5 over ambient, so more of a true "cold" air intake :D With the TRD or aFe you need to be aware of the vacuum provided by the S/C and the direct input and radial filter. The airflow is great, but it literally sucks in water on the highway (ask me how I know...) Reversing the snorkel head mitigates this, but is still concern.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks guys i really appreciate the input. I think i'll stick with the stock intake because it does seem to seal up alittle better. Please share your story on how the snorkel sucks up water on the interstate! When Safari comes out with the 2008 snorkel that fits the cyclone prefilter i'll be ready to get it. Now i just have to convince the dealership not to yank my warrantee!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Wow thanks guys i really appreciate the input. I think i'll stick with the stock intake because it does seem to seal up alittle better. Please share your story on how the snorkel sucks up water on the interstate! When Safari comes out with the 2008 snorkel that fits the cyclone prefilter i'll be ready to get it. Now i just have to convince the dealership not to yank my warrantee!
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...05-snorkel-true-cai-water-intake-caution.html

If the TRD S/C is installed by Toyota it will be covered under your factory warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The current Safari Snorkel will work with the cyclonic prefilter (it certainly works on mine and the many others I've installed...). You will need to trim the connecting hose provided with the snorkel, as the cyclonic filter end cannot be trimmed like the standard pre-filter...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I'm getting the s/c installed at the dealership so that's all good. I was referring to the snorkel voiding my warranty. Thanks for the link btw when/if i get a snorkel i'll be sure to turn it around. I know the current safari snorkel fits, but the new snorkel coming out means no trimming of the tubing :)!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Yea I'm getting the s/c installed at the dealership so that's all good. I was referring to the snorkel voiding my warranty. Thanks for the link btw when/if i get a snorkel i'll be sure to turn it around. I know the current safari snorkel fits, but the new snorkel coming out means no trimming of the tubing :)!
the only thing the snorkle will void warranty on is the fender you cut a hole in.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
the only thing the snorkle will void warranty on is the fender you cut a hole in.
X2 There is no reason the snorkel should affect your warranty unless you suck up water from not sealing it properly, but then you would have sucked up water without the snorkel too so it's really no different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts