Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I know there are a few supercharger threads out there. (They seem to degrade into endless debate, and a question about when the 2010+ supercharger will be available... :wink )

I have recently bought an 07 that is in great shape with 70k miles on it. I think supercharging is a moral imperative.

It seems like most of the installs that I see in other threads were done of fairly new FJ's. 70k is not that many miles for a Toyota, but has anyone installed a supercharger on a "higher" mileage FJ?

For those that have a charged beast, how has it held up over the miles?

I am leaning toward the URD option. I like the possible upgradability and some of the anti "blow up" features of the controller.

Any feedback is appreciated!

---The Mad Engineer...

Cool Sig... TBD

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I just had a TRD supercharger installed at 60k and the dealership was happy to do it. It's a 2008 but still under full warranty so, presumably, if they thought it was going to cause problems they wouldn't have done it. As long as the truck has been well maintained and hasn't had any problems, I would imagine 70k is no big deal.

As a side note, they quoted me 9 hours of labor to install. During the install they noticed my water pump had a very slight leak and so replaced it for free under warranty. My warranty expires in 6 months so, as far as I'm concerned, the SC install was free since the water pump issue was unlikely to be noticed until after the warranty expired and would potentially be a lot more than 9 hours of labor if it had gotten worse.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
You notice a huge difference in performance?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
In my opinion I don't see a problem with the 70K, however the main reason to be going the URD option is if your looking for more horse power than is provided in the TRD SC which in turn wil increase your "blow up" concerns not reduce. The TRD has been a very reliable power boost all around, for more control and tweaking you could add a aftermarket controller to the TRD version, change the pulley and see more power gain.... Bottom line is increased boost pressure = more power = more mechanical stress = Blow up risk. No controller can change the added mechanical stress from boost pressure.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
You notice a huge difference in performance?
Yes. Driving on the highway it makes no difference (you can't even hear it unless you downshift) but, so far, around town it has been impossible to resist the urge to slam on the gas at every stoplight. It's enough power that, from a stop, you can briefly break lose 285s on heavy wheels. I've only had it installed for about 24 hours but, I keep coming up with excuses to drive it some more. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Yes. Driving on the highway it makes no difference (you can't even hear it unless you downshift) but, so far, around town it has been impossible to resist the urge to slam on the gas at every stoplight. It's enough power that, from a stop, you can briefly break lose 285s on heavy wheels. I've only had it installed for about 24 hours but, I keep coming up with excuses to drive it some more. Worth every penny.

:lol: :rocker:

I've only seen one FJ set the rear tires loose...briefly...., but he had no S/C, and was ABUSING his FJ doing brake stand type maneuvers to make it happen :lol:

I'm surprised there is no difference on the freeway though...

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
:lol: :rocker:

I've only seen one FJ set the rear tires loose...briefly...., but he had no S/C, and was ABUSING his FJ doing brake stand type maneuvers to make it happen :lol:

I'm surprised there is no difference on the freeway though...
Well, at cruising speeds you aren't giving it enough throttle input to get into boost. If you are going up a hill or passing a car, it's very, very noticeable ("Oh, crap, I'm going 90mph"). I live about 8000ft above sea level and can squeal the tires with a medium amount of throttle input. At sea level, I imagine it would be a monster.

Of course it's ok to install later too. I have a set waiting for installation time, I have now 85k in the clock. Wish I had time... can't wait.
I'll reiterate: Worth every penny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think there would be a problem at this mileage.

Probably won't pull the trigger until around Christmas when I have the time to do the install...

I will keep you posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts