Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 FJ 114K. Annoying whine from engine started last winter when cold. Diagnosed as power steering pump so mechanic changed it in November. Now it's back with a vengeance-more of a screech. Lasts 15-20 seconds when cold, then disappears. Think I have isolated it to one of the supercharger pulleys. Replaced serpentine belt-no change. Can't buy single pulley new-come as a kit with supercharger. Any ideas that don't involve pulling/replacing supercharger would be welcome. Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like a failing drive belt idler pulley. You should just replace all 3 of them at once. Can also be the tensioner.

1 x 1660331040 (aka 166030P030)
2 x 1660431020 (aka 166040P011)

1 x 1662031013 (Tensioner)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I relax/ remove supercharger serpantine belt and sound disappears, then what? Do part numbers you sent include supercharger pulleys? Thanks. Wayne

·
Registered
809 Posts
If I relax/ remove supercharger serpantine belt and sound disappears, then what? Do part numbers you sent include supercharger pulleys? Thanks. Wayne
I'd pull the belt and check the pulleys by hand.

Those listed above are stock ones needed, the supercharger has an extra ribbed pulley and a smooth one. The bracket is PTR29-35090-AC, not sure if you can get those pulleys separately. Checking with my parts buddy, and will update shortly unless someone else chimes in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your help. Showed this to mechanic and he agrees with your trouble shooting. It's over there now. Am hoping it's the other pulleys. Will know more Thursday. Will let you know. PS-I did have the kit installed about 4 years ago when I asked Toyota to lubricate Supercharger. They did spin supercharger by hand when I had new belt installed. Said it felt/sounded ok. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's idler pulley.

·
Registered
809 Posts
PTR29-35090-AC
This service part is the 1GR SC Upper Idler Bracket Assembly (Bag D in the installation instructions). It consists of the following parts:Idler Bracket, 2.15" dia Flat Steel Idler Pulley, 2.30" dia Ribbed Steel Idler Pulley, qty 2 M10 x 1.5 x 40mm long Flanged Hex Head Bolt, qty 2 Spacers, qty 3 M8 x 1.25 x 20mm long Flanged Hex Head Bolt
We weren't able to find the pulleys alone. I'm pretty sure they're Magnuson parts, you might be able to get from them from a re-seller without the whole bracket. URD would be a good place to ask.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
can you replace just the bearing? If it is pressed in, that would be the cheapest and most economical repair rather than replace the whole pulley.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
"Now it's back with a vengeance-more of a screech. Lasts 15-20 seconds when cold, then disappears."

This is the classic sound of a "slipping belt", and not a defective pulley bearing. If a bearing is bad, the sound would be present continuously, not just a few seconds after startup.

I'd re-check belt tension and tensioner, and check the belt face for signs of "glazing" due to slippage or age.

·
Registered
809 Posts
can you replace just the bearing? If it is pressed in, that would be the cheapest and most economical repair rather than replace the whole pulley.
Definitely do-able but a good quality bearing of that size would probably cost as much as the whole assembly unless you've got a hook up.

FWIW, When my pulley went I had a high pitch metal on metal squeal/chirp when cold for the first 20-30 seconds of warm-up. The seal failed and it was getting water inside and corroding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help. FJ sitting over night at shop with serpantine belt off. Will start it Thursday morning to see what's up. Will update then. 🙄

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the "startup and squeal for a few seconds issue" previously when it was really cold out and the vehicle had sat overnight. I don't have a supercharger, so take this with a grain of salt. The cold startup squeal stopped when I replaced the power steering fluid with a synthetic fluid. I don't know if that is because the pump itself was squealing, or if the synthetic fluid stays more true to it's viscosity at lower temps than a non-synthetic which makes it spin freer which then makes the belt not slip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad news for me. Squeal coming from one of the two upper super charger pulleys. On Magnuson website-Not much help there that I can see, but I'm kind of useless looking at this stuff. PhoS gave me parts numbers but think those are for the lower tensioner/pulleys. Guess I am back to new manifold and associated parts. Lost the original stuff in ONE of my moves😞 Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PS. Can't talk directly to Magnuson so emailed them with FJ specs and issue. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wayne

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay-parts coming from Magnuson. Think it's two pulleys. Lots better than new supercharger or restore to original. $760 + labor but should be good to go in about a week. Hope that will help with community knowledge base. Thanks so much for all you folk's time and effort for me. Wayne

·
Registered
809 Posts
Okay-parts coming from Magnuson. Think it's two pulleys. Lots better than new supercharger or restore to original. $760 + labor but should be good to go in about a week. Hope that will help with community knowledge base. Thanks so much for all you folk's time and effort for me. Wayne
$760 ouch, hopefully you're getting some extras for that deal. I saw that bracket online for under $400 at a few different places. Toyota parts wants $560 for it. 🥶

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$760 ouch, hopefully you're getting some extras for that deal. I saw that bracket online for under $400 at a few different places. Toyota parts wants $560 for it. 🥶

Magnusson sent pulley assembles. Had them installed and screech/chatter gone. Purrs like a cat(tiger). Price actually included labor. This issue fooled lots of folks. Had power steering pump done first. OUCH Upper S/C pulley pretty messed up. Thanks for your help. Wayne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts